Latest swap: L67/4T65-E into a 88 Formula T-tops - spy pics

This is a place for vendors to showcase their products.
Sinister Fiero

Latest swap: L67/4T65-E into a 88 Formula T-tops - spy pics

Post by Sinister Fiero »

Overview...

-2002 Bonneville Powertrain OBD-2
-3800 Series II Supercharged (L67) -stock-
-4T65-E HD -stock-
-3.0" mandrel bent exhaust; cat & muffler; stock manifolds
-3.0" induction using modified Fiero air induction system
-Poly mounts; 4-corners + dog-bone

Customer supplied 88 Formula with T-tops. He has to comply with emissions so I gave him the option of running the WCF headers so he could run both a cat and a muffler; or run just a cat with resonated tips, or cut out the trunk and run a cat and muffler using the stock manifolds. He opted for the latter because of a concern of loudness with resonated tips and he didn't want the WCF headers.

As described earlier, the engine is bone stock. The customer wanted as low-buck of swap as possible. Even so, I try to make new innovations with every swap I do. The customer wanted poly mounts, so I fabricated some on all 4 corners (which can be done when running an auto). Doing this meant he didn't need to run a dog bone at all, but he still requested it so I built a bracket for that that would work with the OE 3800 tensioner bracket. I also came up with a new low-mount alternator solution which I noted in another thread.

Another first was the use of approved Nylon fuel lines. That's right, the same thing the factory has been using since the early 90's. The line I used was SAE approved which I bought from a local NAPA. Installation is as easy as heating up the end and pressing it onto approved fittings. I must say it worked out nice and looks good -- certainly much better than rubber hose and clamps; safer too... NAPA also recommended stainless crimp-type clamps for this nylon line which I used also.

Everything is fabricated in-house except for the A/C lines. I have a very good local A/C shop that is more than happy to do the job at a reasonable price. I use new wire loom on every part of the wiring harness I custom make to the vehicle; and this isn't the cheap plastic crap you get at Zone that melts the first time you run the engine; this is the "green stripe" stuff GM uses that withstands higher temps.

This is the first time I have done one of these swaps in an 88 chassis. Since I custom built my mounts, I was able to lower the engine/trans as much as possible on the cradle, thus affording as much hood clearance as possible. The trans/oil pans sit AT the bottom plane of the 88 cradle.

Here are some pics:

If you have any questions about what parts were used or how/why I did something, I would be happy to answer them.
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED
Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions | www.gmtuners.com
jstillwell

Post by jstillwell »

Looks solid! :thumbleft:

How did you /are you going to modify the stock 2p8 airbox to allow it to breath better?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I am curious abuot the airbox as well. Did you modify it like you did with the dohc swap you have done?

Also that new dogbone type setup you did looks pretty good. I like the lower tranny mount too right at the axle. looks good and pretty innovative. Sits in there perfect too.

nice work.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
Sinister Fiero

Post by Sinister Fiero »

Thanks for the props guys.

Yes, I did modify the stock 2.8 air box to flow better and used the same way I did for the 3.4 DOHC swap I did a while back:

BEFORE

AFTER:
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

I sent you a PM. Looks great! I hope to be one of your next customers. :)
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair