Fiero Dew Wipes

This is a place for vendors to showcase their products.
txf

Fiero Dew Wipes

Post by txf »

SETS OF OUTER DEW WIPES IN STOCK Image
I'm selling sets of hand made inner and outer dew wipes.

OUTER DEW WIPES
I installed my trial pair (first set made) on my personal 87GT. They fit great. These are made using the correct rivets so nothing protrudes from either side. I can only make these as I have time so they are first come first serve. All steel parts are laser cut and CNC Bent. They are built as close to factory spec and appearance as possible with materials available at this time. Research never stops on looking for the exact materials needed to make the OEM PRODUCED STYLE MADE 20+ years ago.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Price is $100 per pair. $50 Each

I can offer single sides if needed

INNER DEW WIPES

I also make inner dew wipes as well. These are made by using another GM Part to start with. They hold on a lot tighter to the seam on the door and do not require the hold down bracket for those using different door panels. They look and function GREAT.

Price is $80 a pair. $40 each.

I can also supply you with some pieces of the felt to allow you to recover your original Guides, upon request.

Shipping is about $14 now for USA shipments. I have no problems shipping to any other country, but I will have to look up the price to ship.

Most orders are shipped with Insurance.
I have seen others take payment up front and have problems during the process and then get bashed for it so I will not do that.

FEEDBACK

"Mine just arrived. they came very well packaged in the triangular box and nicely wrapped with bubble plastic. the first thing i noticed was how thick and fluffy the widow guide thing looked in comparison to those that are in my car. It'll be nice to have something soft guiding the window instead of the flattened "window scratcher" thats in there now.
overall the workmanship is great. These look like they were made by GM or an Aftermarket company like YearOne.
this work is far better than anything i could have ever done, and likely for less money than i would have to invest to be able to do it so well.
over all i give them an 11/10.
I really have to hand it to you Stu, these are awesome parts. well made, good design, nice and simple.
Thanks a lot for the parts, and keep up the good work. "

"Your dew wipes were a hit. You should be getting a few orders from today's show. ....... (Old Europe User) was very impressed, and said they are better than the Fiero Store dew wipes."

"I think they look factory to me. other than slight color varations never seen once in the car. I'm a 100% happy."

"I just received my set...Thank you they look amazing!!"

"I am very pleased with the dew wipes I got from you. If you choose to continue to make these I would encourage anyone to buy these from you. They really are a nice product."

"Got my 2 sets yesterday!! Beautiful workmanship, and worth every penny!!
If every vendor/seller/buyer worked like Stu, there would be no need for a good/bad list. "

"Stu, got 'em last week and installed them yesterday, AWESOME PRODUCT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"mine showed up....they look great...very well manufactured, high quality...cant wait to install them along with my new windows...thanks again.."

"Stu thanks for a well made product ,install them last week and fit perfect thank you."

"I really appreciate what TFS does for our cars, and the support they go to for our shows...
And I know that their wipes are better than cracked dried old ones...
But you guys are missing out on fantastic quality with the STU-wipes.
the man almost has them down to a work of art."

"I love my DIY-STU wipes as well. They are amazing, and look great!!"
Last edited by txf on Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Sounds good to me.
admin
Admin is not Howard

Post by admin »

These aren't F body dew wipes that have been cut shorter have they?
txf

Post by txf »

Not a chance in hell. These are 100% hand made. Hell I would allow friends to help because I'm so picky about them being as perfect as they can be. Nothing but Praises. I can't punch out the quantity that TFS wants so they enlisted the Chinese to make them. All their brackets have round holes instead of slotted so this can make fitment an issue since they're slotted due to loose tolerances in the drilling of the door panel for mounting screws.

Fiero Store Dew wipe quotes.

"Bought some from the Fiero store. Though I think they are shit.....

"Lets see if they last but I doubt it. Thanks,xxx"

"I received my dew wipes from the Fiero Store today and am actually pretty impressed. First, it comes with both outer window guide pads and 2 inner pads mounted in the center. I believe they used some sort of aluminum because they bend very easily so you have to be careful just holding them. The only gripe that I have is that they are made if vinyl....not rubber so we will have to see how long they hold out in the weather."

"Pretty much the same here. I got mine Friday. First impressions are good but the heat and dry here in Southern CA will be the test."

"the dew wipes from Fiero Store are just sitting on my shelf. To just give you a quick run down of the quality, the metal strip that runs down the center is thin aluminum. When I received them the strip was rippled so I had to straighten it out on both wipes, the pads that are on either end are a cheap felt material that is glued using contact cement, the brackets that hold the pads are also thin aluminum so the window will probably rattle, most importantly, the rubber is NOT rubber, it is a soft vinyl with what looks like spray can felt sprayed on the rear. As I said, I bought these because my car is garaged"

DIY_Stu Dew Wipe quotes.

"Mine just arrived. they came very well packaged in the triangular box and nicely wrapped with bubble plastic. the first thing i noticed was how thick and fluffy the widow guide thing looked in comparison to those that are in my car. It'll be nice to have something soft guiding the window instead of the flattened "window scratcher" thats in there now.
overall the workmanship is great. These look like they were made by GM or an Aftermarket company like YearOne.
this work is far better than anything i could have ever done, and likely for less money than i would have to invest to be able to do it so well.
over all i give them an 11/10.
I really have to hand it to you Stu, these are awesome parts. well made, good design, nice and simple.
Thanks a lot for the parts, and keep up the good work. "

"Your dew wipes were a hit. You should be getting a few orders from today's show. xxx (P..ff User) was very impressed, and said they are better than the Fiero Store dew wipes."

"Got mine a few days ago, they look great Thanks Stu!"

"I think they look factory to me. other than slight color varations never seen once in the car. I'm a 100% happy."

"I just received my set...Thank you they look amazing!!"

"I need a pair asap. But I will wait if I have to cause everyone here will vouch on the quality."

"I am very pleased with the dew wipes I got from you. If you choose to continue to make these I would encourage anyone to buy these from you. They really are a nice product."

"Got my 2 sets yesterday!! Beautiful workmanship, and worth every penny!!
If every vendor/seller/buyer worked like Stu, there would be no need for a good/bad list."

"It was not a bunch of fun installing these, but I did both my cars, and they look great. The windows now operate a bit mor freely as well. Good products, I would buy them again, but would not like to do the job again! Unfortunately, I am certain this will be in my future somewhere down the road, I hope these are still available then. Keep up the good work Stu."

"Stu, got 'em last week and installed them yesterday, AWESOME PRODUCT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"mine showed up....they look great...very well manufactured, high quality...cant wait to install them along with my new windows...thanks again.."

"Stu thanks for a well made product ,install them last week and fit perfect thankyou."

"I really appreciate what TFS does for our cars, and the support they go to for our shows...
And I know that their wipes are better than cracked dried old ones...
But you guys are missing out on fantastic quality with the STU-wipes.
the man almost has them down to a work of art."

"I love my DIY-STU wipes as well. They are amazing, and look great!!"

"I have had my hands on DIY_STU's and gave them a good look see. They are first class # 1's. "
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Oh, so you're DIY-Stu! I've ordered your dew-wipes and I am very happy with them. I can vouch for the quality of his product.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

edit.
Last edited by Unsafe At Any Speed on Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
txf

Post by txf »

I can't give discounts. The quality is far worth the price. These are hand made. If you estimate the price minus cost to make then I earn less than $8 an hour making these things. They literally take a lot of my time. I don't watch TV because it slows my work. try not to be on the computer much. and leave the wife and kid inside while I'm out here. So discounts? no. I won't even give club members or even close friends discounts.
Unsafe At Any Speed

edit.
Last edited by Unsafe At Any Speed on Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
txf

Post by txf »

POSTED BY IMSA GT on Old Europe

Since there has been quite an uproar over the dew wipes that are now available from member DIY_Stu and the Fiero Store, I decided to do a review on both manufacturers. I was fortunate enough to acquire a set of Stu's dew wipes the other day and also a set from the Fiero Store. The first thought through my head was "hey, they look the same". That was about the ONLY time I could ever say that again. First off, I did some pretty extensive tests on both sets. I poked, prodded, and even did a moisture test on all the materials. I then measured and tested all the fasteners in comparison to my stock dew wipes that I removed from my car. So now, on to the pics.

First off, both sets side by side. Fiero Store on top and Stu's on the bottom. You can already see the difference in quality.

Next, a shot of the window pads and mirror bracket. If you notice that Stu's bracket, on the bottom, is black and the Fiero Stores is bare metal. Stu coats all exposed metal with a ceramic primer and paint to prevent rust and corrosion. Also notice the quality of the pads....I'll address that later.

The center pads from Stu are a factory felt material where the Fiero Store is some sort of shaggy carpet.

One of the more disturbing things is the felt flocking that is supposed to slide along the glass. The Fiero Store flocking looks like it came out of a spray can and is actually missing in some spots.
Fiero Store:

DIY_Stu:

The metal strip that is run through the center of the wipes is essential to hold the rubber and provide rigidity for mounting. The next 2 pics speak for themselves.
Fiero Store:

DIY_Stu:

The pads that keep the window from excess flex and vibration when open are an important part that really have to work correctly. The Fiero Store pad is just a curved piece of steel where Stu has the proper bend and height on his dew wipes.
Fiero Store:

DIY_Stu:

As I mentioned before, I did a water test on the pads and the rubber. What I found was pretty interesting. When spraying the Fiero Stores pads and felt lining with water, the material acted like a sponge. Basically, it was like washing a cat. It starts out fluffy but when wet, turns to a rat. The pads remained wet for 3 hours which is a bad thing due to rust. Stu's pads dried off within 20 minutes and the felt did not absorb the water at all. Also, Stu uses a permanent adhesive and wraps the felt around the metal of the pads. Fiero Store uses contact cement which I can peel off with my fingers and they put a strip on either side of the pad rather than wrap it around the metal. Combine that with the contact cement and the sponge effect and you have a part that can rust out very quickly.

The final item in this review is the fasteners. For the dew wipes to function correctly, the proper fasteners must be used. The Fiero Store uses fasteners that are designed to simply loosly clamp the parts together. EVERYTHING on the dew wipe moves. Nothing is solid. DIY_Stu uses the factory style fasteners which are designed to permanently fasten the parts together. THEY DON'T MOVE AT ALL.
Fiero store on top:

One of the more scary things is that the dew wipes came out of the package as you see them. I did not clean them or straighten them. You can clearly see the difference in quality even if I didn't point out which was which. So what is the bottom line here........

DIY_Stu has one of the finest dew wipes available. I know what a "Factory" item should look like and how it should perform and that is how his dew wipes are manufactured. The rivets are properly pressed to the expansion point, the right materials are used to resist moisture, the rubber and felt backing is top notch, and he goes the extra mile to ensure corrosion protection with the ceramic coating on the bare metal parts. It was a very nice "attempt" for the Fiero Store to start making these again, but the photos and tests speak for themselves......buy from DIY_Stu and get the best !! :)
Unsafe At Any Speed

These look really good. Once I get back to work on my Fiero finally (hopefully this winter), I'll probably have to pick up a set if there are any available then.

Nice work! :thumbleft:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: Fiero Dew Wipes

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

txf wrote:Research never stops on looking for the exact materials needed to make the OEM PRODUCED STYLE MADE 20+ years ago.
Actually, you do NOT want this. Find out what AMC Eagles used for dew wipes and use that.

I have an '87 Fiero, an '88 Fiero and a '90 6000. On all three cars the dew wipes are cracked, broken or crumbling.

My dad has two AMC Eagles from the mid-eighties. The dew wipes on both of those cars still look new. Find out what material that is and use it.
txf

Post by txf »

Hmm AMC EAGLES. Have to check on that. But if that's the case they probibly don't make the material any more since there's not any more need in it.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

i bet the material is still around... GM just chose the cheap stuff and AMC chose the expensive stuff.

Ironically, GM is still in business and AMC isn't...
ArthurPeale

Re: Fiero Dew Wipes

Post by ArthurPeale »

This thread is twelve years old, and the website is down, but....are you still making these?