POS Thermostat Housing

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Cheeze

POS Thermostat Housing

Post by Cheeze »

It looks like the flimsy stamped steel piece of junk bent at the flange somehow. New gasket was dripping after I swapped in a newer duke so I decided to try again, this one blew out completely. Same spot, middle of the gasket farthest from the bolt holes. Anyone try to flatten these things out or should I find a new one? Any options on other tstat housings to use? And do you guys use a sealant? I used a thin layer of Permatex #2 on one of em and it didn't like that either.
pontiackid86

Re: POS Thermostat Housing

Post by pontiackid86 »

I would just get a new one. Putting a used one on there is like putting a bandaid on when you need stitches.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

I've got one if you need to buy one, it needs cleaned up its a bit rusty, but the seal appeared to be good. I'd buy a new gasket and be liberal with coolant resistant permatex.
Cheeze

Post by Cheeze »

Yeah thanks. I went to the yard and found a non-POS one. Someone else must have realized how crappy the stamped ones are because I found one with a flange made of 3/16" plate. Looks factory too. I realize the post was kind of trivial asking about a stupid topic for a motor nobody cares about. But I would have a hard time asking on OE just imagining the responses I would get. Anyways if someone still uses the duke and has the same problem, look for this one. I used a new gasket and plenty of that #2 permatex you mentioned, no probs now.

CincinnatiFiero

What car did that come off of? Looks a lot better, probably something to throw out there for the duke guys
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:probably something to throw out there for the duke guys
I wasn't aware there were any of those guys left. Life's a bitch.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
CincinnatiFiero

I have one, don't drive it, but I have one. I work on other peoples, so if they ever have this issue I wouldn't mind knowing where he got the part.
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

I seen alot of the steel flange ones through the years, GM must have updated the part at some point.
Cheeze

Post by Cheeze »

It was off another Fiero. I didn't look at the VIN for the year. I'll check next time I go back there.