Unsafe's Talon TSI updates, parts and pics

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Re: Unsafe's Talon TSi! updates, parts and pics

Post by AkursedX »

Have you thought about a body kit front end? I'm sure there are other kits that have better airflow to the front.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

Yeah, I've thought about swapping out the front end. The 97+ eclipse front end would allow the potential for more airflow for sure:

And like you mentioned, some of the tons of aftermarket fascias have big mouths. Quick google result:
Unsafe At Any Speed

Here's a cut Eclipse bumper I found:
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

That bumper is still just giving air to the intercooler with such a giant front mount, and if you had a small intercooler, the cut bumper is going to look stupid, but function over form I guess.

What about a heat extractor hood?

S15 headlights on a 2g are kind of hot, do that haha.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Unsafe At Any Speed wrote:Here's a cut Eclipse bumper I found:
Best I've ever seen. I like it, sorta looks like the new Evo's.
CincinnatiFiero wrote: What about a heat extractor hood?
Great idea! A few purposes too. First, less weight if you get an aftermarket CF one. Second, better cooling. Lastly, it will help aerodynamics (More of teh downforce). The only downside is cost, ricey appearance, and they may bump your class.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
CincinnatiFiero

Glassing in one (or welding or whatever) into a stock hood like that silver car should not bump him a class since its not CF and it wouldn't be terribly pricey. It would get him downforce and heat extraction.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Yeah, the hood wouldn't make any classing changes. I already have a CF hood anyway. It's kind of funny that I want to keep the car looking fairly stock exterior-wise (the 2gb Talon bodystyle is rare), but I might have to end up ricing out the car a little bit out of necessity. Somewhat ironic considering.

As a general rule I noticed in reading over the rules, are that mods done to improve cooling and safety are generally not penalized.
CincinnatiFiero

2.4L stroker will help you get out of peoples way, thats good and safe. Can we argue that?

The talon was the best looking IMO, but the front bumper was mostly what set it apart, the little wing closer to the window is cool too, but I am assuming you'll dump it for an adjustable.
Unsafe At Any Speed

The spoiler I have is the high 'boomerang' one. As for an aftermarket wing, that's a huge point penalty. Something like 9 points (I'd have to check the rules).

Looks like I've found some front Evo calipers for $260 shipped (assuming the sale doesn't fall through). Seems like a decent deal to me. I would like to pick up the rears for under $200. I bought this car to go fast for cheap, so I'm going to keep things under budget without cutting too many corners (read: used parts :) ). The hard part for this brake set-up is trying to find the '99 JDM Galant knuckles I need. Anybody have any friends in Japan? :)
Unsafe At Any Speed

Damn, I don't have shit for pictures of this car. I'll have to get some more. Anyway, not my car, but this is the wing my car has:
Unsafe At Any Speed

I was looking around for Evo rotors and found these Baer two-piece rotors:

Source: http://www.machevo.com/baertwro.html

At 'only' $585 for the fronts and $525 for the rears when most 1 piece pairs seems to be in the $300 range, this seems like a pretty good deal. I found that the stock rotors weigh about 21 lbs while these supposedly are only 16.0 and 11.7, front and rear.

My front Brembos and used pads should be on the way tomorrow. I'm looking to pay $200 max for the rears with stock pads. I'll use the stock pads on the street and pickup some race pads for the track (check out my CTS-V thread to see how easy these calipers are to change pads on).
Unsafe At Any Speed

Well, I have some more cool parts on the way (really lame pun intended). I went ahead and ordered a new Mishimoto radiator, upgraded fans and shroud.

Here's what they look like. I'll get actual pictures once I get them:
http://www.mishimoto.com/mitsubishi-ecl ... t-95t.html
http://www.mishimoto.com/mitsubishi-ecl ... turbo.html

Since I plan to keep track of the budget a lot better on this build... $344 shipped.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Front calipers just came in. Could use a little cleaning up, but I'll just go ahead and repaint once I get the rears.
Unsafe At Any Speed

I found these pictures comparing the stock AWD 2 pot calipers to the Brembos.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Nice calipers! I'm debating wether to upgrade mine or not... the stock GTR fronts are 4 pot calipers which are fine. I think I only want to use a larger rotor and an adapter for my current calipers. Use 2 piece R33 or R34 brembo rotors and my R32 calipers.

Your DSM will be pretty badass when you are done.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Probably have some pretty sweet aftermarket set-ups available for the GTR if you ever decide to splurge right?

Has anyone ever bought anything from autoanything.com? Reliable site? Their prices on the Baer two-piece rotors are pretty low. $495/$425 a pair (front/rear) with free shipping even. That's not much more than stock Evo replacements. Only thing is, I'll have to call and see if they sell them as just slotted. The autoanything site shows them with a stock photo and description as being crossdrilled as well. Mach V has an actual product picture and they're just slotted (which is what I want).

Also, I have a 25% off coupon from tispeed (gave them a track picture and feedback of the V), so I'll have to pick up some Ti shims as well.

Rotor link: http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/77A3943A3074261.aspx
http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/77A3 ... 0423bb4e79
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Tons of brake options for a GTR, but everything is ridiculously expensive. Did the 12" vette brakes on all 4 corners on my fiero including brand new calipers for under a grand. To upgrade a GTR with anything good will be $4k-6k, or hell, there are $10k brake kits for my car....
Unsafe At Any Speed

Yeah, I figured that might be the case. Some of those kits can get ridiculous. I was searching the other day for aftermarket Evo set-ups and came across some 12 piston calipers. I mean, seriously?
CincinnatiFiero

Unsafe At Any Speed wrote:Yeah, I figured that might be the case. Some of those kits can get ridiculous. I was searching the other day for aftermarket Evo set-ups and came across some 12 piston calipers. I mean, seriously?
Had to google that

Wow my single piston camaro calipers are such weaksauce.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Sexy!

I figured I should put together a list to keep track of my mods and classing for NASA's Performance Touring. Where I sit now:

Base Class: Eagle Talon Turbo AWD ('95-'98) PTE* 3153 lbs

* +7 points (that one hurts)
Forced Induction +5
+12 Total

Tires:
+0 Total

Weight Reduction:
I'll have to get my car weighed. Points are assessed based on the difference between the base classing weight (the 3153 lbs above) and competition weight WITH driver and safety gear.
+? Total

Engine/Drivetrain:
13) Modification of the OEM air intake/box, air filter location, air piping to the turbo/
supercharger/intercooler/throttle body/carburetor, or hood/fascia/fender air inlet(s) +1
18) Non-OEM or modified intercooler +4
27) Non-OEM or modified exhaust piping, resonators, or mufflers downstream from the OEM
catalytic converter(s) locations(s) +1
+6 Total

Suspension/Brakes/Chassis:
3) Non-OEM or modified/re-valved shocks/struts/dampers +3
4) Non-OEM or modified coil springs, leaf springs/spacers/brackets, or torsion bars +2
+5 Total

Aerodynamics:
+0 Total

Roll Cages:
+0 Total

No Points Modifications:
6) Jack and spare tire removal (required)
7) Floor mat removal (required)
10) Simple camber, caster, and toe adjustment by any method that does not alter suspension
mounting points (unless the modification used is otherwise assessed points above). Bolt on
camber/caster plates are not assessed points.
11) Ride height adjustment (must still take points for springs and torsion bars above)
12) Air filter upgrade (without modification of the air filter housing or air intake system)
21) Turbo blow-off valve upgrade, modification, or addition
26) Non OEM brake pads and rotors
27) Brake lines, brake boosters, and master cylinder modification or replacement.
29) Non-metallic replacement suspension bushings
47) Add rear strut tower bar (two attachment points—bolted in or as a component of the cage)
57) Headlamps, headlight covers, and fog lights may all be removed, and the holes may be
covered with material that replicates the shape of the OEM light/cover, leaving the shape of
the OEM fascia intact. Uncovered holes may be used for brake ducts. Any hole providing
improved intake air to the engine will be assessed one (1) point under Engine 13).

+23 Grand Total
20 thru 39 points - Up ONE Class

PTD minimum “Adjusted” weight/power ratio- 14.25:1
Weight/Power Adjustment: Competition Weight with Driver/Chassis Dyno
AWD = -0.5
Competion Weight= (there's a chart)
Last edited by Unsafe At Any Speed on Wed May 06, 2009 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.