progress on the banshee...

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

ericjon262

Re: progress on the banshee...

Post by ericjon262 »

all of my fancy tube flares in the fuel system held pressure as prescribed, so the fuel system is buttoned back up. I'm working on getting vacuum and boost lines made up, I had to make a few new fittings, my local source said that a tee fitting with -6 on the straights and -4 on the leg didn't exist, so I bought a -6 tee, cut the leg off and TIG'd on a -4. I need a couple more oddball fittings, but I know though exist, so hopefully I can pick them up tomorrow.

the list:
brake booster line
wastedgate and boost controller lines
BOV lines
fuel pressure regulator reference line

intercooler mount/plumbing
induction piping
pull up resistors for the MS3x (if required)
starter wiring
bulkhead passthrough for the harness
tune.

Here's a picture of how I left it the other day. the tube going around the MAP sensor is the brake booster line I started making, it's also where I've tee'd off the boost sense line for the wastegate, you can see the solenoid mounted under the front right intake bolt.
work.jpg
work.jpg (103.42 KiB) Viewed 1770 times
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

looking st the list, it looks like I haven't got shit done, but I have been working on the car quite a bit. I decided the old intercooler was going to be too much of a PITA to make work with the new engine mounts and subframe, so I picked up a new one that I think I should be able to make work, might take a little welding though. I welded up a new downpipe, all that's left with that is to install a flex coupling in it to ensure it doesn't crack. hopefully I get off work at a reasonable hour tomorrow morning, and can get to work on the intercooler mods, as well as the charge piping.

the list:
intercooler mount/plumbing
induction piping
pull up resistors for the MS3x (if required)
tune.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

So you're basically redoing your whole setup.

You fired it with the ms3 yet?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:So you're basically redoing your whole setup.

You fired it with the ms3 yet?
yes and no. the boost piping and intercooler arrangement, yes, the exhaust, just the downpipe. I welded up a new outlet a new intercooler, and tomorrow, I'm going to try and do the inlet. the new intercooler will be mounted between the engine and the right rear frame rail.

I haven't fired it yet on the MS3, but I have pretty much finished the MS3 setup and configuration. I'm going to try and knock out a crank and cam sensor learn sometime this week depending on how things go together.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Among other things, the intercooler is mounted, it's in a much better place. FYI, welding aluminum is very difficult the outlet of the intercooler is now 3" instead of 2.5", eliminating the need for an adapter to the maf, the outlet was turned 90 degrees as well to promote better fitment.
cool.jpg
cool.jpg (93.25 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

the charge piping is all done, ugly as hell, (I really suck at welding aluminum...) but I was able to eliminate several clamped connections, and silicone adapters. makes it a bit more difficult to install, but not excessively so. I'm going to finish installing it and the intercooler tomorrow, try and bleed the clutch, and commence Verification/diagnostics on the megasquirt install and settings.
ugly.jpg
ugly.jpg (138.81 KiB) Viewed 1720 times
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I installed loom on the harness and got everything more or less finished up wiring wise in the engine compartment, tomorrow, I'm going to get the intercooler plumbed, and try to get the interior wiring buttoned up. once that's done, I'm going to try and turn the engine over to determine if I need to install "pull up resistors" on the crank and cam sensor signals, and then I'll pull the MS3 back out to install the pull up for the MAF, (and crank/cam if needed) hopefully things go smooth, but I'm not holding my breath.

the list:
intercooler plumbing
pull up resistors for the MS3x
tune.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Great to see you're getting really close on this.
Especially since you started the thread in 2013 :wink:
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Great to see you're getting really close on this.
Especially since you started the thread in 2013 :wink:
yeah, maybe I should have called it "3500 rebuild, ejs262 style"... :P

So far, i've only knocked one thing off the list today, and that's the intercooler plumbing, but I did put the battery back in, and I haven't noticed any funny burning smells yet. I do have some oddities I need to track down, while cranking, I'm not getting a cam signal, only crank in the logger, on the dashboard, it doesn't show a cam sensor fault though, or a sync fault. I'm going to have to probe some minds to see whats up. could be that I need a pull up resistor for just the cam signal, or the brand new cam sensor I installed is bad.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

cam position sensor is "fixed"... helps alot to plug the thing in... LOL

:pardon:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Just be glad it was easy. :wink: :roll:
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Me too, I've started testing and am getting pretty close to attempting to start this old girl up, it's an odd feeling, both terror, and excitement. lots of second checking and what if thoughts...

I've found a couple of small issues so far, but nothing that appears catastrophic.

this is what the MS3 sees for the crank and cam sensor.
compllog.png
compllog.png (29.49 KiB) Viewed 1690 times
here is a short video of something that surprised me. injectors are pretty loud, this is all 6 firing I don't remember what RPM was being simulated though...

https://youtu.be/UywWUo5cwe8

here is coil #1 being tested. so far, everything is looking ok.

https://youtu.be/N4IeRIal2ow
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

You're doing a lot more subsystem testing than most people do.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:You're doing a lot more subsystem testing than most people do.
They are functions available within the controller, it would be a shame to not use them. it also allows me to verify that all of my wiring is true, and functions as prescribed.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Making boooooost?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Did you avoid Harvey AND Irma?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

short update, the car is in Pensacola, both the car and I avoided both hurricanes, unfortunately, I ran into the time thing again, and will be away from the car for about a year if things go according to schedule, although, I'm not at liberty to discuss the details of that schedule... pearl harbor was going to be a bit of a PITA with not nearly enough time or space to work on it, so storage was the best option. hopefully when I get back on the mainland, I can get rolling right back into it.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Going to pearl for a year?
Individual Augmentee?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Going to pearl for a year?
Individual Augmentee?
Change of homeport, I'm attached to the USS Bremerton(SSN-698), the oldest active boat in the fleet... IA... LOL Nukes need not apply for anything cool or unusual.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Back from deployment, one underway left and then hopefully I can get back to work on this, and many other projects...