Looks like I get to replace the starter now! :(

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Starlite528

Re: Looks like I get to replace the starter now! :(

Post by Starlite528 »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:when I put in my 255 I prob had the car about 1- 2 feet in the air. Just high enough for me to crawl under, and enough room to slide the tank out when I dropped it down. The tank isn't that heavy when its empty or nearly empty.
I'll need another pair of jackstands and some cement blocks. Raise one end, place on stands. raise other end, place on stands. install block under jack, raise more, raise stands, repeat on other end. hehe.

This is going to have to wait until next week though, it's raining and it's cold all this week, supposedly.
Despite millions of dollars in research, Death continues to be our nations number one killer.
Henry Gibson - Kentucky Fried Movie.

http://www.lordshadowstar.com
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Starlite528 wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote:I don't see how that can possibly be genuine at that price.
No? Seems like a pretty average price for that pump on different sites. economy of scale?
Or the Chinese copycats are flooding the market. Bosch is not a cheap brand, but you get what you pay for. I haven't seen a genuine Walbro for less than $100 and the Bosch 044 external pump is around $250 last I checked.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Starlite528 wrote:
Shaun41178(2) wrote:when I put in my 255 I prob had the car about 1- 2 feet in the air. Just high enough for me to crawl under, and enough room to slide the tank out when I dropped it down. The tank isn't that heavy when its empty or nearly empty.
I'll need another pair of jackstands and some cement blocks. Raise one end, place on stands. raise other end, place on stands. install block under jack, raise more, raise stands, repeat on other end. hehe.

This is going to have to wait until next week though, it's raining and it's cold all this week, supposedly.

Getting the tank out should be *that* difficult... the hard part is getting all the connections (especially the filler hose) loose before you drop it.

There's a wire to the fuel pump circuit in the ALDL connector. If you jumper that with 12V, you can turn the pump on manually. With a little creative plumbing, you can pump the tank down like that.

However, *BEFORE* you do that, I would suggest you run it continuously with the engine off to get a fuel pressure reading. If it's still 20 psi dead headed with the engine off, then it's definitely tired. Weird way for a fuel pump to fail, though. Usually they just refuse to start.

If the pump's running and you're not getting fuel pressure, it might be a plumbing problem inside the tank, too. Look at things carefully and be prepared for that.
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

Well I hope it's genuine. I'll order one next week and see what happens, or maybe I'll email Bosch and see what they say. I have no idea what brand of fuel pump was installed in my car last year, but this problem has been since day one that it was installed, so mom says.

I was using the ALDL connector for while before I installed the new starter to run the pump for a while before starting the engine.
Despite millions of dollars in research, Death continues to be our nations number one killer.

Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

You only need the bottom of the car to be maybe two feet off the ground if that, the tank isn't that tall. Drop it down, drag it out. The real bitch is getting all the rubber hoses disconnected from the tank, as they've all likely glued themselves on by now. There's not a lot of room to work and most of the connections are on the top of the tank where they're hard to reach, naturally.
<Insert Sig Here>
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

you don't need to jack up the front of the car, just the rear. I just jacked up the rear like a foot or so enough to slide under and to undo the tank straps and hoses. The tank isn't tall, so if you can get under, you should be able to get the tank out
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:you don't need to jack up the front of the car, just the rear. I just jacked up the rear like a foot or so enough to slide under and to undo the tank straps and hoses. The tank isn't tall, so if you can get under, you should be able to get the tank out
I got a pair of ramps when I got the starter. So glad I did too, it made my life a lot easier when changing that thing out, which was actually really easy to do (no big surprise there.)

I've been wanting to take my tank out for a long time anyways; I really want to know what kind of clearance there is between the tank and the underside of the car between the seats and footwells. If I could fit a mini subwoofer in there, that would be fantastic!

Not happening this week though, with the driveway and streets covered in hardened slush/ice!
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

OK I got my new Bosch fuel pump installed since it came in last night! MY CAR RUNS 1000% BETTER NOW!! :D

The mechanic that installed the fuel pump in my car neglected to use hose clamps on the hose between the pump and the line. It was really loose, probably circulating fuel in the tank. New pump is a lot quieter too.

Check it out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRfiEvcg2ng

Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

nice job mang
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

I like how you use the pop rivet gun!

Did you use submersible fuel hose, the special coated line that doesn't deteriorate?
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

Emc209i wrote:I like how you use the pop rivet gun!

Did you use submersible fuel hose, the special coated line that doesn't deteriorate?
Hehe, it's useful!

I chunked the bit of hose that whoever shop used on that old pump and used the bit of hose that came with the Bosch pump. it came with a couple of nice clamps too!
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

That's good. It's interesting to see the video from the driver side glass accident, I remember when you were asking about replacing the door. Also, your time lapse video's are the shit! I left a comment.
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

Emc209i wrote:That's good. It's interesting to see the video from the driver side glass accident, I remember when you were asking about replacing the door. Also, your time lapse video's are the shit! I left a comment.
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoy those videos :D

I got a new window installed. Still looking for a mirror housing though. I have a grey color skin on the door while I repair the red one which is coming along pretty nice. I took the opportunity to install new door/window felts/seals. I can drive without getting rained on now, hehe!