88GT loosing clutch fluid

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

CincinnatiFiero

88GT loosing clutch fluid

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

My white 88GT 5speed is loosing clutch fluid. I have always be under the impression it is the seal that fails in the master cylinder. How do I be sure it is the master that failed and not the slave or something else. Its not leaking as far as I can see.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: 88GT loosing clutch fluid

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

If it's loosing fluid, it must be leaking. :-P

Two places it could be leaking that you wouldn't see would be into the carpet in the driver's footwell or into the slave cylinder pushrod boot in the engine bay.
CincinnatiFiero

What if its magic fluid will? Jesus, consider all the bases. I know I worded that stupidly, what I meant was the lines are good.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Sorry, man. I should have known better. Of course it could be magic fluid! I often wonder where mine went.

Another possibility is that someone (of course it wouldn't be you, as you know better) filled the clutch system with blinker fluid.
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Your neighbor is secretly draining your clutch fluid at night. Slash his tires.
<Insert Sig Here>
CincinnatiFiero

My neighbor is a dick anyways, doesn't appreciate the graveyard of fieros, may do it regardless. I gotta go buy a battery for this peice today or tomorrow and mess with the clutch. What do you guys think about master cylinder re-build kits? $38 is more appealing than $80-$120.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I tried one of the aftermarket cast MC's and they just suck. Complete waste of time.
lucky

Post by lucky »

My third aftermarket master is leaking into my carpet...... thankfully I've got a buddy who'll "warranty" it out for me.

EDIT:
What's been done for master swaps?
Anyone have any idea if any of the wilwood remote reservoir master will work?
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

I've had the best luck with Raybestos Hydraulic clutch compenents. No complaints or failures from any of my customers I installed those on.

I will admit I did just recently loose the hydraulics in my T-Top when it ran empty of fluid ( Raybestos pieces), but to be fair, those are components I first bought in '95 for my 87 when I changed it to a 5 spd, and they have been in use since then on 2 different Fiero's. Damn near 14 years, I'm happy they went that long trouble free.

Do not waste your time and effort replacing just one piece, if you do guaranteed within 1 year you will have another failure. Replace both as a pair, and ensure you clean the hydraulic line thoroughly, I always spray a full can of brake cleaner through it from both directions.
cactus bastard

Post by cactus bastard »

Fastback86 wrote:Your neighbor is secretly draining your clutch fluid at night. Slash his tires.
Worked for me!
Why would you eat bad ice cream?
CincinnatiFiero

Minor update, I filled it and bled it and have over a 1,000 miles on it and it has not lost pressure, without replacing anything. When I got it was told it wasn't holding clutch fluid so I assumed it was the master or slave, but I dunno? Maybe it was magic fluid.
fierogt28

Post by fierogt28 »

jelly2m81 wrote:I've had the best luck with Raybestos Hydraulic clutch compenents. No complaints or failures from any of my customers I installed those on.

I will admit I did just recently loose the hydraulics in my T-Top when it ran empty of fluid ( Raybestos pieces), but to be fair, those are components I first bought in '95 for my 87 when I changed it to a 5 spd, and they have been in use since then on 2 different Fiero's. Damn near 14 years, I'm happy they went that long trouble free.

Do not waste your time and effort replacing just one peice, if you do guaranteed within 1 year you will have another failure. Replace both as a pair, and ensure you clean the hydraulic line thoroughly, I always spray a full can of brake cleaner through it from both directions.

He's right, listen to jelly2m8...

I replaced the slave on my old 86GT and a matter of 7 months (to be exact) I needed my master cylinder up front replaced. Both components were changed with Raybestos brand parts. 4 years later until I sold the car, it still had those same Raybestos master and slave working good. :)
pontiackid86

Post by pontiackid86 »

I was always told to change the slave and the master cylinder at the same time. Only doing one is like putting on a bandaid when you need stitches.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

pontiackid86 wrote:I was always told to change the slave and the master cylinder at the same time. Only doing one is like putting on a bandaid when you need stitches.
Not necessary.
CincinnatiFiero

Been driving the car daily since March on the old ones, I'm good, thanks.
fierogt28

Post by fierogt28 »

Funny, but I went to my autoparts store today and they told me the Clutch Master Cylinder from Raybestos isn't available anymore...weird.

I had to order one through Dorman. Same warrantee, everthing...

This would be something to confirm with someone else at their parts store / region.