3.4 DOHC crate engine buildup for 87 Fiero.

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Re: 3.4 DOHC crate engine buildup for 87 Fiero.

Post by Aaron »

Ok that makes sense then, except leave it to GM to have 2 wires of the same color go into a connector. I guess with backup lamps I'll just guess and check.

Thank you and I hope your Thanksgiving went well!
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Turns out the connector has one light green w/ black stripe wire, and one plain light green for the backup lamps. Anyone know which one is the feed, which one is the output? There's no harm in guess and check, but I'd like to be able to solder them up and wrap the harness knowing it's right.

Now can you guys help me identify these connectors? I'm fairly certain they came from the TDC harness (Which was an auto), although there is a slim possibility they came from the Fiero harness.

Single pin, red wire. Nearly 100& sure this was in the TDC harness, and it exited the harness with the O2 sensor wire and auto trans wires.

Three pins, only two used. One wire is yellow w/ black stripe, the other black w/ white stripe. This is not for the TDC's DIS module, I already have that accounted for.

Two pins, one green the other black or brown:

Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

The reverse switch on the neutral safety is a simple single pole single throw switch. You can wire the two green wires into it one way or the other, it makes no difference. The switch is an N/O switch that closes only when you shift to reverse.

Can't help you with the other connectors, I'm in Atlanta. I think I know what they are, but I could be wrong.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

2-pin, green and black is the AC compressor clutch connector.

The red one is a diagnostic connector for something...
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Thanks guys, I think that'll pretty much wrap this up!
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Wiring harness is done. I'm going to hold off on wrapping it until the motor is running, I think every 3.4 swap I've done I've had to tear into the harness to diagnose or repair a no-start or other wiring problem. So leave it at this until the initial start-up/test, then I'll take it out and shield it. The tails are very long, this was done on purpose. I didn't have the engine or the car on hand to measure from, so I guessed on lengths, and tried to error on the side of caution. Plus having longer tails will mean being able to run the wires the best way so that they won't get near anything bad.

ECU is dead center obviously, to the right are the tails for the C203 and the ALDL. To the left the harness goes through the firewall, then down. As it goes down it splits into 4 or 5 main groups. One for the fuel pump relay, C500 wiring, fuel injection mini-harness, automatic trans wiring, and the DIS wiring/grounds. And right off the C500 is a small group of wires for the alternator and knock sensor.

bmtfiero

Post by bmtfiero »

Any new updates?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

No, this is the end of my part of his engine swap, I'm not doing the physical part of swapping the engine.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Aaron wrote:No, this is the end of my part of his engine swap, I'm not doing the physical part of swapping the engine.
bummer. is the new owner a member? did you refer him here so we could watch the build?
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Yes he knows about this site and thread, although I'm not sure if he'll join and finish the buildup on here.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Got any pics of the car?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

No I don't, all I know is it was an 87 V6 auto.
Identity Crisis

Post by Identity Crisis »

Where can I get a copy of a good Wiring diagram for this swap. I am almost at the point of doing the swap and I would like to go over the wiring.
2015 Dodge Journey RT Rally AWD
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
1992 Pontiac Grand Prix STE
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT