Unsafe's Talon TSI updates, parts and pics

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

Unsafe At Any Speed

Re: Unsafe's Talon TSi! updates, parts and pics

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

Well, I got in the mood to rip shit apart which is not generally a good thing since putting things back together is the hard part. :crazy:

So yeah, I made my decision on the heat question. My entire dash is currently laying on my garage floor. I never realized how much shit there is to the HVAC system. Pretty much the entire area under the dash is filled with that stuff. But yeah, considering it's almost 3 AM and I have work tomorrow, I should probably go to bed. :roll:
Unsafe At Any Speed

Well, I finished pulling all of the HVAC stuff out from under the dash. I took some pictures, but the card reader on my laptop is having issues. All of the HVAC crap weighed just under 30 lbs. The airbags and module weigh 18 lbs. Plus more sound deadening and some a bunch of bolts, brackets and stuff that didn't go back on the car, I easy dropped over 50 lbs. Not to mention way more room to work behind the dash for running wires and that type of thing.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Dash out of the car:

Thirty pounds of HVAC goodness:
(what was Pontiac thinking with that wheel design...)

Everything removed:

And the dash back in:

Here's the airbags and some more insulation:
Unsafe At Any Speed

Trying to maximize the exhaust since I'm taking points for it anyway. I picked up a ported Evo III O2 housing for $45 shipped.
This but ported as well:
http://www.dsmparts.com/customer/produc ... oductid=88
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Maxim fan, nice.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Yeah, I got some deal on Maxim, Men's Health, Men's Fitness, Car and Driver and Motortrend for like $30 or something.

Being that the Evo housing has a little bit different of an angle than the stock 2G, I was looking at this downpipe from RRE that takes this into account:
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclexhaust.htm
Unsafe At Any Speed

Since I had the sway bar out anyway, I decided to rice it up a bit:

Here's one of the new poly bushings:

I also went ahead and picked up a stock SMIC for $30. I'm hoping that it will suffice for my application. Frees up 4 points and allows more airflow to the radiator. I'm cleaning it up now.

Here's the Mishimoto radiator, shroud and fans mounted up waiting to go into the car:

Also finished up removing the EGR and vacuum lines.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Well, I just got back from the truck scales. I'm not sure if this slip is right or not. For one, it has three weights where I was only on two 'parts' of the scale: 260, 1800, and 1100 lbs. Could the 2900 lbs be my weight? This is with full tank of gas and nobody in the car.
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

Do you weigh 260? Was there someone on that part of the scale? lol
*SOLD* 95 3.4 DOHC- 96-97 p&p lower intake, custom upper intake, custom cams, ported exh manis, 180* t-stat.
T-62 Turbonetics T3/T4, air-liquid intercooled, Synapse 40mm, Greddy RS, Haltech E6K.
1987 GT, lowered, KYB's, clutchnet 6 puck, G/A brakes
Unsafe At Any Speed

I'm guessing the scale wasn't zeroed out. I COULD weigh 260. Only 100 lbs to gain. :)
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

When you're worried about weighing 26, 52, or 80 thousand pounds, 260 is an acceptable margin for error. %)
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

All the drag strips here have car scales on your way back from your run to the "pit" areas and they measure down to the ones place. See if one of your local strips has one. WAY more accurate than a truck scale.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Yeah, we don't have a strip around here which sucks. I did pass a scrap metal place on the way back that's near my house. I might try there.
Unsafe At Any Speed

I was doing some research trying to find whether or not there is any aerodynamic benefit to the stock wing and found the drag coefficient of 2gs to be .30 which isn't too bad at all. Anyway, I couldn't find any information in regards to the wing. I may ditch it to lose some free weight.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Nice, stock GTRs have a .40 CD. The front end designed to scoop as much air as possible, the stock front mount is huge.

I think you should keep the front mount. They are a huge upgrade over a factory smic. The rad will get plenty of airflow still. My car had a huge front mount, then a large A/C condensor and then the rad stuffed in the back and it still got enough airflow.

This Monday I'll be ripping out my dash as well to take out the heater and A/C cores :good:
Unsafe At Any Speed

Yeah, what's weird though is the CTS-V apparently only has a drag coefficient of .31; go figure.

As for the FMIC, I would keep it if it weren't for the relatively big 4 point assessment that comes along with it. Good luck on the HVAC removal. Somehow I must've disconnected some wires I shouldn't've as my passenger window won't roll up and there's issues with the gauges. Oops...
Unsafe At Any Speed

Re: Unsafe's Talon TSI updates, parts and pics

If the lack of updates wasn't enough of an indication, this project fizzled out. I had quite a few things go badly in my personal life that distracted me from this. That and dealing with all the rust, etc. this car had demotivated me. I ended up getting rid of the shell. That said, I did keep pretty much all of the aftermarket parts and extra stock parts I had left over. They're currently all in storage with the rest of my household goods. I've been thinking about trying to find a clean (little to no rust), near stock 2G DSM when I get back. From some casual browsing, it looks like finding such a car may still be possible. Then I could slowly throw all these parts I have on the car and have some fun with it.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Sounds like you need to find a home for your household goods before tinkering with old cars. Priorities man, no one thinks the less of you.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Emc209i wrote:Sounds like you need to find a home for your household goods before tinkering with old cars. Priorities man, no one thinks the less of you.
Ha! Yeah, being homeless isn't the best plan. I do plan to get the housing situation squared away first though (actually want to buy a house, but that remains to be seen). My stuff is only in storage to save money while I'm in Afghanistan. When the only bills are storage bills (household goods, cars) and a little bit for insurance, it adds up.