progress on the banshee...

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

ericjon262

Re: progress on the banshee...

Post by ericjon262 »

quick drawing of the new rear caliper bracket, the proof of concept won't be so fancy looking...
brake.jpg
brake.jpg (26.48 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
front brakes are on, need to install new brake lines and bleed still though.
brake2.jpg
brake2.jpg (93.56 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
the shield is done, I made it in 3/16" steel, hammered to shape and welded to the sleeves,
shield.jpg
shield.jpg (121.6 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
note the oil filter relocation is visible in the lower left hand corner. it's in a much better location than it previously was (drivers hinge box)

there's quite a bit of stuff still on the to-do list. just not enough hours in the day...
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Cool
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

bought a small cheap drill press today, and realized it is possible to drill accurate, strait holes, easily, in steel...

I whipped up a quick proof of concept for my caliper bracket, it will take some minor grinding on the actual caliper bracket to make it work, but not enough to worry me. tomorrow, I'm going to attempt to get the real deal brackets fabbed up so I can get the rear end of this pos back on the ground by the end of the week.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

here is rev 2.0 the arc is moved to the inside to provide better wheel bearing clearance, and the outside is left straight to reinforce the area where a small amount of material has to be removed from the caliper bracket for clearance. it can also be noted that there are now raised bosses for the knuckle bolts, these bosses will allow the caliper to properly align to the rotor
brake.jpg
brake.jpg (89.81 KiB) Viewed 1389 times
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

re-made the bracket in onshape instead of sketchup, took me a couple of minutes to figure it out, but the quality is better, and it exports to files that a CNC machinist can use. I've contacted a local machinist to see about making me a set of brackets. if anyone else is interested, I can see about having a couple of sets made. these adapt C5 'vette fronts to '88 fiero rear. it should work on the front as well, assuming there aren't any clearance issues, but I can't make any promises there, my car still has '85 spec front parts. on the rear, they will require minor clearancing of the caliper bracket.
brake.jpg
brake.jpg (70.3 KiB) Viewed 1384 times
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

the printed bracket test fit proved the idea, I'm off by .04" though, I revised the drawing, and should have the brackets sometime next week, so for now, I'm going to work on getting the cooling system put back together so that this thing will be closer to ready when they get here.
brake1.jpg
brake1.jpg (58.19 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

now in Billet!
brake3.jpg
brake3.jpg (131.06 KiB) Viewed 1351 times
Rear brakes are almost finalized, just need to figure out the lines. gonna mock something up tomorrow, so that on Monday I can have them fabbed up.
brake4.jpg
brake4.jpg (80.36 KiB) Viewed 1351 times
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

started working on the new brake lines. the red tape is nuclear grade, should be good enough for brakes right? lol. I'm going to have them made tomorrow morning. at a local hose manufacturer.
lines.jpg
lines.jpg (127.1 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
they are routed between the axle and the strut, and then back to the caliper.
lines2.jpg
lines2.jpg (111.18 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
once they're installed, I'll bleed the brakes and put it back on the ground.

I'm about to make a surge tank of sorts that will mount where the battery used to go, nothing too huge. the recirculation line from the thermostat housing, and the return line from the heater core will go to it, and the tee where the old coolant tree was will be connected to the bottom, so that hopefully it will act as an air trap an help prevent air from being recirc'd back into the engine.
coolant.jpg
coolant.jpg (170.32 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

progress on the surge tank:
res.jpg
res.jpg (117.05 KiB) Viewed 1320 times
all of my welds have held to over 120 PSI. once the cooling system is buttoned up, I'll remove the schrader valve installed in the cap and put a bleeder valve in to vent air from the system.

I got the rear brakes bled, moved on to the front and found that my front left line was leaking at the banjo bolt, I tightened it up a bit and almost immediately stripped the banjo... DOH! looks like I need a new caliper. :(
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Not going to try a helicoil?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Not going to try a helicoil?
I could have, but a new caliper was only $45, and I needed to remove the old one either way to install the correct guide pins. helicoil just wasn't worth the effort.

the brakes have been bled, and the car is back on the ground. I'm going to try and finish up the expansion tank tomorrow and get the cooling system sealed back up.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

took another shot at welding aluminum... we'll see if the welds hold. this should make hose routing way easier.
neck.jpg
neck.jpg (155.16 KiB) Viewed 1309 times
neck2.jpg
neck2.jpg (121.63 KiB) Viewed 1309 times
neck3.jpg
neck3.jpg (138.89 KiB) Viewed 1309 times
it's hard to tell by the pics, but the thermostat outlet now points directly down the scattershield, almost perfectly parallel.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I got lots of practice at TIG welding this weekend... we'll see if I got any better... lol. the recirc tank is done, I'm gonna mount it tomorrow, fittings are on order, and I'm gonna pic up a bunch of hose from a local supplier.
tank.jpg
tank.jpg (100.3 KiB) Viewed 1309 times
tank2.jpg
tank2.jpg (127.93 KiB) Viewed 1309 times
then there's this...
four.jpg
four.jpg (103.89 KiB) Viewed 1309 times
it's back on four wheels, with mostly functional brakes. I there's a really slow fluid leak near the right rear caliper I need to track down, then I'll bleed them again and make sure there's no air. not surprisingly, the pedal feels way different, I'm almost tempted to throw a bigger master cylinder in it, as this swap has almost 70% more piston area compared to stock. I'll get better pics of it on four wheels when I get it and the garage cleaned up.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

lots of stuff going on this week, gonna try and get the cooling system finalized, I'm currently waiting on some -12 45 degree fittings for the heater lines, and recirc lines, I've also ordered a new pair of fuel filters, a 40 micron, and 6 micron, and new screens for the injectors, I also discovered tonight that the lower port on my wastegate is leaking like mad. I ordered a replacement and should have it by friday I hope. I also ordered some stainless tubing to make fuel lines for the new filter arrangement. the next big thing I'm going to tackle is the intercooler mount and locaction, with the new subframe and engine mounts, the intercooler no longer fits where I had it with the same mount, I've got a couple of ideas, but I'm not sure what I'll do yet.

hose5.jpg
hose5.jpg (116.08 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
hose3.jpg
hose3.jpg (80.28 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
hose.jpg
hose.jpg (84.25 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

made another hose, for the thermostat outlet. I'm planning on making a pipe to replace it before too long,
thermost.jpg
thermost.jpg (117.96 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
I'm going to drop the passenger coolant tube tomorrow to fix this problem...
IMG_20170621_113052.jpg
IMG_20170621_113052.jpg (118.41 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Push-Loc!

Oh yeah, your car is old enough to have the early style water pipes... which appear to work just fine with your engine.

Post the hose P/N's, as that might help future builders.

Do you have wide angle pics of the hoses?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Push-Loc!

Oh yeah, your car is old enough to have the early style water pipes... which appear to work just fine with your engine.
works fine for now, hopefully I don't run into any more issues after I get the passenger side pipe taken care of. I really like Push-Loc fittings, they're so easy, and dirt simple.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

welded up the passenger coolant tube, and got a bunch of parts in, including my new fuel filters:
fuel.jpg
fuel.jpg (76.29 KiB) Viewed 1261 times
the first is a 40 micron, the second is a 6 micron, for reference, a human hair is about 75 micron diameter.

I started working on the water pump suction hose, and think I have something that will work, but I need a couple more clamps, and because I've made a somewhat silly requirement of using T-bolt clamps and not worm clamps, it'll have to wait until monday to be buttoned up and pressure tested.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I haven't done nearly as much work on the car as I wanted to this past week, been working long hours, and it's been 100*F+ in the garage. a couple of small updates, the cooling system is holding pressure, no obvious leaks, but the radiator cap appears to be faulty, when you pressurize it above it's relief point, it blows coolant out of the cap instead of into the overflow, I bought a new cap and hope it remedies my problem. I also got quite a bit of work done on the fuel system. the new filters are mounted in the same position as the old aeromotive unit, but are much larger and harder to package. I would like to come up with something better, but there aren't many other places to put them. next time I have the engine out, I'll mount them better than they are now.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I'm having trouble finding a radiator cap that will seal worth a damn... the radiator is an aftermarket stock replacement, but all the replacement caps are way too loose... it's frustrating me quite a bit. the injectors have new screens and are re-installed, and the all the old gas is pumped out of the tank, I'm going to pick up 2 gallons of gas so I can set fuel pressure and leak check the fuel system.