arns dynos his 4.9 carb 4 spd

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Shaun41178(2)

arns dynos his 4.9 carb 4 spd

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

178 whp and 216tq

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2920/146 ... 6d7aa8.jpg

Numbers are on par with the freer flowing exh and the manual trans as well as the carb. You can notice his "huge low end tq" shifted upwards in the rpm band with the use of the carb. It will now be much slower off the line because of this.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Re: arns dynos his 4.9 carb 4 spd

Post by crzyone »

A N* isn't that much work to put in a fiero and it makes over 100 more whp. Why are guys still using 4.9s? I'm sure the price of a N* is probably on par with a 4.9, it's an old engine now as well. Most scrap yards don't even want them because they are aluminum. That's how I got mine actually.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I love how people are so quick to want to throw a carb on the 4.9 so they don't have to deal with fuel injection. Arn ditched the efi and put a carb on his 2.8 too so he is just an idiot in general. however, people don't want to do the northstar swap because of the expensive FI computer. DUH CHRFAB does make a carb intake manifold for it.

Seems simple enough. Carb intake on a nstar and pickup 100 hp with the nstar over the 4.9
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:I love how people are so quick to want to throw a carb on the 4.9 so they don't have to deal with fuel injection. Arn ditched the efi and put a carb on his 2.8 too so he is just an idiot in general. however, people don't want to do the northstar swap because of the expensive FI computer. DUH CHRFAB does make a carb intake manifold for it.

Seems simple enough. Carb intake on a nstar and pickup 100 hp with the nstar over the 4.9
Except that the Northstar doesn't have a distributor, so there's still a "fancy" electronic ignition controller to tune, the cost of buying the carb and manifold (not cheap!), etc.

His calculated engine power is basically what a stock 4.9 makes, so it's within reason... just not "fast".