3.4 DOHC crate engine buildup for 87 Fiero.

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Re: 3.4 DOHC crate engine buildup for 87 Fiero.

Post by Aaron »

It sucks not having the parts I need, but I got a few in so got a little more progress made today. I still can't put the plenum on, waiting on the wiring harness.

Pulley system is done. The belt runs close to the plastic tab to the left of the power steering idler, maybe 1/4", it might rub. If so I'll have to grind that down a little. I'd run a larger pulley but then the other side gets close, and it might run into decklid clearance problems. Besides this pulley fits perfectly, which is hard to find. I really wish the 3.4 had more wrap on the water pump, it just seems like not enough to me.

One of the clearance areas for a 3.4 Fiero is the oil dipstick. Some people route it around the side of the motor, some forget about it, but I like to leave it where it's at, bending it back. On my motor I switched valve covers so I had room, but I had to weld an oil fill on. For this motor I wanted to leave the stock front valve cover, as it has an oil fill, and I think it matches the rest of the motor better. So I cut into it, and bent the dipstick back. I personally like the way it turned out, I'm almost positive it'll clear, and it removes pretty easily.

88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I think I've read elsewhere before, but where do you get the bracket for the A/C delete idler?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I got it from http://www.rockauto.com, and it fit perfectly.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

What's the application?
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:What's the application?
3.4 DOHC W-Body, such as a 1993 Chevy Lumina Z34.

The part number is Dorman 34197. It's listed as "A/C Compressor Bypass Pulley".

It should work for most GM engines.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Wild... I thought it would be for something wierd like a V6 Cavalier with A/C delete.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

When I worked at Pep Boys in high school we had TONS of listings for American cars for them, it came up in the Air Conditioning section on the computer. Its not a part that GM put on base model cavaliers, its for people who's AC broke and did not want to fix it. We had them for 3800s, Northstars I'm pretty sure, etc. I always like working air on my cars so I've never bought one, but at least several years ago they weren't hard to come by for a wide variety of applications.

I suppose as long as the compressor was the same the pulley bracket would fit tons of stuff. I don't know how many compressors GM used over the years though.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Finally an update, as I got the parts I needed in. Upper intake manifold on, coil packs/ICM on, and the vacuum lines have been sorted out. Still need to do breather lines, EGR blockoff plate, spark plug wires, and the wiring harness. Almost ready!

88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Today's update. The hardest part of wiring I think is just determining where each connector goes. I got everything I need off the Fiero harness (C203 and C500), and stripped all of the plastic casing and tape off the TDC harness. I've got the C203 about halfway wired, but had to stop for the night. Tomorrow will be finishing the C203 and hopefully the C500 also. A/C is being deleted, and I'm wiring the car for a 4T60e as that is what he eventually, if not right away, wants in it. Actually makes my job a little easier, as I don't have to swap the Fiero VSS over, I can keep the TDC one (Even though it's only a single 2-wire connector).

The Fiero crap is on the right, the TDC and new harness is on the left. One of the scariest parts of the TDC harness is how many wires there are going to the body and fuse box connectors. I've probably got 40 or so wires just dangling around, that I'm not sure what to do with right away. Eventually they'll all go somewhere or go away, but for the time being it's intimidating to say the least.

Series8217, man I cannot thank you enough, without you this would easily have taken me 4 times as long just to get where I'm at now. The wiring guide you sent me years ago is priceless.

Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I guess I shouldn't have thanked Series too much. I like using the Fiero relays, as they have the bracket on them, and if you remove A/C which I'm doing it leaves an extra in case the FP one fails. Well Series used the TDC ones in his wiring guide, and the wire colors are different. And after hacking apart the Fiero harness I left all of the relay wires cut, so I have no idea where they previously went. I had run into this same problem with one of my TDCs, but forgot where I put the pinout.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I'm beginning to think I'm the only one watching this thread, but I might as well update it I guess.

I finished up the C203 and ALDL connector today, despite Series' best efforts (His wiring guide isn't 100% complete). The C203 is longer than necessary, I wasn't sure where exactly it sits or where exactly he is going to mount the ECU, so I gave him a few inches extra. I'll start the C500 and ground straps tomorrow. Having the automatic trans is driving me crazy, as I haven't done one before, and Series of course didn't instruct for it. I plan on ignoring it until I absolutely can't put it off any longer. Then I'll find a detailed thread over at piffle for a 4T65e 3800 swap and follow that, should be mostly the same.

Sorry for the poor quality photos, been using the iPhone for them. Maybe I'll bust out the GoPro tomorrow.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I haven't messed with the PCM's that have the 4x 24 pin connectors before.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

At least half of the pins aren't even used, 2 connectors would've been sufficient.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Wiring is a pain, but careful and thorough attention to it is one of the best things that can be done to keep an engine bay clean and aesthetic.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Can you send me Series8217's wiring gui-- I mean my wiring guide? I don't even know if I still have that on my computer.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

There is a 7-pin, flat connector on the auto transmissions (Both the Fiero 3-speed and the 4T60e), as seen below. The one on the left is from the Fiero, the one on the right the 4T60e. I cannot find a diagram or pinout for this plug, it isn't on the ECM pinouts (Unlike the other trans plug). The Fiero only uses 6/7 plugs, the 4T60e uses all 7. I know what the large purple and yellow wires go to.

On the Fiero 3-speed, the green and blue wires in the center, next to the large purple and yellow wires, control the backup lights. However I'm not sure what the other 2 wires go to, the ones at the top of that connector. On the 4T60e connector to the right, I'm not sure what any of the 7 do other than the purple and yellow. I assume 2 are for the backup lights, but I'm not sure which.

Any help? Thanks!

Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Thanks for the reply, but I don't believe that is for the connector I showed, I think that is for the main trans control connector. The TDC also has a connector like that, although it is slightly different, it's round though also a 7-pin. I have the pinout/diagram for it.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

It's the bundle of wires you need to identify. Upstream, but it leads to the correct connector. I didn't have time to dig up the exact schematic or ask for the year and model. As you can see, its the correct information, with the correct wires and colors. Keep up the good work.