The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

There are some high strength metric bolt outfits in this thread:
phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6195

Also check out www.mcmaster.com
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Unsafe At Any Speed wrote:Maybe we should have a thread with e85 conversion info.
I second that! Keep up the good work btw.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

Alright. As an update, I got the shocks, springs and cambers kits on finally. That was a bitch. I really need an alignment though. I can visually see how much the camber is off. Turning radius of an extended cab. :thumbleft:

But yeah, I need new brakes now too. So I ordered some rotors and pads up. They should hopefully be here tomorrow. In the meantime I finally got around to getting it registered. It took forever because I did the V at the same time and had to have it inspected first as well as fill out paperwork for MT plates. Only cost a little over $100 to register both cars and get personalized plates (I figured why not). For the Talon I went with CRNKWLK. :la:
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

CRNKWLK...That's awesome!!!

What did you get on the V?

88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I always wanted a GSX or TSi for a winter toy. I still have an article on getting 292 WHP for around $2000. But that was a 92 model.
Unsafe At Any Speed

I got UNDER5 on the V. I wish I would've got WHLHOP instead though, but I didn't think about it until a few days later. Would've gone well with CRNKWLK. Maybe next year (its only $25 extra).
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Under5? I don't get it :scratch:
Unsafe At Any Speed

Aaron

Post by Aaron »

That is a damn fine commercial!
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Nice! I got my own sticky. :thumbleft:

As for the V commercial. It is pretty sweet.

As for the Talon, just got word from my friend that the brakes came today. Hopefully I can get them on by tomorrow or Thursday. Based on past experience with this car though, it'll prolly be a month... :cussing:
Unsafe At Any Speed

Well I finally got the brakes done...almost. Of course something had to go wrong. I broke the bleeder off of the driver's side rear caliper. I'm going to just go ahead and try to pick up another. It sucks because I went ahead and painted them all ricer red during the job. So I'll have to repaint that one. Despite not being able to bleed them properly, I did take it out to break in the new rotors and pads. I still need an allignment bad and it's obvious. :blah5:

Anyway, my friend Lacey is out of town and it's her camera I usually use, so no decent pictures. However I did take a couple with the cell phone during the process.

Before:

New Rotors:

Painting:

Mounted back up:

I'll have to get one with a wheel back on, but the car is outside right now and it's too bright with the cell phone.

I was kind of afraid to go with red due to the rice factor (especially after I saw a Civic hatch with red front 8"? calipers and red rear drums in the Harbor Freight parking lot day before yesterday), but honestly I don't think they look too bad.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Red will look good with your body color, you can always go to another color if you don't like it.

Nice shiny new rotors :thumbleft:
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

I had red calipers on my White GT, and I thought it looked bad ass, I don't care what the civic boys do.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Well, I haven't really made a lot of progress. I went ahead and ordered SS lines since I was going to have to bleed the brakes again anyway. I got the front ones installed but am unsure as to how to get the old ones off of the brackets in the rear. Also, I haven't fixed the caliper yet either. In the meantime, I went ahead and cleaned up the engine compartment some by installing a non-cruise control throttle cable.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Finally got my plates yesterday. Shitty cell phone pic:
Unsafe At Any Speed

A better pic with an actual camera:

While the drop is pretty significant and I can't even get my low profile jack under the front of the car, there is still some clearance:

Found this guy wrenching on the Talon:
Unsafe At Any Speed

Re: Unsafe's Talon TSi! updates, parts and pics

Wow. I haven't updated this in a LONG time. I guess there really hasn't been much done since. I did finally take it to get an alignment the other day which ended up being quite a hassle. I had to find a place with a flat rack as the front mount wouldn't clear the other ones. Then it turns out my passenger side front lower balljoint was going bad, so I ended up just having the alignment shop order the part and fix it for me. It ended up costing me quite a bit for everything, but they were pretty cool and cut me a break.

Also, since I was going to buy a bunch of fluid for the V, I decided it was time to change out all the Talon fluids as well with Amsoil.

Other than that, I still need to figure out what's up with my taillights not working. After that, I'll try to get all the gauges I bought wired up, get the car running right (has a couple issues) and keep going on the 'mods.' Still just minor stuff for now like finish removing the a/c, relocate the battery, get rid of the emissions crap and some other misc gutting.

I want to get the safety aspect of things squared away before making much more power, once I have some money to spend on this car, next up will be the cage, seats, and harnesses. I already have the seats (thanks emc!), so those might actually make it in there sooner rather than later.

Fieromadman is definitely a ways ahead of me with his GSX. :)
Unsafe At Any Speed

Alright, the direction I'm taking with this car has changed from when I first purchased it. Originally, I had planned to build a drag car, but I decided I like to turn. :) That said, I'll be doing HPDE events this summer in my V and start setting up the Talon for Time Trials with a hopeful transition into wheel to wheel racing (NASA Performance Touring is what I'm thinking right now). So anyway, now that it's starting to warm up here (maybe. We got over a foot of snow last week), it's time to get to work.
What kind of sucks is that I would've gone in a different direction with the brakes and suspension. Oh well, I guess I'll just run the Eibachs and Illuminas for now. The brakes will need to be changed (those eBay cross drilled rotors won't last :) ). That said, I think I want to go with Evo brakes (same front calipers as my V). The rears are a direct bolt on for the DSM. The fronts however require the use of JDM (mad tyte yo!) Galant knuckles. With these, the Evo calipers bolt right up though. So yeah, having held both calipers in hand at one time or another, the Evo ones are certainly lighter, so that's an added plus. Also, as per both TT and PT classing rules, non stock calipers are only a two point penalty with rotors being 'free.' I'm not in a big hurry to move up too high in class. :)
So yeah, the short term plan (the safety stuff is expensive) is this:
-Fix the damn taillights (I hate electrical crap)
-Finish emissions/AC removal
-Get all the gauges I have wired up (Prosport just came out with a matching Wideband set-up)
-Misc maintenance things
-Install the rest of the bushings I already have and engine mounts (I'm thinking solid front/rear for sure. Thoughts on side mounts in regards to handling improvement?)
-Get DSMLink up and running and the car tuned for what i have now. Need to pick up a cheap laptop which considering I've seen brand new ones going for under $400, I wouldn't think this should be too hard
-Cage (after reading the rules, I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger a few months back on the S&W cage I was looking at)
-Seats, harness
-Brakes

After that, I want to focus on cooling. The way I see it, the four essential things before i start tracking this car is to be up on maintenance (as reliable as a DSM can be :) ), safety, cooling and brakes. Like I said, I don't want to move up any higher than NASA TTC (base class is TTE) for awhile. If anyone is interested, I can link/post up what type of mods are worth what point-wise.

Anyway, like I said, I'll try to start getting some actual updates (with pics!) in this thread. I figure since I have a sticky it should actually have some content to it. Also, I realize between my three build threads on here, I end up with the typical Fiero-owner 'more talk than actual progress.' I'll try to work on that as well. :)
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

I was getting nervous as I was reading about how you wanted to build a track car but didn't mention cooling until the very end. Cooling will be extremely important. A big oil cooler and heavy duty rad will be a must. Especially with a DSM, lol.

I don't know how good your welding skills are, but you might want to considered welding up seams and pinches to increase chassis rigidity.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
Unsafe At Any Speed

Yeah, they suck pretty much. I've only welded a couple things before. I have thought about the seam welding (no points assessed there either), thanks for the suggestion.

My step-dad (might as well be my real dad as he's a badass...) is pretty good though. Maybe I should bring him down and get him to work. The stroke he had makes somethings kinda hard for him though.

But yeah, I'm definitely concerned with cooling, especially with a front mount blocking the path to the radiator. I actually spent a good chunk of time reading over threads on the DSM forums regarding radiators, fans, coolers, etc. The problem is that most are set-up for street or drag use where it's not AS big of a demand.