Turbo guru's

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

jelly2m81

Turbo guru's

Post by jelly2m81 »

So anyway with business being dog slow, I can't see a C6 in the future anytime soon so I've been eyeing a turbo kit for the Suzuki SX4. I decided to not do much with the 85 vette, so I'll likely sell that for whatever to get it out of the way, and I really have no intrest in engine swapping either Fiero.

Road Race Motor sports in Kaliforna-ah has a bolt on kit with a piggy back ECU that has dyno'd 220 Whp. these things are rated stock at 143HP and the average dyno of a stock 5 spd AWD is around 98 WHP, thats well over a 100% increase in HP. This kits runs 10 PSI with stock internals.

http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/stor ... cts_id=345

Sounds intriguing......

Now I know the basics of Turbocharger operation and diagnostics, but I'm not up to speed on turbocharger mappings and whatnot, basicially other than knowing how they work, my experiance is limited to troubleshooting stock factory systems.

The kit says it is a 16g turbocharger, which I'm guessing is originally a Mitsubishi application ( Road Race does alot for mitsu's too).

I've been following their progress on this setup for the past 2 years, and they claim they have numerous cars running this with 10's of thousands of miles on them without any failures.

It is pricey- sorta... $4500.00 USD. but honestly, a proper L67 swap in a fiero the way I would want to do it would run about that, so already it's not anymore than I expected to pay for a swap in something.

Now I know everyone is going to say " you can do your own cheaper", well I may be able to, but first I don't want to fuck with it, I want to bolt on, maybe some tuning and go but here is the real kicker......... Suzuki Motors USA will still honor the powertrain warranty with this kit installed. In fact, Suzuki has been showing the RRM Turbo SX4's in their displays at the major autoshows and this kit is available for purchase through Suzuki dealers.

I don't mind paying extra if it doesn't void the powertrain warranty, I have 8 years of that left on this thing.

This car already handles as well, if not better than a stock 88 GT, and that is with the factory shitty Bridgstone Turanza's it came with., obviously if I double the HP I would probably do some suspension and brake mods along with a good set of tires. There's lots of suspension and brake bits available for these things.

RRM and people who drove the cars and those that have this kit already say that they are as quick if not faster than stock WRX's and Evo's.

My only real concern is wintertime, but they will do a de-tuned ECU program and just change the tuning for whatever season.
I've seen dyno sheets and vids ( one dynoed 244 WHP ) on several different RRM turbocharged ones, and they are showing 220 WHP +.

Seems like wild claims of a 100+% increase on stock internals and drivetrain, but the numbers are out there.

Fun looking Vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meZFjAph ... re=related

I already played WRC this winter a few times at night when no one else was on the roads, this thing is a blast to drift around and very controllable and predictable on snowy roads^^
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Re: Turbo guru's

Post by crzyone »

I say go for it, would be a nice power upgrade. About the same power as an SRT-4 neon which are pretty quick out of the box.

You will lose some fuel mileage which kind of defeats buying the car in the first place. You will also notice lots of torque steer if you don't have an LSD. Only 1 year of SRT-4 neon has no factory LSD, guess driving them was a little hairy without it.

Do you have the sedan or crossover? I know the crossover has AWD but I'm not sure about the sedan. If you do have AWD, torquesteer isn't really an issue.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Are you worried about traction in wintertime? Turbos LOVE cold weather, so I'm guessing it's not for durability...

If it'll take twice the stock power WITH the warantee, fucking gonuts, man!

3400's have demonstrated that they can have radical power increases with only modest increases in manifold pressure. The current state of the art in emission-restricted engines involves using heads that flow really well with very mild cams with very minimal overlap. This is the perfect recipe for turbo performance as it makes the very best use of boost.

Does Suzuki offer your engine/powertrain turbocharged elsewhere in the world?
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

Yes it is the crossover AWD, and there isn't any LSD's in it. I have felt that in the dry when pushing it hard through the corners in AWD, you can just detect that "4x4" feel, inscreasing the power 2 fold will certainly enhance that I'm sure.

Fuel mileage wasn't the top concern when we purchased this or the GV, it was the AWD capability, we knew they would suffer a mileage decrease just because of that, and accepted it. What we didn't realise at the time because this was a first model year car was how fun it was to drive and how good a car it really was.

Winter time safety was the main goal as the wife drives it everyday summer and winter to work which is now my concern of how it will handle in the snow with all that extra power.

Suzuki does offer a 1.9LTurbo Diesel 6 speed option in Europe in these but is rated at 118 HP versus our 2.0L 143 hp stock.
But their Diesel makes over 200 ft/lbs of torque which is the territory this turbo kit brings the 2.0L engine to, so the drivetrain itself is tried and true for that capacity.

Now I just need to sell this to the wife.................thats the hard part..LOL
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

It looks like a decent kit. The header looks to be ceramic coated and all the piping looks pretty thought out. Do you know exactly what the additional fuel management is? That's the only thing that concerns me. I'm not a fan of things like an additional injector. If it's an ECM reflash and/or bigger injectors, I'd say go for it for sure.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I wouldn't worry about a detune for the colder weather or snow conditions. With awd I doubt you will have that much of a problem. The turbo won't do much unless you get into it. With a 2 liter and a 16g there will be a bit of lag to help you get going without shredding the tires.

I say go for it especially if it doesn't void the warrantee. Can't go wrong. And it should run 13's

And yes motors are much more efficient today which allows for these power increases with small amounts of boost. The heads just flow well.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Thats pretty cool, that black SX4 was cool, if it lost the wing, roof scoop, and mad tyte jdm headlights. Thats certainly a sleeper.