4g63 fiero on smoking tire

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Shaun41178(2)

4g63 fiero on smoking tire

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fkoEoeSvP_s

Havent watched it yet. Gonna do it now
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Re: 4g63 fiero on smoking tire

Post by crzyone »

Just watched it, car looks sketchy to drive but looks frigin fast in the straights.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Props to the owner for building an interesting car. That said, it looks intimidating, but I know for fact Jncomutt's car would blow the doors off of it around that track, it's rocket ship fast. Scott's and Justin's would too, but I don't know about their suspension for track use. Seem to remember Scott removed the trunk and rear brace, that would be much scarier than driving that black car around a track. So a typical case of "what a fast looking car".

Matt Farah bores me. Remind me of Jeremy Clarkson, fluffing everything he drives up for the camera. I want to see someone with a pair of balls get in that car and drive it for all it's worth.

Also... "700 hp capable car detuned for 450 hp". What in the hell does that even mean. This is the guy's drag car engine that once made 700HP but now only dyno's 450..? Or are you saying you have no clue what its making but it feels like 450? 250 whp missing and the car makes boost at 3.5k rpm. My non-sense meter rings true.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

At 3:10, if it were Jnco's 3800 he would be fighting to reach the shifter and his head would be pinned on the seat.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

he says the boost was turned down to 20 lbs. a 4g63 with a 68mm turbo on 20 lbs can make 450 hp. he said on 35 it was around 700 I think.

The owner prob had it dynoed on 20 lbs and knows what it makes on that which is why Matt made the statement. At the track the owner dialed the boost controller back to 20 lbs for matt. Of course thats my guess.

I wouldn't let someone drive my car at 700 hp if it was their first time. No way in hell. I would turn my boost controller down too. Most fiero owners have a hard time driving 200 hp cars. Shooot, Calidik drove off a roadcourse in his car with only 200 whp. That said, this car needs some tires if its going to be on a roadcourse.

It would be interesting to see this fiero and justins cars both on max tilt around a roadcourse with proper tires of course. From a roll with the mad max fiero on full tilt, it would beat Justins car, and give Scotts car a run
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

I think Justin's car would have no problem taking this car from a roll. "Full tilt".
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

This video came up in the Fiero Facebook group. I trolled based on Matt's comments about "all over the place on the brakes" and "slides when changing direction rapidly" as indicating that it was a crappy chassis. The owner/builder responded, saying that at the time of that video, the chassis was *VERY* unsorted and Matt had more seat time than he did. He said he's been dialing it in and it's much better than it was... still doesn't say much about how good it actually is.

Huge custom fender flares and not running 345's? Fail.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Justin car maxed out has gone 133 as a best and isn't making 700 hp. Most of his traps were high 120s to 130 before the twin disk swap. Justins turbo at 23 lbs doesn't support 700 hp. 700 hp cars that weigh 2300 lbs are gonna be trapping in the 140s.

From a roll it should be a closer match with Scotts car. From a dig I'd say both 3800 cars would take the victory

I'll look for the dyno of Justins car but it was around 500 wheel if I am not mistaken
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

That's the one. Thanks eric. Obviously the dyno is wrong. Justin isn't reving his engine to 8k rpm.

Justin claims he is on an hx35. Google shows it maxed at 60 lbs a minute. That's 600 hp tops from that turbo
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

he's ditched the holset ages ago, and it was a 351VE not an HX35, now he's running some kind of precision turbo.

Edit:

I just went back through his thread and don't see anything on the precision. but he was running a 351VE for sure.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

you are right. I thought he swapped over but his latest sig still says the he351. research shows that to be a 60mm comp wheel.

https://turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarre ... _flow_rate
What is my mass flow rate? As a very general rule, turbocharged gasoline engines will generate 9.5-10.5 horsepower (as measured at the flywheel) for each lb/min of airflow. So, an engine with a target peak horsepower of 400 Hp will require 36-44 lb/min of airflow to achieve that target. This is just a rough first approximation to help narrow the turbo selection options.

two diff comp wheel maps but both supposedly possible He351 comp wheels. Not sure which one Justin has. You can see actually both fall short of 60lb min. Its a maxed out turbo on 24 lbs on a 3800. Its worth about 550+/- crank hp which is inline with his 130mph trap speeds. Its math. Either way its fast for a fiero.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Props to the guy for putting a big horsepower motor in a Fiero AND taking it to the track. That said, the chassis performance looks horrendous. It needs a lot of work and he doesn't seem to be the one to do it. Lots to learn.

I haven't seen any videos of Jnco, Scott, or Justin's cars doing anything except driving in a straight line. Do they know how to do anything else? Are the cars set up to do anything else? Besides myself, the only other Fiero guy I see legitimately pushing stuff hard in the turns in a Fiero is Matt Howard (3800SC autocross Fiero, I forget how many WHP but he runs 11s in the 1/4).
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

justin autocrosses his car pretty regularly, I'm not really sure if he has done anything to improve the handling though.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

I legitimately pushed my car in the turns at a SCCA event once. And I probably won't ever do that again. It was horrific.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

what kills me about this, is all the praise this is getting on the other forum, when the guy probably made a login, and got booed away by all the haters and non-believers.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:Its math. Either way its fast for a fiero.
It is. Again, I'd like to see a 700 whp dyno through the Fiero chassis. He keeps saying "700 hp capable". Lots of cars are "capable". It doesn't appear to be that fast from the video I see. Paper racing vs GoPro footage.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

He said in the video that it was detuned to 400-450 for his drive.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

I know that, I'm going back to Shaun using "full tilt". I poorly worded that, it doesn't appear to be "fast" for a 450hp car. I have no problem believing it was making 450 during that video. Easy to do with a 4g. Also easy to do with the 3800.

It's "1205 HP capable!". Ok, thanks show host. Silly thing to say if you know anything about cars. It's something emotional to say to get your silly fan base hyped up. "OMG A 700 HP CAPABLE CAR!". :roll:

Anyway, I think I've made my point. I'm going on vacation through wine country. I've got my trusty wine tool in my pocket. Get that bridge crane up.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I gotcha now. Yeah, that's kind of annoying. "Capable" doesn't say anything about the car... just at best a sideways compliment to the engine builder.

Matt's a pussy. We all know this.
However, I can't say I'd blame him for not using WOT very much in a 450 WHP 2200# brand-ass new and completely unsorted track car. It's called the "Death Fiero" for a reason. :wink: :roll:

Bridge crane's coming along. Installing 60 tie plates with 12 screws each above a nearly 11' ceiling without being in the attic is a gigantonormous PITA.

CA wine country? Staying on the east coast?