Concept to Realization

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Emc209i

Re: Concept to Realization

Post by Emc209i »

Seems like the conversation always goes back to hypotheticals on this topic. No the 3800 isn't light, yes its a boat anchor, yes its iron. But then again, what is a Fiero? Its heavy, iron, and a boat anchor. That's why they belong together I guess... or is it? :)

What's most important here is track record. What engine is notoriously the most reliable. Which engine has put more cars at the top of the 1/4 list? Which engine physically fits the best and/or is the easiest to install. I think you all get it.... (If you don't, it's the 3800). We can go back to paper and say "X isn't ideal because its heavier than Y", "wouldn't it be nice if X were made from the materials Y is", but then again the Fiero is pretty far from ideal to begin with. Like I said, too many people try to make the car into something it isn't, and they never even finish swapping the engine. The people who settle for engine's like the 3800 get their car put together and get to enjoy the car for what it is, pretty far from ideal, but still fun for a thirty year old platform. I think both forums undercut reliability far too much. Sure we all have expectations, but what's the point of having the car at all if we can't get in it whenever we want and drive it across the country if need be. Swaps like the LNF, 3.6 DOHC, Ecotech, etc have either little or absolutely no track record. What's the guys name on piffle who's been trying to get his Ecotech going for years? Its been so long that there's a celebration when a video of the engine idling is posted... I mean come on, we have to have higher expectation than to simply hear the motor start in two years. That's a lot of wasted life.

If we are going split hairs, the first thing that needs to get crushed is the Fiero.

Note: I'm not taking anything personal here, or directing anything at anyone. I've just spent way more time in my life than I'd like to thinking about this concept. I might as well put those thoughts out there.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

The Fiero is heavy for what it is. Adding to the weight with a cast iron lump is compounding the problem. On the list an 84 Fiero with Iron Duke is 2600#. That's getting in the ballpark of acceptable. Getting rid of the 2.8 for a smaller lighter engine will also help weight balance.

I couldn't care less about 1/4 mile times. I'm more impressed by quick auto x or road course times personally. That's why I said if I ever got back into the Fiero game I would start with an 88. They seem to be much better around an auto x track than the older gen Fieros.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

crzyone wrote:Adding to the weight with a cast iron lump is compounding the problem.
Well I mean... which problem is that? That its an unsuitable track car? Nothings going to solve that but a chunk amount of money, which you said yourself is why you got out of Fiero's. A $1500 Miata will kick the snot out of a Fiero when it comes to corners. You have to enjoy the Fiero for what it is, a commuter / street sports car. I've ridden in a pretty planted and competitive 3800 Fiero, I don't think it would have had any problem smashing a lighter block V6 around a track. Maybe it sacrificed a little bit in the curves, but it pulled like no other in the straights. Most important was that it didn't break when being pushed like a scalded dog.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I'm sure a properly built 88 Fiero can be competitive with a Miata. I sold my Fiero because it was the wrong platform. I didn't want to dump a ton of cash into a 86 Fiero. If I started with an 88 I'd maybe still have it.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Emc209i wrote: You have to enjoy the Fiero for what it is, a commuter / street sports car.
I hardly even drive my Fiero on the street anymore. It's a blast on the track and exhaustingly addictive in AutoX. All the damn thing needed was a fast steering rack and Fieroguru's lateral link relocation brackets. My buddy with a Cayman S drove my Fiero at an autox and said he wanted to set up his Cayman to have the same feel.
Identity Crisis

Post by Identity Crisis »

So it would seem that in one way or another that my idea of going with a 3800 and my base power upgrade is a good idea and then to build on from there?

DO we all agree on that?

So with that in mind are there areas I need to look out for with doing a 3800 Swap?
2015 Dodge Journey RT Rally AWD
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
1992 Pontiac Grand Prix STE
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Identity Crisis wrote:
DO we all agree on that?
Do YOU agree with that?

It's YOUR car. Our agreement is irrelevant.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Agree with Will. But I personally hate the 3800 and would never swap one. Heavy, boring, inefficient, old technology, and they sound awful.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Will's right, its ultimately up to you. But I don't think anyone here can fault you on going with the 3800, if that's what you decide. I personally think its the wise decision.
Aaron wrote:Agree with Will. But I personally hate the 3800 and would never swap one. Heavy, boring, inefficient, old technology, and they sound awful.
Heavy - lighter than the engine you chose...
Boring - hardly.
Inefficient - It's boosted, that becomes a pretty low priority.
Old tech - Proven tech.
Sound - With the right exhaust they sound great. (BMWGuru's exhaust)

Again, we're back to hypotheticals. What are some real world examples of a better suited engine, Aaron? We're trying to help this guy find the best fit.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

He is looking for a driver, a 3800 auto will do that.

It doesn't make sense to have a heavy engine and transmission in a small sporty car but to each his own.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Do we know of a smaller sportier engine that has a track record?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

The Ecotec. It has a track record in the cars it comes in.

I think the reason you don't see it in Fieros is the Fiero owner mindset. Taking out a V-6 and installing a 4 cylinder doesn't cross many Fiero owners minds. Even though a stock Ecotec has the same or more power than the 2.8 with lighter weight and better fuel economy it's not even considered a swap. A Turbo ecotec is another animal all together.

A relatively small turbo ecotec for good response would be the ultimate swap imo. It won't get you the wow factor of a supercharged boat anchor or SBC but it'll smoke them on a race track.

The swap might not be for armatures or first timers but it can't be that hard. Once a few have been done properly and a few build threads people won't be so reluctant to swap them in.
Identity Crisis

Yes since I have experience in the L67 that is the route I believe I will be taking.

Also interesting Vid, I just happened across.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRR8RlAQro0
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Oh oh oh oh, can I post a video of a Civic beating a Pagani Zonda?
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Identity Crisis wrote:Yes since I have experience in the L67 that is the route I believe I will be taking.

Also interesting Vid, I just happened across.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRR8RlAQro0
That doesn't show anything except that the ZR1 driver had a lousy reaction time...
Identity Crisis

Guys come on now, just saw this video and thought I would share thats all.
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Lol... that's ok. No video's going to satisfy everyone. Steven and I are both pretty data-driven guys... the gee whiz videos don't do much for us.

I still like to see cars run fast, though.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Identity Crisis wrote:Guys come on now, just saw this video and thought I would share thats all.
They're just mad that their Fiero's can't pull like that in the eighth.

If only someone had been there to guide them towards the Buick boat anchor. :wink:

You get special treatment Bull.
Identity Crisis

Emc209i wrote:
Identity Crisis wrote:Guys come on now, just saw this video and thought I would share thats all.
They're just mad that their Fiero's can't pull like that in the eighth.

If only someone had been there to guide them towards the Buick boat anchor. :wink:

You get special treatment Bull.
LOL thanks buddy.
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT