Picked up another ITB intake

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Shaun41178(2)

Picked up another ITB intake

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I picked up this little gem. Falconer ITB intake for the iron heads. I already have the parts on my build sheet that I will be using. This will make more hp than 99% of all v8 fieros on pedoland. This will also make more power than Oreif's piddly v8(309 whp LOL), and I am going to do it without using boost. Thats right, this will not have a turbo on it.

High compression, racegas, big cam will get me there. Each TB blade is about 51mm.
WP_000604 (Medium).jpg
WP_000604 (Medium).jpg (66.28 KiB) Viewed 13941 times
WP_000605 (Medium).jpg
WP_000605 (Medium).jpg (70 KiB) Viewed 13941 times
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
Shaun41178(2)

Re: Picked up another ITB intake

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Here are some comparo pics of the iron head itb butterfly vs the aluminum head itb butterfly. The iron head one is a little bigger. Without measuring it appears to be around a mm or so.
WP_000608 (Medium).jpg
WP_000608 (Medium).jpg (43.27 KiB) Viewed 13929 times
WP_000613 (Medium).jpg
WP_000613 (Medium).jpg (67.2 KiB) Viewed 13929 times
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Want some Falconer heads? ;)

What are your plans for the shortblock? 94mm? 99mm? DIS?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

the heads are going to need a ton of work to make awesome power levels N/a, you buy that from the guy selling them on 60V6? I thought about picking one up to play with, but I already have too many projects...

Edit:

if you use a roller cam block, you can get a insane cam now for them, WOT Tech has Billet blanks now.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

ericjon262 wrote:the heads are going to need a ton of work to make awesome power levels N/a, you buy that from the guy selling them on 60V6? I thought about picking one up to play with, but I already have too many projects...

Edit:

if you use a roller cam block, you can get a insane cam now for them, WOT Tech has Billet blanks now.
If you're talking about the guy with a big pallet of Falconer heads, that's me.

Ditto on the roller cam. Solid roller = only way to go.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
ericjon262 wrote:the heads are going to need a ton of work to make awesome power levels N/a, you buy that from the guy selling them on 60V6? I thought about picking one up to play with, but I already have too many projects...

Edit:

If you're talking about the guy with a big pallet of Falconer heads, that's me.

Ditto on the roller cam. Solid roller = only way to go.

nah, I was talking about stalkerV6

http://60degreev6.com/forum/showthread. ... t=falconer

the problem running a roller cam with the iron heads is that most of the good cams have way more lift then the heads can use... you need a cam with a really aggressive ramp profile to get that sucker open quick and hold it there for a long time...
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Use of a "Lift Rule" cam in the 4.9 has been briefly discussed on Pfiffle. Such a grind could be engineered for the V6/60 also.

Talk to camking, SchmidtMotorWorks or similar high end cam grinders at www.speedtalk.com
A lift rule cam is going to be fairly intensive from the design aspect to get the desired profile shape while making sure that acceleration, jerk and higher-order derivatives of the lift curve are smooth, in order to minimize excitation of valvetrain harmonics.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

ericjon262 wrote: nah, I was talking about stalkerV6

http://60degreev6.com/forum/showthread. ... t=falconer
Interesting... well I still have at least a dozen pair of Falconer heads sitting in storage. Obviously I'm not too concerned about unloading them, and I've already more than made my money back on the original lot purchase.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Plans for the engine

3400 roller cam block.
93.5mm bore
3.4 dohc pistons
I have a Schneider roller solid lifter cam with around .600 lift
Cloyes Double roller.
Distributor still.
Crane full roller rockers
30lb injectors.
Full headers, and aluminum exhaust.
Modified factory ecm.

Most of these parts I have lying around already, so its mostly just a matter of getting it to a machine shop.

I figure it will do pretty well, and still be streetable. Compression won't be too high. Probably around 9.8:1 or so. Race gas is easy to get around here at the pump but can probably get away with Torco additive as the compression isn't outrageous. The 12.5:1 gm pistons aren't available in the 93.5 bore. Things subject to change of course on the small things.

This won't be done for at least a couple of years as I still have my aluminum head 3500 in one piece.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I understand the attraction of having all the parts on hand and throwing it together...

But the 99mm bore will get somewhat more flow out of the heads, and can still use cheap LS1 pistons.
The larger displacement will help keep the RPM range more streetable. Go for a VVT 3500 or a 3900 block. Those can still be had cheap. www.car-parts.com

You going to start building crate engines?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Does anyone in the V6/60 community do CNC porting?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Does anyone in the V6/60 community do CNC porting?
not that I have seen.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Interesting.

I acquired a Bridgeport with a nice 3 axis CNC conversion shortly after I got back from Iraq. It's been in storage for a couple of years. The guy keeping it for me has been asking me when I'll do something with it, so that probably should be soon.

Fortunately, my garage is almost ready to start turning into a serious workshop.

The motor controllers for the Bridgeport are probably hopelessly ancient and may need to be updated.
If I can find an NC dividing head or a manual dividing head that can be converted, I could use it to mount cylinder heads and do 4 axis CNC port work.

Of course, having the machinery is only half the battle... I need the CAD/CAM resources to develop a *PARAMETRIC* model of each port which can be tweaked and adjusted easily to try new shapes.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Interesting.

I acquired a Bridgeport with a nice 3 axis CNC conversion shortly after I got back from Iraq. It's been in storage for a couple of years. The guy keeping it for me has been asking me when I'll do something with it, so that probably should be soon.

Fortunately, my garage is almost ready to start turning into a serious workshop.

The motor controllers for the Bridgeport are probably hopelessly ancient and may need to be updated.
If I can find an NC dividing head or a manual dividing head that can be converted, I could use it to mount cylinder heads and do 4 axis CNC port work.

Of course, having the machinery is only half the battle... I need the CAD/CAM resources to develop a *PARAMETRIC* model of each port which can be tweaked and adjusted easily to try new shapes.
if you are serious, I have a set of 3500 heads I might be willing to donate to the cause. I also have a set of 2.8 heads, those you can have for sure, just pay shipping!
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:I understand the attraction of having all the parts on hand and throwing it together...

But the 99mm bore will get somewhat more flow out of the heads, and can still use cheap LS1 pistons.
The larger displacement will help keep the RPM range more streetable. Go for a VVT 3500 or a 3900 block. Those can still be had cheap. http://www.car-parts.com

You going to start building crate engines?
Thats what I used to find my 3400. Didn't bother looking for a larger bore motor, mainly because I didn't want to use custom pistons. I wanted to find off the shelf parts, to keep costs down.

I don't ever plan to build crate engines. Knowing fiero owners, it will be too much money for one, and second, you know fiero owners refuse to tune their cars, and when the motor blows up, it of course won't be their fault. It would prob be in line with a used 3800 SC motor, so people will find it better just to use that anyways. A shortblock would prob be in the 1200-1500 dollar range for a rebuilt 3400 for iron heads. We all know what DH would say about that which is understandable
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Does anyone in the V6/60 community do CNC porting?
I remember seeing a ebay ad years ago for the iron heads as cnc ported by some company. the heads were painted purple or something even if memory serves right. They were expensive so I didn't look into it much, but their pics didn't show good shots of the port job so hard to say just how well they were done if at all.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Shaun41178(2) wrote:Thats what I used to find my 3400. Didn't bother looking for a larger bore motor, mainly because I didn't want to use custom pistons. I wanted to find off the shelf parts, to keep costs down.

I don't ever plan to build crate engines. Knowing fiero owners, it will be too much money for one, and second, you know fiero owners refuse to tune their cars, and when the motor blows up, it of course won't be their fault. It would prob be in line with a used 3800 SC motor, so people will find it better just to use that anyways. A shortblock would prob be in the 1200-1500 dollar range for a rebuilt 3400 for iron heads. We all know what DH would say about that which is understandable
I was pretty sure that the big bore 3500 and the 3900 could use LS1 pistons... Need to verify pin size and compression height before placing an order, of course, but the basic bore is the same.

Obviously building crate engines for the Fiero community is a money loser, but the V6/60 community is bigger than Fieros.

How much power would a built/blueprinted/optimized 12:1 3900 with fully ported heads throw down? 350+?
That would have a good GM FWD market, as well as maybe some of the V8 S10 market?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

just found this for cnc ported heads

http://ncfiero.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=39

If you did a high compression 3900, with a big cam, and such, I bet you could see 350 at the crank.

Yes the v6 is bigger than just the fiero world, but the clientele is pretty much the same.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Can't really tell much about the port from that little bitty photo, but they didn't proof read their website, as they claim dynamic compression higher than static. Also, even if those two numbers were reversed, that doesn't sound like a good static/dynamic pair. LS1's can barely run 8.8 dynamic under aluminum heads on pump gas. There's no way the V6 can run 9.7+ under iron heads on pump gas.

I'd be amazed if those heads were actually CNC ported.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I emailed about it.