progress on the banshee...

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

ericjon262

progress on the banshee...

Post by ericjon262 »

I've had a couple of build threads going on the car, so I figured, why not post it here too...

the car is a 1985 SE, originally a V6 slushbox. I'm almost done swapping in a 2006 G6 3.5, and a 2001 Sunfire F23.

Here's what I started with...

best 1/8 mile run was 10.71... lots of room for improvement there...

the engine:

port job on the heads

rods and pistons

ebay GT35

a2w intercooler setup

intercooler tank

the fabbed parts:

Rear transmission mount

front transmission mount.

Power steering pump mount*

*not sure if it will end up being put into service or not.

coilovers

PCM mount

intercooler mount.

custom headers and hotside

wrapped the top half of the dashboard in "marine" grade vinyl. I riveted a piece of 1/4" aluminum fuel line int he groove running the width of the dash to hold the the vinyl down.

the intake (I did the fitting, and a local shop did the welding.

today was spent working on the wiring harness again. the voice in my head was telling me something wasn't right, so I took it back apart and am re-doing it, and making a few aesthetic changes too. I consider most everything I've built for the car a "prototype" as I intend to redo quite a bit of it a little different
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
ericjon262

Re: progress on the banshee...

Post by ericjon262 »

I found a neat ICM adapter in the junkyard.

I find it's alot easier to drill 3 big holes accurately, then 6 little holes...

I re-installed the mock up engine today. so I could get the harness, fuel lines done, and the coolant lines done. the harness sits now at about 75% complete.

the main battery positive cable is done, the ground still needs to be terminated at the rear of the car on the engine block.

I'm going to try to do a systems check tomorrow afternoon/night. if all goes according to plan, my car will have electrical power for the first time in about 2 years tomorrow.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Hit my first snag on the coldside, I expected it though.

My BOV flange pipe is too long, the problem is that the only direction I have to go in is down, and with that long of a straightaway, it hits the trans mounts.

the plan right now, is to cut the pipe the width of a T bolt clamp past the flange, and cut the silicone much shorter too. The resulting assembly should be about the width of the two peices of silicone butted directly together as pictured below.

I still need to do a real test fit of the new layout to make sure it will fit as planned, but I think it should work fine.

Edit:

feeling around in the dark tells me it'll be really close, may need to clearance the transmission mount a little bit. it can be pretty close though, because the whole coldside will move with the engine
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

When I clicked on the thread I thought you were building a quad.

Not sold on the e-bay turbo but will be interesting for a budget build.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

crzyone wrote:When I clicked on the thread I thought you were building a quad.

Not sold on the e-bay turbo but will be interesting for a budget build.

yeah I'm hoping the ebay turbo is more of a temporary thing, not to hard to swap out, just 8 bolts, 2 oil lines, and a couple of T bolts.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

for anyone interested in swapping to a 3x00, TCE sells adapters to adapt the stock fuel rail to AN fittings.

http://britishcarconversions.com/compon ... gory_id=26

and for the rest of you, Nook and Tranny sells AN fitting adapter that should work for the body side lines.

http://www.nookandtranny.com/mm5/mercha ... ode=HOS-AN

I've got a set on order, we'll know 100% when they get here.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

When I did my first turbo swap around 6-7 years ago, I used those fittings in the second link to adapt the stock metal fuel lines to some braided -6 line which went to the fuel rail. So I can say first hand those fittings will work
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:When I did my first turbo swap around 6-7 years ago, I used those fittings in the second link to adapt the stock metal fuel lines to some braided -6 line which went to the fuel rail. So I can say first hand those fittings will work

awesome, thanks!
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Pressure-rated fuel hose, double clamped on the supply side, will be fine. AN fittings are not necessary unless you want the bling.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Pressure-rated fuel hose, double clamped on the supply side, will be fine. AN fittings are not necessary unless you want the bling.
while this is true, on fuel, I prefer to limit clamped connections where-ever possible. one less possible failure point is always a good thing.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

"finished" the wiring harness again, not to happy with the looks of it, oh well, I'll remake it later when I have more time to throw at it. tomorrow morning I'm going to do a systems check and make sure everything opperates as it should. hopefully I won't be changing a bunch of fuses... :crazy:

not sure why, but every time I had made a harness, I had started at the sensors and worked my way to the PCM, it hit me as I was working on the harness last night, I'd be way better off doing the opposite. It's much easier to make 3-4 wires even and neat in one spot then it is to do 60+.

I got the material for my downpipe in, I got it about 30% complete,

I should be getting a whole heap of parts in on wednesday to finish up the exhaust.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

!!!!

Houston, we have POWER!

so far, everything is looking good, the harness is installed, the PCM is communicating with my tuner, and the junkyard SPL. headlight motors work!
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

ok, so far I've only had a few little speedbumps. but now, I've got a good one, key on engine off, I don't have a CEL, and the charge failure light doesn't stay on either.

grounding pin C on the C203 gets a bright CEL, so the bulb is good, that means the issue is somewhere between the C203 and the PCM. I'll have it fixed tonight.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

issue turned out to be with the PCM power, the PCM I am using needed two IGN+, I only had one. now everything works as prescribed.

I got a bunch of parts in today, including some of the drain fittings for the turbo...

Damn they're huge! lol...

I also got a little bit more work on the downpipe done but it keeps raining outside where the car is, so progress has been slow...
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Stopped raining long enough for me to get a little bit of work done on the downpipe.

routing wise, the downpipe is done. I'm going to add a flex pipe in the straight section right before the muffler, and a V band at the muffler inlet.

to finish the downpipe, I still need to:
  1. fully weld each seam(tacked now)
  2. weld in the o2 sensor bungs
  3. obtain and weld in the flex pipe
  4. integrate the wastegate dump.
I also have everything to finish the fuel system now, except for the TCE rail fittings, and the line itself.

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

ericjon262 wrote:to finish the downpipe, I still need to:
  1. fully weld each seam(tacked now)
Weld the V-band flanges to the pipe LAST. I learned this the hard way. If everything is tacked and fits perfectly, it will move enough as it's welded that the tacks holding the V-band flanges to the pipes will need to be cut and re-tacked to get the flanges to line back up.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

that makes sense, heat has a way of doing things like that.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

took a break on the exhaust and got started on the catch can today.

still need to add fittings, and it's pretty big though, I might cut it down about 25% to make packaging a little easier.

got my AN fittings in for the fuel rails, so tomorrow I'll try to get the fuel system finished up. I'm glad they aren't red like int he picture on Marc's website, they appear to be clear anodized.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

mostly complete can, made almost entirely of scrap:

I also got the downpipe welded up, and the WG bump integrated. all that's left in the exhaust is the slashcut, Vband on the muffler, and the tailpipe. some of the welds look like crap, the fitup was less then ideal, but it's sealed, and strong, and won't be visable an

I also got the fuel system pretty much done, just needs to be tied back.

ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

well... today was a bust. ended up spending the day re-doing the intercooler bracket because it was making it a bitch to run the oil drain from the turbo to the pan. now instead of coming off the side of the block inbetween the a/c compressor and the starter, it's in front of the a/c compressor. I'll try to get pics of how I mounted it tomorrow.