Plastic air filter housing

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Plastic air filter housing

Post by Series8217 »

Instead of buying yet another oiled cone filter (I ruined mine by getting it dusty with silt, which has proved to be impossible to clean and remove) I want to switch to OEM-style paper filters. This will require putting it someplace where it can't get wet when I drive through a puddle or wash my car, so that means the engine bay. I'm using the Fiero V6 housing right now in place of my cone filter, and this thing sucks. It's ugly and I feel like it cuts the power noticeably.

What modern (90s+) air filter box will fit nicely in the area under the driver's side decklid vent? Preferably something with pretty good flow, since I'm making 220 whp (~250 crank). Is there a Chevy truck housing or something like that which will fit?

Otherwise I'm thinking about building some sort of box into the area behind the driver's side quarter panel, and putting a Chevy truck or Honda S2000 filter in it.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Re: Plastic air filter housing

Post by Series8217 »

Fiero 89/90 prototype:

I don't know if this air filter box went into production for another car or if it's just a one-off.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I know the gn 2 cavaliers with the 2.8/3.1 had an airbox like a stock Fiero but the lid was different allowing air to be pulled in through the top as well.

Doing this through my phone so I hope this works

http://www.google.com/search?q=89+caval ... &sa=N#i=12
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

The image doesn't show up for me, I think this is what you are talking about

Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

yup thanks cinci
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Interesting. Still not a lot of of filter area though. It probably flows a bit better than the one for the Fiero, but it's sized for a 3.1 OHV motor.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

the late 90's Chevy trucks have a nice plastic air cleaner housing. not sue how well it would fit, I'll try to get a pic for you later today.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Another option that you could try is to get a wrap for your filter for when you are out in the desert. That will protect your filter. Or use a cheap filter with your current setup that you can toss when out in the desert, throw a k&n for all other events.

Summit has them.

If you modify a cavalier box, you can cut open the bottom like on a stock fiero. Have air coming in from top and bottom. i think a stock v6 filter has enough surface area to flow for a 250 hp engine. is there math anyone knows to verify?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Filter area is over-rated... There have been a few magazine tests that found 1-2 HP difference between huge and tiny filters on 600 HP engines.

I'm in the market for a similar airbox. I'd like to mount my PCM inside it, but a production-engineered piece would be my ideal.

I guess I could have the local fab shop whip one up out of sheet aluminum if it came to it.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Filter area is over-rated... There have been a few magazine tests that found 1-2 HP difference between huge and tiny filters on 600 HP engines.
It may be overrated for higher maximum flow, but not dirt-carrying capacity. More filter area = more dirt before becoming a significant restriction.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I checked out the truck airbox today, and as I imagined, it's way to big. next time I'm out in the junkyard I'll keep a better eye out for you.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

ericjon262 wrote:I checked out the truck airbox today, and as I imagined, it's way to big. next time I'm out in the junkyard I'll keep a better eye out for you.
Oh well.. thanks for checking!
FieroWanaBe1

Post by FieroWanaBe1 »

perhaps, this may fit:

Hopefully, after I clean the pine needles out of my car this week, Ill try to put my old airbox from My GTO in my Fiero and snap some pictures, right now it looks like it may just sneak in place.
car.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

That looks cool, but I think the pipe comes out the wrong side. I guess I'll have to see how you plan to orient it.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Did you get a chance to test fit it yet?
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Found this excellent article from Autospeed on developing and testing air filter housings: http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=110281