Big Bored Throttle Body & a Posi Unit for a 5 speed Getrag

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

SoCalPoorBoy

Big Bored Throttle Body & a Posi Unit for a 5 speed Getrag

Post by SoCalPoorBoy »

L@@KING 4 two things...
A BIG BORED Throttle Body for my Purpose Built 3.4L Motor.
Also does anyone Know who Maked a Posi Unit for a Getrag 5 Speed??? I Keep Burning the Left Tire Off. OMG 275hp dosen't Hold well with No Posi... Ron at MinnBedBug@yahoo.com Thanks. I Hope to see someone at the Car Craft Summer Nationals 7/18-19/2014... 507-721-2415 8) 8) :crazy:
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Re: Big Bored Throttle Body & a Posi Unit for a 5 speed Getr

Post by Aaron »

In my experience, I'd steer clear from a bored throttle body. Simply too expensive, when a Northstar 75mm one can be had for $20. Just make an adapter and you're done.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Purpose built 3.4. Staying with the stock Fiero 3 part intake? What size Tb you looking to buy? Any thought of doing an individual throttle body intake? Would you be against that?

Posi units aren't in fwd transmissions. They are called limited slip diffs. If you find a torsen lsd expect to spend $1k or more for it. They are rare.

If your tire is spinning with that little power than you need better tires
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I had 280whp (315ish flywheel) with my N* fiero and it wouldn't spin the tires in 1st gear unless I dumped the clutch. I agree, you need better tires. Run something like an RE-11 in something a little wider like a 255 and you'll hook all day long. I was running harder FK-451s in 245 and never spun the tires just flooring it from a roll. Cut a 1.8 60' at the track as well.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

We'd really like to hear more details of your engine build! Iron head? Aluminum head?
I agree with Aaron... there are plenty of big throttles around which can be adapted more economically than boring the stock throttle.

While there are devices like a Gr8Grip and Engineered Performance LSD (EP LSD)... those are not true LSD's or posi's... they just add friction into the diff and *may* help avoid a one-wheel-wonder burnout like you've been having.

EDIT: If you want to switch transmissions to the F23, there's a Quaife available for that box.

I concur with the above about your tires. I have a Northstar with 312 RWHP and 245/50-16 tires. I only have traction problems below about 50 degree ambient temps.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Don't worry about the diff, just install some wide, sticky tires. See this thread for aggressive fitment: http://realfierotech.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... =3&t=17389