Aluminum brake master cylinder

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Aluminum brake master cylinder

Post by Series8217 »

Where can I get an aluminum brake master cylinders for the '88 Fiero? I bought an AC Delco 18M397 from Amazon.com and it was cast iron. On Rockauto's catalog, the Raybestos MC39713 is listed as being aluminum, but the picture is identical to the iron AC Delco unit, and the weight is listed as the same as what I weighed the AC Delco unit to be (6 lbs), so I'm certain it's iron too.
CincinnatiFiero

Re: Aluminum brake master cylinder

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Dorman claims to have a rebuild kit. Could you rebuild your current one?
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

If I read into his post right he's looking to switch to aluminum for weight, in which case rebuilding won't accomplish his goal.

Are you using the larger S10 master? Maybe you ought to look into one of those, people are always saying what a huge improvement it is to braking (Although being larger it probably weighs more).
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

The way I read was they used to supply them in aluminum and/or they were originally aluminum which is why he bought the one on Amazon.

I haven't popped the hood on my 88 so I don't know what OEM is.
fieroguru

Post by fieroguru »

OEM is aluminum.

Autozone lists a Fenco M2357 and specifies it as being aluminum with a weight of 3.1 lbs.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Aaron wrote:If I read into his post right he's looking to switch to aluminum for weight, in which case rebuilding won't accomplish his goal.

Are you using the larger S10 master? Maybe you ought to look into one of those, people are always saying what a huge improvement it is to braking (Although being larger it probably weighs more).
OEM is aluminum, mine is OEM, and I stupidly threw away my spare one a few months back while cleaning out my parents' garage, not knowing that the aftermarket ones are iron..

I don't want an S10 master, that will not improve braking, it's just a larger bore size so it'll decrease mechanical advantage and make braking worse.
fieroguru wrote:OEM is aluminum.

Autozone lists a Fenco M2357 and specifies it as being aluminum with a weight of 3.1 lbs.
Looks like a rebuilt factory unit. Very cheap too! Thanks for the info. I ended up ordering a Cardone rebuilt unit, hoping it will be aluminum. If not, I'll try the Fenco one. They're probably the same thing though; the Fenco alternate part number is the Cardone part (10-2357).
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I think The Mule has the Corvette or S10 MC, but also has calipers with larger pistons than stock.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:I think The Mule has the Corvette or S10 MC, but also has calipers with larger pistons than stock.
Which is a good reason to have it. The S10 booster is a huge improvement on pre-88 cars. I think a lot of people confuse the two.

There's nothing worse than opening a trunk or decklid to see a rusting cast iron part, aluminum is so much better looking.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Yeah.

I really like the car's current setup. The pedal is high and firm, while the extra torque the 11.25 rotors provide drops pedal effort back into the stock booster's linear range.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Series8217 wrote:I ended up ordering a Cardone rebuilt unit, hoping it will be aluminum. If not, I'll try the Fenco one. They're probably the same thing though; the Fenco alternate part number is the Cardone part (10-2357).
The Cardone unit I received is aluminum.