Unsafe's Talon TSI updates, parts and pics

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

Unsafe At Any Speed

Re: Unsafe's Talon TSi! updates, parts and pics

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

Obviously, there's not much room to work with without going up another class. I'm really not sure where I sit weight-wise, but up to 250 lbs of ballast can be added to the car with no penalty. I figure I just keep stripping out unneeded weight and just add it back low on the car if needed.

Current Planned Mod Points:

Tires:
Looking at this, I'm probably going to be forced to go up another class if I want to run a decent tire.

Weight Reduction:
Keep pulling stuff out. I'll need to get rid of the sunroof glass as per rules anyway, so that will help. Also, a carbon hatch with lexan would be nice but expensive.

Engine/Drivetrain:
If I can stay in PTD, I shouldn't need to make much more power. Boost controller is 4 points.

Suspension/Brakes/Chassis:
24) Non-OEM brake calipers +2

Aerodynamics:
No big plans here right now.

Roll Cages:
Only points penalties are from going ahead of the front firewall or one or more bars that are welded to the chassis (directly or with a plate) anywhere farther than 6” from the end of a tube where it terminates at a plate. I don't plan on either

No Points Modifications:
3) Sun/moonroof removal and cover roof hole.
4) Battery replacement/lightweight battery/dry cell
5) Air bag removal (must be removed or disabled)
13) Radiator upgrade/shrouding/fascia modification (drilled or cut holes/slots) that only provides
increased airflow to the radiator or oil/transmission coolers (without aerodynamic or engine
air intake improvement)
15) Alternator replacement (must be able to sustain vehicle operation without a battery)
16) Oil systems and coolers other than added dry sump
17) Motor mounts and inserts replacement/upgrade or modification (with up to 1 inch of
relocation of the motor/transmission)
20) Spark plug wires, plugs, coil, ignition replacement/upgrade
22) Removal of the engine balance shaft and/or balance shaft drive mechanism
23) Lightweight flywheel and/or clutch assembly
30) Steering wheel replacement
32) Gear shifters and shift knob replacement/upgrade
33) Seat harnesses (must be compliant with NASA CCR)
34) Maximum of two hundred and fifty (250) lbs. of added ballast—All ballast must be of solid
material (no fluids or shot pellets) and safely secured in any location on the vehicle approved
by NASA safety technical inspectors. The preferred method is to use at least one (1)
3/8-inch grade-5 bolt, two (2) “fender” washers and a locking nut system for every
fifteen (15) pounds of weight.
36) Non-OEM driver’s seat
37) Non-OEM front passenger seat
38) Relocated Battery
39) Undertray/ belly pan forward of the centerline of the front axle
41) Seam welding of the body/chassis
44) Accelerator, brake, and clutch pedal modification or replacement.
46) Add front strut tower bar (two attachment points—bolted in or as component of the cage)
48) Lexan windshield, rear window, and rear passenger side windows (windshield must be 3/16”
minimum thickness). (See section 7 Safety regarding front side windows)
49) OEM ECU/PCM reprogramming or chip (must use OEM ECU/PCM box/housing/hardware) *I'm hoping DSMLink falls into this category as you still use all the OEM stuff
51) Non- OEM sensors or alteration of sensor inputs (such as non-programmable MAF or MAP
voltage “clamps”)
54) Ignition timing adjustments
Unsafe At Any Speed

Reading over everything again, it looks like tire choice is going to be a tough decision. Instead of trying to explain, I'll go ahead and copy paste:
DOT-approved R-compound tires with a UTQG treadwear rating of 40 or less (ex. BFG R1,
Hankook Z214, Hoosier R6/A6, Kumho V710, etc.--note: G.A.C.& VRL Hoosiers OK) +10
2) DOT-approved R-compound tires with a UTQG treadwear rating of 50 to 130 (ex. Kumho
V700, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup, Nitto NT01, Pirelli PZero Corsa, Toyo R888,
Yokahama A048, etc.—note: see exception below in 3)) +7
3) Toyo RA-1 and Nitto NT555RII +5
4) Non-DOT-approved racing slicks +30 (of any origin--re-caps and re-treads are not permitted)
5) The following tire sizes will be used as the base tire size for each Base Class for all
vehicles regardless of their OEM tire size(s). All vehicles in a given base class may use
this tire size (or smaller) without a points assessment:
PTA: 295 mm, PTB: 265mm, PTC: 255mm, PTD: 245mm, PTE: 235mm,
PTF: 215mm, PTG: 195mm, PTH: 175mm
Increased tire width beyond that listed above (using the largest increase of front or rear if
using split sizes) will be assessed as follows:
Equal to or greater than: 10mm +1, 20mm +4, 30mm +7, 40mm +10, 50mm +13, 60mm +16,
70mm +19, 80mm +22, 90mm +25, 100mm +28, 110mm +31, 120mm +34, etc.
Tire width is determined by the number printed on the tire sidewall by the manufacturer.
If a tire does not have a manufacturer’s printed number on the sidewall, then actual tread
width measurement will be used. Drivers choosing to use tires narrower than the size
listed for their base class may get credited back points by reversing the assessments listed
above using the smaller decrease of front or rear for cars using split sizes (i.e. -1 for 10mm
smaller, -4 for 20mm smaller, -7 for 30mm smaller, etc.)
Based on that, the stock size tires on my car give me back 7 points. So I could run R comps in the stock size and break even on points.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Alright, this post is going to be mainly for me so I can keep track of what I need to buy. My computer has been messing up a lot lately, so I don't want to type it up on here. For my maintenance/cooling/bushings, I need/want to pick up the following as I think it would probably be best to do it all together:

Cooling:
New Waterpump - OEM - $130 - http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ ... atalogid=0
Non-OEM - $28-60 - http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php
New 180 degree thermostat - $15.60 - http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php
New Radiator Hoses - Mishimoto - $81 - http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/Mish ... e.com.html
Samco - $71 - http://andperformance.rpmware.com/samco ... 31560.aspx
Water Wetter- $10x2 - http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/Redl ... e.com.html

'Belts':
Timing belt kit-
Balance shaft removal kit-
Alternator relocation kit - $150 - http://www.jayracing.com/index.php?main ... ucts_id=10
Saturn alternator-
Saturn alt pigtail - $15 - http://www.jayracing.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=208

Shifter:
B&M short shifter eBay knockoff - $34 - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-96-97 ... ccessories
Shifter cable bearings - $6 - http://www.jayracing.com/index.php?main ... ucts_id=36
Shifter base bushings - $25 - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ECLIPSE- ... ccessories

Misc:
Remote oil pressure sender kit -
Exhaust Manifold Gasket -
Turbo to manifold gasket -
Manifold studs - $87 - http://www.extremepsi.com/store/custome ... 864&page=1
Turbo bolts - $33 - http://www.extremepsi.com/store/custome ... 864&page=1
O2 Housing bolts - $15 - http://www.ffwdconnection.com/boltkits.shtml
Unsafe At Any Speed

Wow. Apparently mental math ownz me. A few posts back, I added up to 33 points instead of 23. Corrected and relieved. A lot more room to work with. :)
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Just curious and I don't feel like googling. Why the saturn alt?
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
Unsafe At Any Speed

They're quite a bit cheaper, they put out more amps and seem to be more dependable. I figure if I'm going to relocate, I might as well to do the upgrade.

As for the relocation, it will move the alternator from the front side of the block to the rear. Away from the turbo, which will cut down on the heat it has to put up with and free up room around the turbo. Not to mention it cleans up the engine bay. :)
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

You can walk into Pep Boys and buy that Water Wetter for under $10, no shipping. I prefer Purple Ice though, which is like $11.99. Pep Boys has it on clearance for $9.90 if your store still has it.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Yeah, no Pep Boys here. Thanks for the heads up though.

As for updates... I've been really bad about taking pictures lately, so none of those. I got the rear Evo Brembos in the mail (that guy's definition of 'with pads' is different than mine, but oh well). So I still need rotors, the Galant knuckles and figure out which pads I want to run. In the meantime, I'm going to repaint the calipers.

I also went ahead and ripped out most of the rest of the interior with the exception of the dash and seats. I still have the driver's door panel on for now until I can find some donor doors with manual windows. Otherwise I can't open them. :) I also pulled the AC condenser and a few lines. Compressor is the big thing left of that system. Also pulled the charcoal canister and related vacuum lines. I couldn't remember where I had put the EGR blockoff plate I have, so haven't gotten to that yet.

But yeah, while working on some of that I noticed I forgot the lower washer things on the struts. Dumbass. So I went about pulling those bitches back out again. That's when rust reered up again. The allen head part was rusted out on the sway bar end links. So I went ahead and cut them off. Oh well I guess I probably needed new ones anyway... So yeah, I was working on that in the driveway when it started to rain. Plus I have to go to the field for the whole week. So I guess it'll have to stay sitting on jack stands until I get back.

Once I can drive it again, I'm going to try to get it weighed to see where I sit now.
Unsafe At Any Speed

I believe I mentioned earlier that I Seafoamed it a while back. It was too windy for much of a smoke show, but I managed these pics and video:
Unsafe At Any Speed

Gutted:
Unsafe At Any Speed

These are waiting on the cage and harnesses to go in:

I also went ahead and finally installed some hood Sparco hood pins. I removed the two center rubber stoppers and used those holes for the pins. I masked off the underside of the hood, put some paint on the pins and marked the hood that way. Then I went to work drilling holes into a $400ish hood. I also removed the stock latch. This way I can cover the big hole where it was to help airflow through the radiator.

I'm waiting on new end links, poly sway bar bushings and a few bolts before I the front suspension back together.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Doesn't look like you have much sound deadening to remove, nice. I need my car back so I can gut it too!... Nice seats, are they FIA approved? Solid mounting them?

Since you are going with a cage and fixed back racing seats I imagine you are building the car by a certain set of safety rules?
CincinnatiFiero

That charge pipe seems to beat pretty far around the bush, are all DSM FMIC's like that?

Has that car ever been hit? The core support and stickers makes it looks it may have been.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Not sure what stickers you mean, but yeah I'm guessing it was hit at one time considering the original paint of the front end is red, not teal.

Some more parts on the way:
Prothane Front Sway Bar Bushings $12.15
Prothane Rear Sway Bar Bushings $12.15
Balance Shaft Eliminator Kit $42.00
SS Exhaust Manifold Stud Kit $50.00
ARP DSM Turbo Bolts and Washers $40.00
SS Valve Cover Bolt Kit $18.00
Water Pump Bolt Kit $8.00
Hussey Copper Exhaust Gasket $27.00
Mitsubishi Oil Return Gasket $3.00
O2 Gasket 2G/Evo III $8.00
Valve Cover Gasket Set $39.00
SS Turbo Gasket $11.00
Mitsubishi Sway Bar Bolts $3.12
Sway Bar Endlinks $28.60
Misc Shipping $15.00
CincinnatiFiero

The sticker on the core support looks like its been masked around is what I was referring to.

How much HP are you shooting for? I would assume not TOO much, like 300?
Unsafe At Any Speed

Actually not even that much. For the class I plan to run I can only have about 14/1 weight to power ratio (exact figure is earlier in this thread). So I don't really need THAT much more than stock.

So I had the autoparts store order some new endlinks...They're WAY too short. As in about half the length of the stock links. :-o
I really don't want to order OEM considering they're about $70 a side whereas aftermarket are around $15-25.

I'm debating pulling all the heater crap while I'm at it. Only thing is I'm considering whether or not I might have to deal with fogged up windows at all in which case the defroster would be nice to retain. On the other hand, all that stuff weighs around 20 lbs I hear. Also, the less stuff in the car to get in the way, the better. Also considering removing the parking brake. Other than brake failure, I don't really see much need for it. You never want to use it at the track anyway (unless you want to weld them to your rotors. :crazy: )
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

the parking brake doesn't work properly on my fiero. It doesn't fully release at the caliper. sometimes I wish it did when parking on hills. Basically I can't park on any hills so I think it would be nice to have. I would leave it. its just a cable or two, they don't weigh much.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

I took out my Fieros e-brake. I'll park on hills all day long, I just make sure I get really close to the curb (as in touching), and turn the wheels. Basically I let it roll into the curb, and lock itself there.
Unsafe At Any Speed

As for the ebrake, I figure not much weight would be lost, but it would be nice to free up a little more clutter. Without the center console in there, the ebrake lever looks huge and ridiculous. I really don't see much need for it anyway, but I'll keep it for now I guess. (not to hard to get rid of when/if I change my mind).

As for the heat, I'm leaning more towards pulling that shit out. Especially when I was looking at the back side of the engine for a few future projects and saw those lines in the way... :) Not to mention, the fewer electrical wires in the car the better.
Unsafe At Any Speed

I found a used set of all four Baer two-piece rotors for sale. Supposedly they only have 3000 miles on them. No price set and I'm really not sure what to offer...