Series inspired me, taking my turbo 3.4 to the track

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Re: Series inspired me, taking my turbo 3.4 to the track

Post by Aaron »

Finally siphoned the gas out, most of it anyway, and dropped the tank. Sure enough the short hose that bypasses the factory pulsator had become disconnected, probably from the jarring when I went from 400+ whp in 1st gear to 0 when I hit the limiter. I'm going to do my best to find a new sending unit, that way I'll fix the return line at the same time.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

While you're at it, figure out how to incorporate a pressure test fitting.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I was finally able to get a new sending unit so I spent a few hours getting that put in. In my infinite genius I tested the fuel level sensor before I put it in, and wouldn't you know it the resistance was not moving with the float. So I took it apart and cleaned it which did zero good. Then I decided maybe I was testing it wrong and surely it must work, plus I wanted to drive the car already, so I put it in and reinstalled everything. Shockingly, the fuel gauge doesn't work. I know, I should be doing rocket science.

For the time being I'll just use the trip. I have no idea how many miles I can expect per tank. So I guess I'll play with fire and aim for 300. I'm just full of brilliance today I know.

On boost the car still dives rich, but I've at least got it on the gauge now, it sits at around 11. I can feel the car struggling when it goes this rich. Hopefully in the next few days I can work on pulling even more fuel.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

25 mpg might be optimistic for a rich running boosted car that you drive hard. Don't 88s have an 12 gallon tank?
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

I burn about 10 gallons an hour at the track... ~7 mpg at Buttonwillow
fieroguru

Post by fieroguru »

I get about 10.2 to 10.4 usable gallons of fuel from my 88's w/o having any fuel starvation issues when I pull into the gas station.

I would refill at 150 miles, then raise it for the next tank.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:25 mpg might be optimistic for a rich running boosted car that you drive hard. Don't 88s have an 12 gallon tank?
Actually 25 is about what this car gets on average (Before I took it apart so that shouldn't change).

It only runs rich when I'm on boost and in power enrichment, which isn't very often but I'm working on tuning it anyway. Until I get the motivation to weld the old sensor on I'll just fill up at like 200.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Aaron wrote:
CincinnatiFiero wrote:25 mpg might be optimistic for a rich running boosted car that you drive hard. Don't 88s have an 12 gallon tank?
Actually 25 is about what this car gets on average (Before I took it apart so that shouldn't change).

It only runs rich when I'm on boost and in power enrichment, which isn't very often but I'm working on tuning it anyway. Until I get the motivation to weld the old sensor on I'll just fill up at like 200.
The Mule's gas gauge works, but I end up a little over 200 per fillup... low 20's on the highway when I'm not driving through traffic like Han Solo flying through the Death Star.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Should've gotten a V6! More power more mpg!
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

And lighter wei-- oops, not that one :wink:

Keep in mind that's also 80 mph cruise.

I really just need to spend some time on a cruise tune... and install a 6 speed. A set of 8 cylinders pumping at 2700 RPM has more frictional loss than a set of 6.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I haven't weighed my turbo 3.4, but it is a fatty. I'm not sure how much my turbo kit added, maybe 50? The headers, air filter pipe, charge piping, and the exhaust are actually pretty light (Lighter than their stock counterparts). But add the turbo, intercooler system, 2 additional quarts of oil capacity, and all of the other miscellaneous stuff and it certainly isn't light. Especially since the engine itself is a fatty.

But aside from the LS3 or 3.6 DI, there's still no engine I'd rather have.

On a side note, since putting everything back together my BOV sounds much different than it used to. I probably changed the way it was pointing, but that surprised me.

Last night I uploaded my 10th tune since the fuel pump change, and I'm still going rich past 5,000rpm. I have a tune from a guy who had a turbo Monte carlo, and was always amazed by how different our maps were. Now mine is getting really close to where his is. I thought about starting off of his, but he didn't touch his factory ECU for the big injectors, his piggyback does that. Plus my build is quite a bit more radical than his.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Aaron wrote:I haven't weighed my turbo 3.4, but it is a fatty. I'm not sure how much my turbo kit added, maybe 50? The headers, air filter pipe, charge piping, and the exhaust are actually pretty light (Lighter than their stock counterparts). But add the turbo, intercooler system, 2 additional quarts of oil capacity, and all of the other miscellaneous stuff and it certainly isn't light. Especially since the engine itself is a fatty.

But aside from the LS3 or 3.6 DI, there's still no engine I'd rather have.

On a side note, since putting everything back together my BOV sounds much different than it used to. I probably changed the way it was pointing, but that surprised me.

Last night I uploaded my 10th tune since the fuel pump change, and I'm still going rich past 5,000rpm. I have a tune from a guy who had a turbo Monte carlo, and was always amazed by how different our maps were. Now mine is getting really close to where his is. I thought about starting off of his, but he didn't touch his factory ECU for the big injectors, his piggyback does that. Plus my build is quite a bit more radical than his.
If you update your BPC v.s EGR table with the right injector to cylinder size relationship, then the VE tables should transfer right over, assuming that the piggyback (feh :bad: ) is modifying both MAF/MAP signal and injector pulses.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Honestly I have little idea what you're talking about, I'm not at all versed in tuning.

My factory ECU is chipped by Darth, to remove some stuff, account for the manual trans, and account for the 42.5 injectors. It runs very well without the piggyback doing anything. Once boost comes on the piggyback modifies the MAF signal to the ECU, thereby changing injector pulses.

The Monte Carlo I referenced had a turbo on an otherwise stock motor, also with 42.5# injectors. AFAIK, he did not touch the tune on the factory chip, he accounted for the injectors via the piggyback. So even off boost his maps are adjusting the MAF signal, whereas mine are not.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Put yet another tune on it, haven't had a chance to test it yet though. I'm sure it's still rich.

Got a new mirror glass on the way (The other fell off on the highway and broke haha).

Also found a pretty bad clutch line leak that's new. It's leaking from a compreason repair fitting I had used. Going to order a yor-lok compression fitting this week.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Quit loading tu es without knowing what they are doing. Get it on a dyno spend an hour tunin g it and be done.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

How's that for irony?

I know exactly what it's doing, just don't know by how much. Only one way to find out, and that's what I'm doing. So I adjust tune by tune, and see it slowly make progress. But too rich is ok, I can deal with that.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

[quote="Aaron"

I know exactly what it's doing, just don't know by how much.[/quote]

So you know that the engine runs, you just don't know how well? LOL nice
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

what ECM are you running? the TDC was offered with at least 3 ecms that I'm aware of.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I think it was only 3. I'm running the 94-95 SFI OBD1.5, I forgot the numbers on it though. Darth tuned a chip to enable the manual trans and 42.5# injectors, and I've got a Split Second FTC1 piggyback controlling fueling under boost.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Im interested in seeing a screen shot of the tune you just loaded