Supercharged 2.8

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Identity Crisis

Supercharged 2.8

Post by Identity Crisis »

It is a 2.8L Fiero GT V6 with a roots style M90 I think SC.
I am wondering how much power this guy got and how well did it run.

I would suspect that he used an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to adjust for the fuel needed and maybe a tune?

2015 Dodge Journey RT Rally AWD
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
1992 Pontiac Grand Prix STE
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT
Emc209i

Re: How would this run?

Post by Emc209i »

It's not a simple bolt on. You've got to worry about a slew of supporting mods, including headers, tune, larger injectors, etc. Its a lot of leg work and a lot of brain power to get something like that set up correctly. Then it makes like ... ~230lb of torque.

Again, I'd toss a 3800 in, use all of the stock programs, parts, and designs, and call it a day. Then when you get bored, power is a cam and pulley swap away. ... and its not going to break like that 60 degree is.

And yeah, that's an M90 off of a 3.8 Thunderbird. Just put the engine in with the supercharger. 8)
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Everything's a system, like EMC said. There's a lot of additional "rebalancing" that has to be done to make that run well.

That said, no intercooler = fail. The blower is very inefficient, so it really heats the intake air. He could get away with decent boost on E85 or maybe water/meth injection, but that's MORE rebalancing.

Granted, you could do minimal supporting mods and run 5 psi, but what's the point of that when you could have more power and 60 fewer pounds in the engine bay for less work by swapping in an aluminum head 3500?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I like it. I really thought a 2.8 fiero was fun to drive, and adding a little kick for next to no cost appeals to me.

I imagine a 2.8 could be boosted to a decent 200hp with that supercharger and water/meth. Probably a good idea to swap to a 3.4 bottom end for better oiling.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Re: Supercharged 2.8

Post by Series8217 »

I moved this to non-tech, and changed the subject.

Please use descriptive subjects in the future. Subjects like "what is this?" "this is cool" "how does this work?" are not appreciated.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Whew, it's a good thing we have Steven to enforce the speed limits on the loneliest rode in America :wink:
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

crzyone wrote:I like it. I really thought a 2.8 fiero was fun to drive, and adding a little kick for next to no cost appeals to me.

I imagine a 2.8 could be boosted to a decent 200hp with that supercharger and water/meth. Probably a good idea to swap to a 3.4 bottom end for better oiling.

Financial costs would be low, human capital costs would be extremely high.

Why invest 6 months of weekends into making that work when you could do a 3800SC in a weekend and have a chunk more power.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I'm thinking a day or 2 to make a mount for the SC and a pully for the blower.

Maybe another 6 hours to rig up a water/meth system. I don't see the complication at all. Tuning would be the only time consuming thing but if you have a reputable tuner I can't see it taking that long.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

You are much handy-er than I. I couldn't get that together that fast.

I like keeping the original motors in cars but it just seems time consuming in this case to try to make real power out of a 2.8.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

It would take longer than two days to throw that shit together. Planning the throttle body in that picture would take a day to get your head around, then there's everything else, and this is assuming you've spent a long time planning everything out before hand.

Then there's tuning, and you know a mail order or one time tune is going to leave some holes. The 3800 is one thousand times the engine the sixty degree is, so there's really no point in leaving it in unless you just don't want to mess with it.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

The LS1 is one-thousand times the engine the 3800 is, so why are you wasting your time?
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Because the LS1 doesn't fit. But I agree, fuck transverse engine configurations.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

crzyone wrote:I'm thinking a day or 2 to make a mount for the SC and a pully for the blower.
I agree that it would take longer than that to design and build a decent blower mount. I can't even tell from the photo how the blower's mounted in that installation.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Emc209i wrote:Because the LS1 doesn't fit.
Oh come on, you know better. Ls1 fits just fine.
water_pump.jpg
water_pump.jpg (43.6 KiB) Viewed 15190 times
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

There is about 3 or 4 engines I'd consider before the 3800 boat anchor.

And I meant 2 days to figure out a SC mount, not the whole setup. My room mate is a welder so fabing something up would be much quicker for me personally.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

A professional fabricator could do it in a couple of days