Exhaust smell in passenger compartment

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

missykk

Exhaust smell in passenger compartment

Post by missykk »

Hi there,

I am new to this site and I hope you will forgive my naivete but I have a question that I hope someone can answer.

I have a 87 GT 5-speed and when I drive it (esp. if the windows are cracked open) I get a strong smell of exhaust into the passenger compartment.

The car runs great but it does sound like it has a hole in the muffler when you are hitting the gas.

I have read about the manifold problems that Fieros are notorious for and was wondering if this is one of the side effects that occur if your car has this issue?

Also, if I continue to drive it and it is a manifold problem, will I be doing some damage to the vehicle?

Again, I apologize if I sound dumb or ill-informed. I wanted to ask my question to people who really know everything there is to know about this car and figured that is a great place to start.

Thank you
Emc209i

Re: Exhaust smell in passenger compartment

Post by Emc209i »

If the manifold cracks, you will be able to both hear and smell the exhaust. Your reasoning is sound, that may very well be the cause. It may be a leak somewhere else though. The only way to find out is to look for the leak.

Nah, there's really no way to hurt the engine, just an annoyance.

Welcome.
missykk

Post by missykk »

Whew! Boy, did you make me feel a lot better. I have been driving this car to work every day and was thinking that I was doing major damage to the engine.

I guess I will have it checked out.

Thank you so much for making me feel better.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Could also be a cracked EGR pipe. Pretty common on 2.8 Fieros.

I'd get it fixed before you put yourself to sleep on the highway lol.
missykk

Post by missykk »

I was actually a little worried about nodding off while sitting in traffic. Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

If you keep the fan on high and don't use recirculate mode (max AC), it will help keep positive pressure in the cabin and might keep the fumes out for now. I suggest getting it fixed ASAP though as exhaust fumes are a serious health hazard.
missykk

Post by missykk »

Good advice. I am actually driving home from work (about 30 miles) so I will try this today. I think a trip to the mechanic is on my to do list for the weekend.

Thank you.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Good luck fixing it though, doing anything related to the exhaust manifolds on the 2.8 is a real pain.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.