Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

Fastback86

2009 Motor Trend Car Of The Year: Nissan GTR

Post by Fastback86 »

<Insert Sig Here>
whipped

Post by whipped »

Nice. Clutchless manual. See? Somebody get GM on board before they fail.
My fiero is aliiiive!!
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

whipped wrote:Nice. Clutchless manual. See? Somebody get GM on board before they fail.
Not a whole lot of people like these. Top Gear hates the not so affectionately called "flappy paddles." I personally prefer a standard stickshift. I understand the advantages, and can't deny that their performance is better, I just don't like them. And at some point, what I prefer to drive comes before the 2 tenths of a second in the 1/4mi.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I think nissan is conflicted. If they were worried about split second shifts, you think they would be also worried about the weight of the car... If it was 500lbs lighter I would take it more seriously.

As it is, Nissan is voiding warranties of anyone taking the traction control off and launching the car with the launch feature. Turns out the transmssion is only good for about 15 launches.

Replacement transmission -$20k
Replacement brakes -$6k

Guess you need to spend supercar money to own nissan's new supercar.

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=25361

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/3 ... ut-the-gtr

I think I will stick with Godzilla.
Indy

Post by Indy »

Wow...Lots of harsh words for the car by the owners in the NAGTROC thread. Can't say I'm suprised with what Nissan is doing with the warranties and all that, they've gotta recoop somwhere.
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

I didnt read much of those treads yet, but lets get this clear, the GT-R has a switch or button to turn traction control off, yet they will void your warranty if you use a factory installed feature?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

And a launch control button used to get the advertized 3.6 seconds 0-60....
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I'd sue.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Aaron wrote:I'd sue.
Me too. Void your warranty for driving the car as advertised? Bullshit.

Did you guys see the Edmunds video review of the GT-R versus the Corvette ZR1?
They ended it with the ZR1 doing a donut around the GT-R. Pwned.
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

The transmission issue appears way overblown to me. I didn't read that entire thread, but only one guy or a few people have actually broken them, and the guy who started the thread didn't just launch it once, he did it went nuts with it and wore it out. If I launched my Fiero 15 times in a row and burned up the clutch, I wouldn't blame GM.
<Insert Sig Here>
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Fastback86 wrote:The transmission issue appears way overblown to me. I didn't read that entire thread, but only one guy or a few people have actually broken them, and the guy who started the thread didn't just launch it once, he did it went nuts with it and wore it out. If I launched my Fiero 15 times in a row and burned up the clutch, I wouldn't blame GM.
GM didn't build the Fiero to do 1/4 mi drags time after time. Apparently, neither did Nissan. They just told everyone they did.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

lmao yup, gotta agree with that.

Everything I read, watched and heard about the GT-R leads one to believe it will " rip your head off and shit down your neck" it's been played out as one bad assed car ( and I'm sure it is).

How long is the GT-R been available? a year tops? just in those 2 forums alone I see whats an alarming percentage of people with transmission troubles already.

Apparently it states in the owners manual to basicially not turn TC off or LC on unless it's a rare occasion where your stuck in snow or mud.
This alone pretty much waves a big fucking red flag that Nissan knows about a potential transmission problem.

That one tread starter said some jap techs just downloaded info from the black box and said he abused it and the warranty was voided without even taking the damn thing apart to see what was wrong. They didnt waste any time or effort to point the finger elsewhere. You can bet your pocket book those techs already knew what they would find inside.

It's one thing producing a brand new car and having a potential problem with it, but it's something else to void someones warranty when they used factory install features.

My SX4 has an electronic AWD system ( no where near as complicated or performance orianted as the GT-R, and it has an AWD lock setting that splits the power 50-50 ( basicially 4x4 mode). The owners manual states to use the AWD lock when stuck and extreme conditions, not turn all that stuff off. Apparenty Nissan want's GT-R owers to do the opposite of what seems common sense.

Hell, my relatively cheap and simple SX4 is programmed to turn that shit back on and lock out the feature of disabling it after 30mph, it will even set it back to the basic AWd when the gearbox cases temps start to rise out of spec, you mean to tell me a supercar that costs 4 X + as much doesn't have some safety features in the AWD system?

I smell BS on Nissan's take on this plan and simple.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Well... Nissan screwed up. They made a big fat American car with a big turbo 6 and then tried to make it fast....

Launching a 3800lb AWD car with 480hp is going to break parts.

I'm sure the car will last track day after track day and not have any problems, but jackass owners launching their cars on the street is just stupid.

Launches wear out clutches... the clutches are in the transmission. You are looking at a transmission rebuild at the very least when those clutches wear out, or break.

A stock R32 GTR clutch lasts about 7 launches, but its a clutch that is easily upgraded for abuse. Clutches are a wear item, Nissan should have made it a serviceable item.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Fastback86 wrote:The transmission issue appears way overblown to me. I didn't read that entire thread, but only one guy or a few people have actually broken them, and the guy who started the thread didn't just launch it once, he did it went nuts with it and wore it out. If I launched my Fiero 15 times in a row and burned up the clutch, I wouldn't blame GM.
"Nissan GTR Gearbox Problems" already has 166,000 hits on Google.

I haven't read the whole NAGTROC thread, but here are some pics posted elsewhere that may have originally been posted there:

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=234231

It looks like 2nd gear on an Isuzu that's been behind a SBC. It doesn't look like the clutch is the issue.

This is, of course, completely unsat.

They're not talking about 15 launches in a row, they're talking about 15 launches over the life of the transmission. So if you took your GTR to the drag strip every weekend and used the launch control ONCE per week, you'd need a new transmission inside 4 months. That's absurd.
Indy

Post by Indy »

What's absurd is Nissan's position on denying any warrenty claims if the LC has been used even ONCE.