progress on the banshee...

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

ericjon262

Re: progress on the banshee...

Post by ericjon262 »

you can't tell me what to do! you're not my real dad!
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

in other news, the cooling system lost 9.5 psi over 9 hours and 37 minutes. still got a leak somewhere to hunt down...
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Time for leak check dye.

I agree with The Shizzaun (WTF? Did I just type that?) about the rockers... that should be *WAY* down your priority list right now.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Should be coolant on the ground or in the oil if there is a gasket problem causing pressure loss

I am betting you still haven't checked compression.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

compression test was fine. the rockers are pretty low on the list, hence the stock rockers already back on the car(they were only off to check torque on the head studs). I've only been working on that when I can't work on the car directly.

I jacked the car up, and was working on re routing the charge cable to the alternator when I noticed a drip from the front right side of the engine. the bummer is that I can't see or feel anything on it... otherwise, the coil pack is re mounted, plug wires re-run. just need to lengthen the wires to the voltage regulator, and coil pack and that party will be over.

Will, what kind of dye do you recommend for the dye test? I've seen the UV dye for a/c work, does that stuff work in cooling systems too?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

well... that was interesting... filled the cooling system, started the car, and now it appears as though it won't heat up. I didn't drive it, just idled and free rev'd(just started raining) but after several minutes of running, the temp gauge was still reading quite low. it worked before all this nonsense, so I don't suspect it to be broken... in other news, the low mount alternator works fine, didn't shred a belt or make funny noises, or do anything exciting, it just worked... which is pretty exciting for me!
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Nice. Your gauge might have quit. You can double check temp sensor by ohming out the sensor and comparing that to the service guide
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:Nice. Your gauge might have quit. You can double check temp sensor by ohming out the sensor and comparing that to the service guide

planning on that and comparing indicted temp to logged temp, see if there is a discrepancy.

took it for a drive... damn... spun in first, hit second, spun, hit third, spun, and started going towards trees so I got out of it... this thing is going to get me in trouble...
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

engine bay with the new low mount alternator setup. much better IMO

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

I doubt the gauge or sender is bad, just too coincidental with all the other issues you've been having with the system.

How much power is it putting down. I am (Should be?) putting down much more and don't have any traction issues. In fact my car normally hooks in 1st gear unless it's a hard launch. But just a roll on and it'll generally hold.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

ericjon262 wrote:
Will, what kind of dye do you recommend for the dye test? I've seen the UV dye for a/c work, does that stuff work in cooling systems too?
CarQuest has a dye product that's universal. I snagged a party-style black light from WalMart for like $3.
I'm not sure if the dye for A/C systems is chemically compatible with coolant, but I play it safe by finding a product that says "cooling systems" on the bottle.
ericjon262 wrote:well... that was interesting... filled the cooling system, started the car, and now it appears as though it won't heat up. I didn't drive it, just idled and free rev'd(just started raining) but after several minutes of running, the temp gauge was still reading quite low. it worked before all this nonsense, so I don't suspect it to be broken... in other news, the low mount alternator works fine, didn't shred a belt or make funny noises, or do anything exciting, it just worked... which is pretty exciting for me!
Grabbing a radiator hose is the time-honored solution! It lets you feel how hot the system is *AND* how much pressure is in the cooling system. Do a calibration grab on a cold system at ambient pressure first.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I'm not too familiar with your build, but I would imagine, based on dynos I've seen of 3.4 TDC engines, we're probably not too far off from each other, and your drivetrain is much heavier. but, either way, you probably have way better tires on your car. I'm really looking forward to start driving this on a regular basis. unfortunately, my DHP Powrtuner has once again started acting up, it's not wanting to connect with my laptop at all... I'm getting real tempted to grab the obd1 computer I have sitting on the shelf and say fuck this obd2 nonsense.

as for the dye, I'll have to see if there is a carquest near by and pick some up.

a short video for the haters and non-believers. beware, it's real low quality...

https://youtu.be/poXUW6gbIe0

Edit: and turns out the temp gauge just quit... FML. but it's not overheating per the laptop...
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Have you corrected the bulb test wiring flaw in your temp gauge circuit? That's the usual temp gauge killer in a Fiero.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Have you corrected the bulb test wiring flaw in your temp gauge circuit? That's the usual temp gauge killer in a Fiero.
if I did, I don't remember... if I didn't, well, that would be a possibility, any way to tell without taking shit apart?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

As delivered by GM, turning the ignition key to the bulb test position, will cause the temp gauge to peg violently while the temp light will not illuminate.

When corrected, turning the key to the bulb test position will not affect the temp gauge and the temp light will illuminate.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:As delivered by GM, turning the ignition key to the bulb test position, will cause the temp gauge to peg violently while the temp light will not illuminate.

When corrected, turning the key to the bulb test position will not affect the temp gauge and the temp light will illuminate.

I don't think mine has been done, based on the light not illuminating, but I don't remember any temp gauge movement key on engine off... I'll have to take a look at it.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Looks like she pulls hard, nice build man :good:
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Sounds good. Can def hear the whistle.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

crzyone wrote:Looks like she pulls hard, nice build man :good:
thanks, working on making it nicer every day, next step is wheels, tires, brakes, and suspension. for now, it's going to get an 88 cradle, and the supporting mods. the brakes will be 88 calipers all the way around, with 12" rotors using slumpy123's(from the other forum) brackets
Shaun41178(2) wrote:Sounds good. Can def hear the whistle.
thanks, the turbo is definitely doing it's job. I really need to get a tune, and a much better camera now.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

car ran good the other day, needs lots of tuning done, esp for idle recovery. it didn't overheat over the coarse of about 6-7 miles I drove it, which is good, but towards the end of the drive. temperatures started to go up, nothing crazy, but it went from about 82-84 c to about 90-92 c when I turned it off. could be something, could be nothing. gonna pick up some dye and see if I can find any more leaks...