My 3.4 DOHC powered red and black camo '88 Fiero Track Car

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

My 3.4 DOHC powered red and black camo '88 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

I uhhh don't have a build thread here. Weird, huh?

So this will be my overview / mods list.

Model: 1988 Pontiac Fiero Coupe
Exterior Color: Awesome
Interior Color: Black
Engine: 1993 3.4 DOHC V6 "LQ1"
Transmission: 5-speed Getrag 282
Purchased: December 2006
Weight: 2780 lbs wet (without driver)

Engine:
  • Balanced and blueprinted 1993 3.4 DOHC V6 from a Chevrolet Lumina Z34.
  • Custom short-runner intake manifold.
  • 2.5″ exhaust with Magnaflow muffler.
  • Dyno-tested at 220 whp @ 5800 RPM, 218 ft·lb @ 4900 (tested at Church Automotive in June 2007 on a Dynapack).
  • California emissions legal, inspected and approved via the California Bureau of Automotive Repair.

Cooling: Transmission / Clutch: Brakes:
  • West Coast Fiero brake caliper relocation brackets for 12" C4 Corvette rotors, using Centric 12" brake rotors
  • Porterfield R4 brake pads
  • Goodridge Stainless Steel braided brake hoses
Front Suspension [*]Rodney Dickman solid rod end links[/list]

Rear Suspension [*]Stock 88 Formula/GT rear swaybar

Steering: Wheels/Tires: Aerodynamics: Interior:
  • Seats: Red Sparco Rev (driver), Red Corbeau A4 (passenger)
  • Sparco Steering Wheel
  • Weighted Momo Shift Knob
[*]Painted black
[*]Mostly stripped out

Safety: Film:
Matt Farah of The Smoking Tire made a film about my Fiero for /DRIVE channel in YouTube.

Here is the full length video for DRIVE+ subscribers -- or you can get a 14-day free trial subscription:

Here is the free, shorter version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVBLU1fhqnY

Another option is to buy the full length video a la carte for $0.99 on Vimeo. This works for international viewers too:
http://vimeo.com/ondemand/driveplus10/108641839

More pics:

Photo by Cali Photography

Fast88Fiero

Re: My 3.4 DOHC powered '88 Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

I've always thought your car was awesome!
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Yeah, you've done a great job with it.

Is your engine bay still that clean?

Why does it look like you have a folded up rag hanging out of your left front turn signal opening?
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Thanks!
The Dark Side of Will wrote: Is your engine bay still that clean?
Not quite; the aluminum/silver paint has darkened and flaked in some places. Everything had just been painted when that picture was taken.
Why does it look like you have a folded up rag hanging out of your left front turn signal opening?
It's a tow loop. Eventually I'll put a TOW sticker on the fascia..
fieroguru

Post by fieroguru »

Great job!
I really like all the handling enhancements you have been working on and plan to do something similar to mine eventually.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Just enough power, aero and suspension work to create probably my favorite fiero on this forum! I like your approach to modding.

I'd love to go for a ride on track to see what it's like. I really wish I had started with an 88, I might still have it like you.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

It appears as if you still have the front engine bracket/dogbone mount bracket still on the motor. Do you use a dogbone there? If not that's an easy 10-15 lbs if you remove it, and frees up quite a bit of room. I'm sure you left it there for a reason though, it'd be hard to miss.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Aaron wrote:It appears as if you still have the front engine bracket/dogbone mount bracket still on the motor. Do you use a dogbone there? If not that's an easy 10-15 lbs if you remove it, and frees up quite a bit of room. I'm sure you left it there for a reason though, it'd be hard to miss.
As you can see in the photo I did remove the dogbone mount part of it so it's just a lift bracket now. Still somewhat heavy I guess. I could remove it, but if I remember correctly it's not that easy to remove the bolts because they're blocked by the slave cylinder bracket and crossover pipe. I'll check again, as that's definitely free weight loss... thanks for noticing!
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I'm surprised you left it haha. Being that you don't need to lift the motor to take it out of the Fiero, I'd definitely take it off. I'm not sure about the slave bracket, but the coolant crossover does interfere with removing it. Just undo it from one end, loosen the 8mm bolt into the head (Good luck with that!) and you can wiggle it out.

Oh you meant the exhaust crossover. Ya that too haha. Still not hard for an easy 5lbs?
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Aaron wrote:I'm surprised you left it haha. Being that you don't need to lift the motor to take it out of the Fiero, I'd definitely take it off. I'm not sure about the slave bracket, but the coolant crossover does interfere with removing it. Just undo it from one end, loosen the 8mm bolt into the head (Good luck with that!) and you can wiggle it out.

Oh you meant the exhaust crossover. Ya that too haha. Still not hard for an easy 5lbs?
Well, I do need to lift the motor off the cradle ;-). But yeah, there's really no reason for it to be there now. Added it to my list.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Gotcha. Your swap is so clean, always been one of my favorite. But not enough power for me.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Racing isn't about all out power, a well balanced car is just as important. It's much easier to learn how to race in a low to medium power car than a high powered car. I also think Steven has just enough power to not worry about breaking drivetrain parts on the track.

Not once in my 3.4TDC fiero did I think it was slow. It felt like a rocket ship compared to the stock 2.8
draven

Post by draven »

Steven,

What wires and boots are you utilizing?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I have to agree with the other comments and say this is one of my favorite Fieros out there. not a big fan of the wing, but it serves a purpose, which is why I think I like this car so much, everything serves a purpose.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

crzyone wrote:Racing isn't about all out power, a well balanced car is just as important.
Exactly.

My car modding philosophy emphasizes simplicity, balance, and reliability.
draven wrote:What wires and boots are you utilizing?
The GM/AC Delco ones. They are infinitely reliable if you don't cut or abrade them, and they have a lifetime warranty.
ericjon262 wrote:I have to agree with the other comments and say this is one of my favorite Fieros out there. not a big fan of the wing, but it serves a purpose, which is why I think I like this car so much, everything serves a purpose.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

While balance/durability are certainly important especially when learning, more power will always be faster. Putting my turbo motor into this car would significantly improve lap times. However it would add weight of course (20 lbs maybe?), and it would absolutely make the car much harder to drive (Dare I say impossible) and more unreliable.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Aaron wrote:it would absolutely make the car much harder to drive (Dare I say impossible) and more unreliable.
... which is exactly why I haven't done it and don't plan to.

My big power build is NOT going to be a Fiero.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I don't blame you at all for that. I think a 4th gen F-body is hard to beat for big power, and with enough money into the brakes/suspension can still be a very solid track car.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

You guys can buy R32 GTRs now, 25 years old. F body? Eww no thanks lol
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Moved off topic discussion to here: http://realfierotech.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... 16&start=0