fieromadman's Eclipse GSX updates, parts and pics

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

fieromadman

fieromadman's Eclipse GSX updates, parts and pics

Post by fieromadman »

Well I finally broke down and bought a decent daily driver. It's a 1995 GSX with some mods. Cosmetically it's got the 99 front bumper and side skirt conversion with the 99 GSX wheels. Mechanically it's got a decent list going:

1991 JDM Galant VR4 6-bolt engine
Stock 14b turbo (slightly bigger than a stock 2G turbo)
Upgraded O2 housing
3 inch turbo back exhaust
No cat
LS1 MAF
MAF Translator
DSM Link
Nice MBC (Set at 20 PSI)
HKS SSQV
Spec Stage 4 with sprung hub
Aeromotive fully adj. fuel reg.
Walbro in tank 255lph
Magnecor wires
Upgraded Intercooler and intake piping

Bought the car from a local guy. Car ran a 13.4 in the quarter mile, I have heard this from several friends and a few strangers. It really needs some tuning and larger injectors. As it sits I really dont bother to get on it too much because the injector size issue. However the car does get up and move nicely. The two step off the line and AWD is fun as hell, but I dont like replacing trannies, so I'm going to have to resist that ALOT!

My plans for the car are to get some larger injectors, fix some minor issues wrong with it, slap on a FMIC, 16 or 18g turbo and get it tuned. I will have some pics for you guys soon. Car is clean though, especially for a midwest car!
*SOLD* 95 3.4 DOHC- 96-97 p&p lower intake, custom upper intake, custom cams, ported exh manis, 180* t-stat.
T-62 Turbonetics T3/T4, air-liquid intercooled, Synapse 40mm, Greddy RS, Haltech E6K.
1987 GT, lowered, KYB's, clutchnet 6 puck, G/A brakes
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Nice mang. Yea post up some pics when you can.

I think a 20g would be a better option. Capable of up to 450 hp. Not sure if its a straight bolt on though on the first gen manifolds and downpipes, but I am sure you can easily buy all the stuff to make it so.
Nashco

Post by Nashco »

It's already got the fuel pump, if you're doing injectors you should size them so they can flow enough for E85. :thumbleft:

Bryce
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Shaun41178(2) wrote: I think a 20g would be a better option. Capable of up to 450 hp. Not sure if its a straight bolt on though on the first gen manifolds and downpipes, but I am sure you can easily buy all the stuff to make it so.
I think a T76 would be a better option. Capable of up to 930hp.

Shaun, it isn't all about how much power it can support, as the Supras have well demonstrated.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

lets see some pics of that beast. I would leave it as is IMO, throw the T76 on the 3.4dohc. You've got a fast ass DD, I wouldn't mess with it too much, put a nice stereo in it and charge up the a/c and call it a day.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

That's my point Cincinnati, it'd take a shitton of work to make a T76 even remotely usable.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

Yeah there is a guy that I work with that has an 18g on a VR4 running on e85. I woudn't mind going that route. I like my fast spool right now though, so 20g would take some of that away. 18g is a good compromise.

I really want a nice system in this car too, nothing over the top, but just clean sounding. It doesn't have A/C though, and thats a dissapointment for a black daily driver. Thinking about trying to find out what it would take to put it back in the car.

Anyhow, pics on thurs. I am busy untill then...
*SOLD* 95 3.4 DOHC- 96-97 p&p lower intake, custom upper intake, custom cams, ported exh manis, 180* t-stat.
T-62 Turbonetics T3/T4, air-liquid intercooled, Synapse 40mm, Greddy RS, Haltech E6K.
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

Well be a little while since I had an update. Still working on getting pictures. The car has already come a little ways since I got it. I mounted the coilpacks because the previous owner just had them flopping around in the engine bay. That was pretty easy.

Then I went to replace both the serpentine belts because I had an intense belt squeel when the engine was cold and found the accessory belt and W/P pulley rubbing on the timing belt cover. So I took off the cover to inspect the problem and found my timing belt gouged up. Replaced both the serpentine belts and did the timing belt. Replacing the timing belt on a DSM... big suprise...

Bought some poly engine ount inserts for it on wednesday because I found the side mount was ripped when I was doing the timing belt. Haven't installed them yet, but soon!

Also started to build up a sound system for the car although nothing has been installed yet. Just been to busy to get around to it. Here's some of the parts that I have:

Love panny decks!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0319993335

Have this sub:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ALPINE-SWR-1022D-10 ... 286.c0.m14

These speakers for the front:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ALPINE-SPS-600C ... 286.c0.m14

This amp for door speakers although im not sure I'm going to stay with it:
http://cgi.ebay.com/KENWOOD-KAC-7202-am ... 286.c0.m14

Then I have an old school audibahn (when they actually made good shit) mono amp for the sub. Still have to construct a box. And I have a rockford cap. Still trying to determine rear speakers.

Other than that the car is actually at my suspension guys shop probably for the next three days while he trys to chase down a suspension clunk that the car has on the dirvers side front. I think its a strut mount or a balljoint but he seems to think that it might be rack related. After the suspension is all taken care of it will probably be time to put on the snow tires!
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

Okay, well I guess it's time for an update.

Snow started flying ehre which meant it was time to take the semi-bald tires off and put on snow tires. However my tires were wearing really weird, so I kinda determined that it needed an alignment prior to putting snow tires on. No sense in getting an alignment unless I take care of the suspension problems first...

The car had a wicked front end clunk on the drivers side. It took some work to diagnose but I came up with the lower rear suspension arm and balljoint needing to be replaced. When I took the suspension apart I fucked up the tie rod end, so I replaced that right away. Then I saw the axle threads were fucked up so I ordered a new one of those right away. All said and done it wasn't too difficult of a repair. It's ready to be picked up from the alignment shop tomorrow.

Now, for the stereo

I installed the Alpine 6.5 components (seen here: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SPS600C ... 00c&tp=106 ) and mounted the tweeters in the door panel simular to where they are in a stock integra or some civics.

I installed the panasonic deck (seen here: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_133CQC800U ... 33&tp=5684 ) which even though crutchfield said wouldn't fit my car it did.

Purchased the rear speakers too: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1086937I/I ... D108&tp=91 BTW this is an AWESOME price on these speakers too! And I know 6x9's kinda suck, but I didnt want to dick around with customizing the rear enclosure.

Purchased both these amps:
For the door speakers: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KACX40/ ... 113&tp=115

For the subwoofer (going to bridge it to one Alpine Type R 10" DVC): http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KAC7202 ... 202&tp=115

I decided on making a custom box for the woofer to sit in the drivers side rear most portion of the trunk. I also decided to mount the amps where the spare tire used to be in the wheel well. Already made an MDF amp and cap rack and ran the power speaker and rca wires from there to their respective locations. Should turn out to be a really clean install and help me maintain trunk space!

I promise... pictures of the car and the work being done to it soon!
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Nice deck!

I remember a few dumbass piffers telling me my deck wouldn't fit.

88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

Welp, I was out working on the car a little and having fun driving it in the snow, so I figured I would snap some pictures while it was light out.

Here's the deck: Image

Here's the door panel with the component tweeter installed...

And here is a random shot of the interior. BTW, the panel that is missing is missing because the previous owner broke the fasteners for it. I put it back on an hour after taking these today with new fasteners.

Engine bay shots:

Tubular O2 housing, 3" turbo back exhaust, part of the tiny 14b

I also got two sets of wheels and tires with the car, a winter and a summer set. I put the winter set on this past weekend but discovered a slow leak in one of them yesterday, so I had one summer on on up till about two hours ago, and thats the mis-matched rim. The car looks alot better with th summer wheels on it, but it drives in the white stuff MUCH better with the winter tires.

Thats about it for now, more shots of the stereo stuff later in the week.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Nice parking job :)
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

love the drift into the driveway
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

Thanks! I was hoping someone would appreciate that!
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

Looking good. I need to get to work on my Talon.
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

Well I thought I would share some news about the car. The stereo still isn't completely installed. I still need to amp the speakers and mount the two amps and cap and make a sub box and mount that. The rear speakers did get installed though, not sure if I shared that info with you guys.

In more relevant news... I datalogged some runs with the car... umm yeah, it needs some tuning and mainly bigger injectors BAD! here's a screenshot of my datalogged run in second gear at the top of the revs:

Injector duty cycle at 121% YIKES! I was getting some knock retard after the shift, but I would think that might be "normal"? Also, I know I have a puny little turbo on this thing but is the cfm maxxing out at ~270 gm/sec from 5000-7000 rpms "normal"? Anyone see anything else that I should be concerned about with this datalog?

I can send the data file or post up more screenshots if people are interested...
fieromadman

Re: fieromadman's Eclipse GSX! updates, parts and pics

Post by fieromadman »

Well this week and last week I got alot accomplished on the car. Well maybe not too much, but enough to the point that I'm much happier with the car.

I got the amps and the subwoofer installed and all the rest of the wiring done for that. The door speakers and rear speakers are amped with a four channel amp, and the subwoofer is running off a bridged two channel. It's a single ten apline type r subwoofer. I have a one farad capacitor too. The system is CLEAN sounding and can put out notes in any range witht he best of them but yet isn't too overpowering in any range, it's setup pretty nice and sounds exactly how I wanted it to.

I took off the front bumper because the previous owner rigged up/broke just about everything that could be rigged/broke having to do with it. So about 14 hours worth of work later and the a/c condensor is removed, every bolt that was stripped/broken off is drilled out, all the bumper clips are in place and the oil cooler is actually mounted with brackets instead of zip ties! It is located in a position that incorporates air flow too, unlike before. Also I never had a working horn with the car so while the bumper was off I found out the the wiring was all good, but the horn its self was bad. I went and bought an "ooga" model t style horn for it and put it on. It's funny and catches people off gaurd. I will post pictures of everything when I get home.
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

Okay well i finally downloaded the pictures I took of the car, so here we go...

My friend grinding down one of the many heads of a bolt that was stuck in the frame... damn rust.

My sweet oil cooler zip tie mounts before i changed them...

Not the easiest to see or best picture, but the mount that i made for the oil cooler... it was rotated 90 degrees, mounted on both sides and put in a path of airflow...

ok so car cleaned up and bumper and new headlights on (remember these are the winter rims/tires)

new headlights are so much better in EVERY way:

Rear three way speakers:

Door speakers with seperate component tweeters (no the hair clip isn't mine!)

deck and the carbon fiberness (yes i know i need to clean my floormats)

Sub and trunk area (have carpet for the box that matches the rest of the car, just a matter of time before i do it):

Amps and wiring and capacitor (the underneath area of this board I plan on carpeting sometime):

Thats about it... let me know what you think!
EMX5636

Post by EMX5636 »

Looks pretty good... You should power wash your engine bay though! lol. Makes me kinda miss my 1G GSX. I'll have to do a build thread in this forum for my VR4 Galant someday. I can't get away from the 4G63. haha
1988 Fiero Formula-3400 60trim Haltech SOLD
1990 Eclipse GSX-parted out
1991 Galant VR4- #108 Alum Rod 2.0L AMS-750R
2003 Kawi KLX400R Legal Motard
2004 Honda TRX450R #33W mx
2001 GMC Sierra C3 AWD
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

Well at some point once the Fiero is going strong this summer I want to pull the engine and trans from the eclipse and go over everything throughly, upgrade the turbo add a front mount and clean everything up. That would be a great time to power wash it. When the pics with the bumper off were taken the car hadn't been washed in months because it was either too cold or I was too broke. Since then it's gotten a wash with a very prolonged underbody flush in the engine bay area. Damn that salt. :(