300,000+ mile 2.8/125-C to low-mile 2.8/440-T4 swap + extras

This is a place for vendors to showcase their products.
Sinister Fiero

300,000+ mile 2.8/125-C to low-mile 2.8/440-T4 swap + extras

Post by Sinister Fiero »

In the coming weeks I will be posting pictures of my latest creation. What's so exciting about it you ask? It's just a stock 2.8 going back in besides the 440-T4, right?

Correct, however, there are going to be many changes. For starters, the stock Fiero engine management is getting swapped out in favor of 92 Camaro 3.1 engine management! EGR is getting deleted (at the request of the owner). And what I think is most exciting, the stock Fiero alternator setup is getting kicked to the curb! Instead, I am fabbing up brackets to use a late model 105amp delphi alternator off of a 3400 + an automatic belt tensioner! No more squeeky belts! No more having to adjust the belt tension! Best thing about this setup is, alternator replacement in-car will be simple!

Look for pics soon!
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED
Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions | www.gmtuners.com
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Can't wait.
Sinister Fiero

Post by Sinister Fiero »

Finished up the new serp belt setup today and, as promised, here are the pics:

Stock length Fiero 2.8 alternator belt. The alternator is a 105 amp unit off of a 3400 that I think came out of a late 90's Grand Am. The tensioner is an OE replacement for an 88-92 Camaro/Firebird V8.

What I did to mount the tensioner was cut some 2" round tube medium wall to the correct length and welded it to the factory Fiero 2.8 engine mount bracket (pre-88). I then welded a plate inside of it that had a nut welded to it so I could run the single 12mm x 1.75 bolt thru the tensioner to bolt it on. The alternator mounts to a 1/2 plate w/ 5/8" spacer to the cylinder head (upper) and mounts to a bar (lower) that is welded to both the Fiero mount bracket and trans support bracket that bolts the transmission's ext housing to the block behind the alternator. With this setup, 3 bolts and wiring and the alternator falls off the engine and should be able to be removed in-car without having to remove any other brackets. The tensioner has a 3/8" square drive port cast into it for releaseing the tension to remove/install the belt.
Last edited by Sinister Fiero on Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Nice clean setup and it looks like a factory job (well, better actually considering the factory would be GM). :thumbleft:
Sinister Fiero

Post by Sinister Fiero »