wheel shopping!

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

ericjon262

wheel shopping!

Post by ericjon262 »

I've been wheel shopping for a little while, and I was wondering if anyone had any brands they would recommend. I'm wanting to stay below $200 per rim, preferably around $150, but I also want a quality rim too. I've been looking at 17's and 18's, because I'm looking into a 13" brake upgrade. also, any width/offset recommendations?

Thanks-

Eric
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Shaun41178(2)

Re: wheel shopping!

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Are the new wheels gonna have to go on before you can start the engine? You know, because you want to do it right this time?

for rims I say get the xxr knockoffs of the ccw classics
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Shaun doesn't worry about petty things like wheels. Besides, who needs wheels when your car can be on jack stands for years right shaun?

What year is your car? Offsets changed for 88.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Just taking a page from your book aawrong.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

ericjon262 wrote:I've been wheel shopping for a little while, and I was wondering if anyone had any brands they would recommend. I'm wanting to stay below $200 per rim, preferably around $150, but I also want a quality rim too. I've been looking at 17's and 18's, because I'm looking into a 13" brake upgrade. also, any width/offset recommendations?

Thanks-

Eric
Tell us what year your car is (the offsets and clearances are different for 84-87 vs 88), what the intended use is (road course/drag race/street cruiser/show car), and what your tire budget is.

Also consider reading this thread: http://realfierotech.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... =3&t=17389
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Aaron wrote:Shaun doesn't worry about petty things like wheels. Besides, who needs wheels when your car can be on jack stands for years right shaun?

What year is your car? Offsets changed for 88.
I'm not worried about Shaun, his bark is way worse than his bite. My car is an '85, I plan to swap in an 88 rear cradle at some point, not sure when though.
Series8217 wrote:
Tell us what year your car is (the offsets and clearances are different for 84-87 vs 88), what the intended use is (road course/drag race/street cruiser/show car), and what your tire budget is.

Also consider reading this thread: http://realfierotech.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... =3&t=17389
Thanks for the link, looks like good reading.

as for car plans, I plan to drive the car, alot, with occasional trips to the dragstip/autoX/road course. as for tires, I hadn't really figured up a tire budget yet, probably around $150 a tire.

Thanks-

Eric
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

As far as quality, I have TSW's on one of mine for about 10 years now, and they are quite strong, they have hit many a pothole and always on rough / bad roads and are still round and true without any bends or dings. I payed a little extra for them as they are a little better brand than many of the wheel available but have been worth it.

Having said that, next time I drive it......
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

In that price range I would go for the XXRs.

Go here: http://www.nlmotoring.com/XXR-Wheels-s/32.htm

Choose a wheel style

On the left under bolt pattern click 5-100

For an 84-87 Fiero, try to find something like a 17x8 (35mm to 42mm) for the front, and 18x9 (42mm) or 18x8.5 (35mm) for the rear. That will give you the widest range of possible tire widths front and rear to match your weight distribution.

For an 88 Fiero the rear is the same but the front needs a higher offset.. look for a 17x7 (40mm) front or 17x8 (48mm) and watch for control arm clearance.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Thanks!

I'm trying to find a wheel similar to these:

Those are stock grand prix wheels, I feel like they would look great on a Fiero, the big downside is that they are 6.5" wide, and the wrong lug circle (5x115) I'm not sure of the offset either. anyone know of something similar? I thought about picking up a set and having them widened, but that won't fix shit if the offset isn't within spec.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I don't know the offset right off, but it's within reason for use on the Fiero... I'm running 16x8's from a first gen Grand Prix on the rear of The Mule with A-body hub carriers and bearings.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I'm going to see if I can find the offset measurements for them, and see about converting the rear to 5x115. should be able to use minivan knuckles and bearings, not sure how axles would work out. I'd want to have them widened, so I can fit some bigger meats on too, but that drives the cost per wheel way up as well.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Is all that really worth it just to get an OE-looking wheel?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Series8217 wrote:Is all that really worth it just to get an OE-looking wheel?
well, I really like that wheel, it's a more modern design, yet fits the Fiero very well looks wise IMO, I think it looks better than most aftermarket options. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet though. I'm going to do more research on brake setups, I want off the shelf rotors, so anything of reasonable size will require a bolt pattern change.

widening on the other hand... that's something that would cost bunches of money just for aesthetics, when other wheels just fit.