progress on the banshee...

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: progress on the banshee...

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Most people pay a college thousands of dollars and don't learn as much about engineering for maintainability...
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

The turbo is on the top of the engine bay near the driver strut tower.

You gotta explain how the cradle has to be lowered to pull the turbo out.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I might not have to drop the whole thing, just the rear. The turbo is so tight against the strut tower, that it makes it unreasonably hard to get a wrench in place to work on it. the turbo is held in place by four bolts of the turbines outlet flange, I won't say it's impossible to get apart in the car, but more of a PITA than I want to deal with.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Disco downpipe, loosen crossover and pull crossover and turbo as one?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:Disco downpipe, loosen crossover and pull crossover and turbo as one?
the exhaust does not support the turbo, it is supported by a bracket bolted to the transmission. if it was that simple I would have done it.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

after hours of fighting, I finally got the turbo out... I was able to get it out without dropping the cradle, but barely. now for the not so awesome news, the new turbo doesn't have the same output flange... I didn't know there was more than one t3 four bolt outlet... yay me...
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

we are all going to assume that you tried swapping exhaust housings?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

looked similar, but didn't fit.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Why not?
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

diameters were slightly different. turbine wheel is slightly bigger on the new turbo.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Post a link to your eBay auction. Weren't the wheel measurements given in the description of the ad?

Was the pic used in the auction showing the same exh housing that you already had but that's not what you got? Or was the pic different but you weren't paying attention?

I instructed you years ago to measure your wheels and asked you several times what they were. I am guessing you never actually did this because you never answered.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I knew the turbo wasn't the exact same when I bought it, the new turbo has about a 5mm larger compressor wheel. the pic of the exhaust housing was very similar, but not quite exact.

I don't get why you want to sit here and pluck this apart like you are some kind of law enforcement agency or something. it's not like I made any statement saying I was going to get the exact same turbo from the same manufacturer with the exact same specs.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

If the new one has a 5mm larger wheel, than what was the size of your old wheel in millimeters?
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

somewhere around 57-58 mm, I don't remember the exact number, I measured it shortly after I got it 4+ years ago.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

ericjon262 wrote: the new turbo doesn't have the same output flange... I didn't know there was more than one t3 four bolt outlet... yay me...
The output flange on the turbo you first bought was a Vband flange. I checked back on page 1 of this thread. So not sure what you are talking about there.
somewhere around 57-58 mm, I don't remember the exact number, I measured it shortly after I got it 4+ years ago.
It should have been 61 mm because that is what a Gt35 turbo is supposed to be. So you didn't get a Gt35 before, or if the math is right, the Gt35 you just had mailed to you has 66mm compressor which isn't a gt35 then. You might want to remeasure. should be easy now that you have the turbo off the car.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

ericjon262 wrote:
ericjon262 wrote: Image

The V-band is part of a bolted-on transition piece... I @$$ume that's the flange he's talking about.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:
ericjon262 wrote: the new turbo doesn't have the same output flange... I didn't know there was more than one t3 four bolt outlet... yay me...
The output flange on the turbo you first bought was a Vband flange. I checked back on page 1 of this thread. So not sure what you are talking about there.
It should have been 61 mm because that is what a Gt35 turbo is supposed to be. So you didn't get a Gt35 before, or if the math is right, the Gt35 you just had mailed to you has 66mm compressor which isn't a gt35 then. You might want to remeasure. should be easy now that you have the turbo off the car.

it's an ebay turbo marketed as a GT35, by no means an actual GT35...

and no, it isn't a V-band outlet, it is a 4 bolt outlet with a V-band adapter, but you would know, you have it right there in front of you... all this coming from the guy who thinks journal bearings can survive without oil...
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

you are right. At least I don't drive 20 miles after my oil feed line bursts, than asks if the turbo will be ok.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Son, you NEED a plasma cutter.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

ericjon262 wrote:god damn... drove it about 2 miles today... and the oil line for the turbo blew out... I'm hoping there's no damage, but at this point, it's impossible to tell.
Shaun41178(2) wrote:you are right. At least I don't drive 20 miles after my oil feed line bursts, than asks if the turbo will be ok.
that's literally an order of magnitude more than i drove the car the entire day. It burst less than 1/4 mile from home, as soon as I had indication, the engine was turned off and I got the car home with a buddy and my truck. I also didn't ask anyone if the turbo would be okay, I knew right off the bat it probably wasn't and that I would most likely be needing a new turbo or to rebuild the existing one. if you want to continue to attempt to attack me, be my guest, you won't hurt my feelings, right now, you're just making yourself look dumb.