progress on the banshee...

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

ericjon262

Re: progress on the banshee...

Post by ericjon262 »

Emc209i wrote:Son, you NEED a plasma cutter.
it's on the list of badass shop tools I really want, it would make my life way easier for sure.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

well, ordered a new turbo that was as close to an exact match as you can get to the one I have based on the posted measurements, and they sent me something completely different from what I ordered... ... %) wrong exhaust AR, wrong exhaust housing, in and out, the only thing that looks "right" is the compressor housing...
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

we can all assume once again your old exh housing doesn't fit this new ching chonger?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

yes, I did, turbine wheel was a few mm smaller, too much radial clearance.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

3rd time is the charm? kinda... the third turbo still didn't have the right output flange, but so far it looks like my old turbine housing is going to fit the new turbo. a quick swap looks good, need to measure clearances though.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

took some measurements, and the old exhaust housing should work on the new turbo, I'm gonna try and start putting it back together tomorrow.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Image Image Image Image
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

So you driving it yet or what?
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

nope, battery was dead as a post, the trunk light got shorted out on a chain(the light was grounded through the chain so it lit up...) I was going to use to lift the body off the cradle with, and I didn't notice until I hooked the charger up when it wouldn't start. I haven't had a chance to pick up a new one, the old one won't take a charge at all.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

obviously you removed your battery how you have your upper intake situated. you ever post pics of that? curious as to how your intercooler piping is run near the tb.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:obviously you removed your battery how you have your upper intake situated. you ever post pics of that? curious as to how your intercooler piping is run near the tb.
its run straight up the front of the engine. I'm using a 3500 timing cover, which is much lower profile than your gen 1 cover. I would be very surprised if you could do the same with your setup. the pics are old, but give you an idea.

this picture was from when I was going to mount a power steering pump on the engine with the flipped intake, it should give you an idea as to how much room is freed up by the late model timing cover.

all this being said, when I redo the turbo setup, this will probably be completely different.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

well, it was running. drove it about 20 miles, pulled into the driveway, and it shut off... ignition module tested good, and the backup module netted the same results... I'm suspecting a clogged fuel filter. the pump is working, but there is less flow noise through the regulator than there was. it will fire every now and again, run for about 5 seconds, then fall off. I'm going to do a clean and inspect of the fuel filter tomorrow and see what's up.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

nothing in the fuel filter, swapped the PCM out twice, first with another 3x00 PCM, then a 3800 PCM, the 3x00 PCM did the same shit, but oddly enough, the 3800 PCM, with a 3800 bin, started and ran long enough to get it in the garage... WTF...
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I'm guessing I have an open circuit somewhere, as my powrtuner is showing 0 injector pulse width while cranking, and it started and ran when I swapped PCM's, and then stopped again.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Check grounds. Weird symptoms like this can stem from intermittent grounds.

The Mule had such an issue for the main body ground at the battery... there was just enough corrosion around the hole that there wasn't good contact, even though the screw felt snug when I touched it with my hand. It obviously wasn't when I removed it with a tool. I punched out to a #10 stainless screw and haven't had any more problems.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I think there is an open somewhere. doesn't seem like a ground issue though, everything else seems to work too good for that, or at least if it is a ground issue, it's not a major enough ground to affect anything other than engine management.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

oddly enough, it will start and run with ether sprayed into the intake, but not on straight air/fuel... if also runs like crap when I do that... gonna try and hook up a fuel pressure gauge and see what it shows, I'm not expecting anything wrong there, but we'll see.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

You're running DIS, not CPC, right? The DIS module can run the engine without the ECM under those circumstances.