Finally getting some work done on my engine!

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Starlite528

Finally getting some work done on my engine!

Post by Starlite528 »

Got new injectors, new vacuum lines, the flexible EGR tube, and rubber/neoprene gaskets for the rocker arm covers that have leaked since I used the cheezy cork gaskets the engine kit came with.

Question is, should I use gasket goo/silicone on them? they seem like they might be thick enough to get away without it.
<update> meh, I went ahead and used silicone. better to have and not need.
Last edited by Starlite528 on Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Despite millions of dollars in research, Death continues to be our nations number one killer.
Henry Gibson - Kentucky Fried Movie.

http://www.lordshadowstar.com
Shaun41178(2)

Re: Finally getting some work done on my engine!

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

no goo required. Put them on and they will seal just fine.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

UGH! And now my engine doesn't run.

I don't know what the deal is, but I drained the battery out trying to start it.

They're the 15lb injectors from the fiero store website.

Despite millions of dollars in research, Death continues to be our nations number one killer.

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Fuel, Air and Spark... if you don't have one, it won't work.

If you have all three, then check your timing.
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Fuel, Air and Spark... if you don't have one, it won't work.

If you have all three, then check your timing.
Would I need to change my timing for new injectors? It was working fine before!

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Did you take the dizzy out? Get it back in in the right orientation? Plug wires in the right order? Module & pickup coil connected inside? Dizzy external electrical connectors connected? Coil electrical connectors connected? Does your tach move while you crank?

Injector sub-harness connector connected? Have you tested injector circuits with test light or noid while cranking (to confirm ECM is firing injectors?) Have you checked fuel pressure? Does your fuel pump prime? Is your fuel pump relay connected and operating? Have you ohmed your injectors with a multi-meter to be sure they are electrically sound?

Have you checked spark?

Have you recharged your battery?
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

Did you take the dizzy out? Get it back in in the right orientation? Plug wires in the right order? Module & pickup coil connected inside? Dizzy external electrical connectors connected? Coil electrical connectors connected? Does your tach move while you crank?
I didn't touch the dist. at all except to pull the plugs, and unless I'm insane, they should be in the right order. As I remember, I reconnected everything I unplugged. It was a long day yesterday. I forgot to watch the tach.

Injector sub-harness connector connected? Yes

Have you tested injector circuits with test light or noid while cranking (to confirm ECM is firing injectors?) No, never heard of that

Have you checked fuel pressure? The fuel pump was replaced when I was in Afghanistan. before I changed the injectors, it took a good 30 seconds to start the engine in the morning. I noticed there was no pressure yesterday when I popped the schrader valve.

Does your fuel pump prime? Is your fuel pump relay connected and operating? The fuel pump runs for 1 or 2 seconds after I put the ignition in run. I ran it a few times while popping the valve to bleed as much air out of the fuel rail as I could.

Have you ohmed your injectors with a multi-meter to be sure they are electrically sound? No, never heard of this.

Have you checked spark? No

Have you recharged your battery? I don't have the means, :(

Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

Okay it's running now. Had the wires plugged in to the distributor wrong. That and there was a little vacuum leak at the MAP sensor messing everything up real good.

Everything is back to normal, except for the smell of burning rubber coming from somewhere in the engine. I have no idea. :unknown:

CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

FWIW,

The cork gaskets in the felpro kit are not intended for use on a fiero. If you read the box it will say '2 x Valve Cover Gasket excl. Fiero' they are for all other cars that took the 2.8/3.1. They will leak like a sieve because they aren't anywhere near the right shape.
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:FWIW,

The cork gaskets in the felpro kit are not intended for use on a fiero. If you read the box it will say '2 x Valve Cover Gasket excl. Fiero' they are for all other cars that took the 2.8/3.1. They will leak like a sieve because they aren't anywhere near the right shape.
LOL well I found that out the hard way. Oops. :unknown:

Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

Looks like I also took care of the EGR code the system was always throwing until I reversed the lines coming out of the EGR control solenoid. I think the little elbow piece might have been cracked.