LS2 coil packs

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

LS2 coil packs

Post by crzyone »

I'm really considering modifying my ignition system to use some LS2 "truck" coil packs. They are supposed to be even better than LS1 coils which is perfect for a boosted engine.

Something like this
http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-COIL-PACKS-FROM- ... 240%3A1318

I am actually looking for some advice. Since a lot of people on this board do engine swaps and know ignition systems well, what is needed to fire an LS2 coil pack? Looking at that picture it seems that there is one connector for all 4 coil packs.

These pigtails are for the same coils?
http://cgi.ebay.ca/LS2-Ignition-Coil-Co ... 240%3A1318

I really don't know how to get started, wiring coils is one thing but I'm not sure how to make one system compatable with another.

Here is a thread on replacing an R32 igniter with a Z32 igniter. Some wiring diagrams and such. I want to upgrade to a Z32 ignitor and run the LS2 coils for a more reliable ignition system that can handle whatever I throw at it.
http://forums2.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=169107

Does it look possible to fire the LS2 coils with a Z32 igniter?

Nice thing about the LS coils is that they use spark plug wires which makes them fairly universal. It's just wiring the coils that I'm concerned with.

Thanks for any advice!
Jinxmutt

Re: LS2 coil packs

Post by Jinxmutt »

There is a coil pack harness. The coil pack harness provides power and ground to the coils and then the signal to fire them. The main plug is spliced into 4 plugs per side (one for each coil). The truck coils that you pictured in the first link are the big dog pitbull units and can withstand the most dwell as well as less dwell for higher rpm, also the reason for the heatsink.

The LS1 coils use chassis ground, sensor ground, power, and the signal from the ecu to fire. On my AEM stand alone, I ditched the coil harness and just wired the 6 plugs appropriately. I wired the 6 powers together to key on power, I wired the 6 grounds together to chassis, I put the sensor ground back to the ecu ground, and then I paired 1/4 2/5 3/6 for 3 of my 5 coil outputs from the AEM.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

You'll lose your tachometer signal unless your ecu has a PWM output. I was talking to Jinx about solutions to his no-tach issue. Apparently there is an emulator box that runs off one of the power wires, but its expensive.

Also, can someone help clarify a concept? Ls1 coils can dwell up to 6mS. I had always assumed that having an individual coil for each cyl. would allow for longer charge time for each coil, and subsequently allow for a longer dwell period from each coil. Being Jinx has his setup wired to fire two coils at a time (1/4 2/5 3/6), it would seem that each coil has about the same charge time, just that the system is no longer wasted spark. Would the extended dwell time only be resultant of the LS1 coils superior igniter, or is it chopped up to something I'm missing?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Ok, sounds doable. I'm hoping to be able to wire it up so that the ignitor will fire the coils in the same manner it fires the stock coils.

So would LS1 or LS2 coils be better? What is the difference in laymans terms?
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

That was a really cool video. Guess I will look for a set of Yukon coils although the LS2 would probably be more than enough.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Emc209i wrote:Also, can someone help clarify a concept? Ls1 coils can dwell up to 6mS. I had always assumed that having an individual coil for each cyl. would allow for longer charge time for each coil, and subsequently allow for a longer dwell period from each coil. Being Jinx has his setup wired to fire two coils at a time (1/4 2/5 3/6), it would seem that each coil has about the same charge time, just that the system is no longer wasted spark.
In wiring them up like that they *become* a waste spark system. They are not waste spark in the stock implementation.
Jinxmutt wrote:The LS1 coils use chassis ground, sensor ground, power, and the signal from the ecu to fire. On my AEM stand alone, I ditched the coil harness and just wired the 6 plugs appropriately. I wired the 6 powers together to key on power, I wired the 6 grounds together to chassis, I put the sensor ground back to the ecu ground, and then I paired 1/4 2/5 3/6 for 3 of my 5 coil outputs from the AEM.
Did the stock coil pack not play nice with the AEM, or did you think the stock ignition wouldn't be adequate?
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

I could have used the stock coils, I believe. There are guys running them with MS without issues. I decided that it would be easier (and cooler) to run the individual coils in a wasted spark setup. It really simplifies the plug wires and the LSx coils have a setup wizard which really made config easy. Rather than having to figure out what was required and how to run the stock coils, I got these used from a fiero guy for a great price and took the easy way out. The LS1s also look more impressive, lol.

I don't know if the stock coils were better, worse, or on par with the ls1 coils, so it wasn't really performance minded.