Spintech muffler on GTI

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

derangedsheep

Spintech muffler on GTI

Post by derangedsheep »

My GTI has a 1.8T so I guess this should go in here.

So I'm looking for an exhaust. I like the way the Spintech mufflers sound on Fieros but that is all I have ever heard one on in person. I looked on YouTube and they had some videos of them on other V6s and some V8s but nothing on any 4 cylinders.

Has anyone heard a Spintech on a 4 cylinder (+10 if on a VW)? I figure it would either sound pretty awesome or like shit and I don't want to drop money on it and then it sounds like shit.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Lotus Elise was the best I could find:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcWuGUmy8As

The sound should be similar.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

I think they'll be quite different personally. The Elise motor is a really high revving, high compression, built N/A motor. It has a really good N/A specific output. The GTI on the other hand, lower compression, tuned for a much lower, and broader, torque curve, and add on top of that, it's turbocharged, which changes the sound a lot.

That being said, I think it will sound rather good. It will still sound like a 4cyl, and be semi-loud if that's the only sound deadner, but I think it will sound good.

That Elise sounded really good, I liked it. It's no STi, but getting close.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
derangedsheep

Post by derangedsheep »

That Elise sounds pretty sweet. I don't know how I missed that vid.
Aaron wrote: That being said, I think it will sound rather good. It will still sound like a 4cyl, and be semi-loud if that's the only sound deadner, but I think it will sound good.
I wasn't trying to make it sound like something it isn't. I planned on it sounding like a 4cyl still. I don't want it to be loud for cruising and definitely don't want droning so I was thinking of running a resonator after the cat. I don't want to attract unneeded attention, the Fiero does/did that and I don't need every jackass in a Honda trying to race me. Basically I want loud when it needs to be loud and mellow when it needs to be mellow.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

derangedsheep wrote: I wasn't trying to make it sound like something it isn't. I planned on it sounding like a 4cyl still. I don't want it to be loud for cruising and definitely don't want droning so I was thinking of running a resonator after the cat. I don't want to attract unneeded attention, the Fiero does/did that and I don't need every jackass in a Honda trying to race me. Basically I want loud when it needs to be loud and mellow when it needs to be mellow.
That right there is the goal of a perfect exhaust system IMHO. Unfortunately, it is also not possible, without valve systems and such. My Fiero is quiet enough that it's quite tolerable, and I love the exhaust tone and volume. However, just as you said, I drive anywhere, and every punkass in his little Honda wants to race. I let it blow off a little to get them to piss off, and then they want to see more. I now just leave my tinted windows up, and ignore their existence.

Have you thought about a valve system like the Corvettes use? I drove a LS3 Vette with it, and I swear to God, that was the best exhaust I've ever heard (Short of the Corsa LS6 exhaust). Bone stock too. It was loud enough that you knew it was packing a LS3 all the time, but quiet enough that you didn't realize it was there. Then you stepped on it, and all hell broke loose. It hit 3,000rpm, and it was like Satan opened his mouth. It was a ferocious growl that was just amazing. I thought our LS1 Camaro sounded pretty good, but the LS3 with the variable exhaust system put it to shame.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
derangedsheep

Post by derangedsheep »

Aaron wrote: Have you thought about a valve system like the Corvettes use?
The thought crossed my mind but then I remembered I'm a poor college student.

The car is chipped already with a CAI (for whatever that's worth) and over Christmas break it will be getting a Peloquin's LSD and a better clutch. I may end up just doing a 2.5" or 3" downpipe with the stock catback for more of a sleeper effect. More gains are to be had with just a downpipe vs. just a catback anyway.

Still though, I wouldn't mind having a sweet exhaust note. There are a lot of prebuilt systems for it that sound great but they can be kind of expensive (an APR catback is $769). I can have a custom system put together for a lot less but its a pain in the ass to pick the components.