I need help finding a pump shaft seal...

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Jinxmutt

I need help finding a pump shaft seal...

Post by Jinxmutt »

So my Meziere intercooler pump started making some funny noises. I took it apart and found that the pump seal was leaking and that the bearing inside was rusted as fuck.

I called Meziere and they refused to sell me the parts to fix it, saying my only option was to pay shipping both ways to them, and they would rebuild it at their inflated fees.

Well I went on McMaster and started looking around. The bearing that failed had a number on the side, so I looked that up, and found the right bearing I needed. It was a basic .500ID 1.125" OD ball bearing. When it came to the pump seal, I looked around their site and ordered a generic .500" ID 1.125" pump shaft seal. I didn't know if it would be the correct one but I ordered it for the hell of it. Well it showed up, and it is the incorrect style. The one I recieved is a two piece design, like most the others I'm finding on the internet. Does anyone know where I can find this part, or perhaps what type/name it is so I can try to find one?

Here are some pics of the failed parts..

I pulled the seal off the old bearing to look inside...

If you notice, the original bearing is a one-piece design with a metal face on the top. That metal face extends through the center and is 'flared out' at the bottom to hold the assembly together..
Jinxmutt

Re: I need help finding a pump shaft seal...

Post by Jinxmutt »

Just had round 2 with Meziere. The new seal is on the way, it should be here thursday.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Sweet. Let us know if you can get any good source/mfg info on it. Post the P/N's and background info to the hard to find parts thread, if you don't mind.
Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

Is that a carbon/ceramic mechanical seal? It looks not unlike the one on the jet pump on my boat, which makes sense.
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

Yes, just a typical carbon/ceramic mechanical seal. I just couldn't find one that was the correct style.
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

The seal came today. The part number on the bottom of the seal is 235816. I'm going to search around and see what i can find.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Blue Shift wrote:Is that a carbon/ceramic mechanical seal? It looks not unlike the one on the jet pump on my boat, which makes sense.
I thought it looked familiar
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

u still looking for a seal? Seals-it does automotive stuff.