Northstar 88GT 5-speed BUILD THREAD

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Re: Northstar 88GT 5-speed BUILD THREAD

Post by Aaron »

I finally got an update. I had a free weekend to work on the headers some more. We also picked up a set of the higher output cams, so that'll make this a 300hp variant, not 275 like we had originally. Plus, the header lengths are tuned for a 300hp N*. So far I've got the tubes for cylinders 2 and 8 done, I'm hoping to get tubes 3 and 5 finished tonight and tomorrow. This set hangs about 1/2" below the oil pan, and sits even with the bottom of the cradle, so there won't be any ground clearance issues. In the second to last pic, you see some weird looking pieces of metal shoved in between the flanges, that's to simulate gasket thickness, so they won't stay there hehe.

88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

Very pretty :good:
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I finished the back side of the first header this morning, it actually went pretty smoothly. Still equal length too. The flanges all line up good enough, and the headers clear everything (I think). I'll start the second header next week. Since it will collect over the transmission, the pipes will be harder to fit, but easier to design and build I'm hoping. I've used just under half of my pipe too, so I'm right on track there. I'm really scared of the exhaust, I have absolutely no clue how I'm going to do it.

88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Nice woek man. I'm very interested to see how it sounds. Only thing I can think of that would compliment it is a set of chrfab cams with their springs as well. Raise that redline to 7000 or so, would sound wicked.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

Looking good, man. Hopefully I'll be able to check out this and your car sometime. I was exhausted after Pueblo last month and pretty much went straight home.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

We thought about that, but decided not to. Here's my reasoning.

He chose the N* over a number of other engines, including the 3800 SC, an LSX, turbo Ecotec, or a wicked 3.4 build. The 3800 is out, I won't allow one of those shitpiles on my property. The LSX is a better engine, but the swap is much more difficult, and the motor costs a whole lot more. The Ecotec is a 4 cylinder, so it sounds gay. And the 3.4 is a great choice, but it does lack some civility once it's pushed as far as mine is. The N* is a Cadillac engine, which means it should be exceptionally smooth and civil, yet still put down good numbers. Well once you start camming it to high heaven, it's going to lose some of that civility, which is a big draw back. So for now we're going to leave it pretty much stock, but if he ever gets tired of getting his ass raped by a 3.4 V6, then we're going to put a 2.4l Whipple on top of it.

Just let me know when, I'm off weekends, and the garage is in the Springs.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
mcaanda

Post by mcaanda »

More info on the 2.4L, is this something that is offered by CharFab?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

No, at least not that I know of. It's a generic Whipple Supercharger that can be ordered with an Axial inlet (Backside of the blower). I'd then build a custom intake manifold for it, and probably include an A/W intercooler core in the manifold. Just something I'd like to do, if someone else pays for it :good:
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I don't remember my Northstar being very civil lol... It sounded pretty badass at full song and was pretty quick. With a short open exahsut system and good torque it's a fun motor. If your friend wants civil, I don't suggest a Northstar.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Depends on your definition of "civil". The Northstar is a smooth engine that should purr like a kitten at idle and have enough torque to accelerate from 1000 RPM in 5th gear. I had a GTP guy in the passenger seat once, dropped the car in 2nd and hung out at 4000 RPM for a few seconds waiting for an opening to pass. He was impressed with how much smoother my engine was than his cammed 3800.

If "quiet" is in your definition of "civil" and your engine swapped car isn't quiet... that's not the engine's fault. :p
fieroguru

Post by fieroguru »

Looking good!

Makes me want to get back to mine...
fierogt28

Post by fierogt28 »

Aaron, that looks pretty good. Not to many people can weld and fab up "home-made" headers... :-D

I also like the black powdercoat job on the cradle...makes it look better that what came new from GM.

Good work... :good:
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Thanks guys. My friend polished up the valve covers, they look out fucking standing too. They should contrast good with the black intake. Just need to clean it up under the cover a bit more.

I unfortunately won't get anymore done this week, going to be busy trying to get a girlfriend. But the week after I'm hoping to do the last set. Then they get ceramic coated in and out.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

what size tubing are you using for the primaries?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

1 5/8"
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I was wondering, because a N* isn't so different from the Cobra's engine, and those guys generally go 1.75" because they want high-rpm power rather than midrange torque. But considering the huge cams offered for their engines,...
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Size your primaries for the power you expect to make, NOT what everyone else is doing.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Doesn't the cobra use a 4.0L that will rev higher anyways? And that motor shares some with the AuroraV8 IRL motor.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Mustang Cobra
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Then why are we reverse engineering Ford to GM? I figured we'd be at least in the same ball park. I don't know if similar displacement and # of cams makes it the same.