Engine Swap

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

befarrer

Engine Swap

Post by befarrer »

Picked up this engine to swap into my truck. Going to gather parts as I find them and eventually swap it in. The motor needs a rebuild as it blew the coolant jacket o-ring in the rear rotor. I am going to leave it stock for now, and run a 5-speed behind it, it is 200HP factory, from a 1990 RX7. I plan to run a megasquirt ECU with this motor.
Attachments
Engine2.jpg
Engine2.jpg (25.72 KiB) Viewed 5012 times
Engine1.jpg
Engine1.jpg (30.15 KiB) Viewed 5012 times
Shaun41178(2)

Re: Engine Swap

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

cool, what kind of truck?
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

88 MAzda B2200 Long box 8) The thing is lighter than my fiero lol, and most of the weight is over the front.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Lol... 13B power in a mini-truck. Going to convert to 4wd and lift it? :-D
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

Naw, just use it as a year round pickup. The stock 80HP engine isnt as fun, and I figured a rotary is different, and relatively easy to swap into the truk, plus a learning experience.

It would cost $500 or more to convert my truck to EFI from the electronic carb, which would include redoing the engine bay wiring harness, so this swap is only 2-3X more money, and alot more fun lol. :-D This thing would have 20-40 more HP than my Fiero, 40+ more lb/ft of torque, and my truck is a hundred lbs or so lighter than my Fiero. Nice thing about this motor is that to get the equivalent of a cam regrind, all you need is a dremel 8) and some time, no money required, except for power to run the dremel, and the dremel bits.

Should be able to be reliable (as far as the swap goes), because an RX7 tranny pretty much bolts in, just at most, move the shifter (which the trannies have 2 positions for), and make an engine mount. Or if I want, I can unbolt the stock bellhousing, and bolt on an RX7 bellhousing to my stock tranny, but my tranny isnt made for the power of that motor, and already has a bad synchro in 2 and 3, and whines alittle in 5th and neutral. The rear diff is swappable too, so I can pretty much bolt in an entire RX7 running gear into my truck.

My rear end ratio in the truck right now is 3.9:1, and that is the tallest (?) gears I can get. They make gears for this diff all the way down to something like 5.4:1 (5.somethign :1).

I am going to lower it this spring, it should cost as much as rear lowering blocks, the front suspension is torsion bar, and to lower the front, I re-index the torsion bars, they have a splined shaft in the a-arms, 1 spline is about 2-3" drop, but with the same spring rate as stock :good: .
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Power to the Dorito! I hope you take lots of pics of the rebuild. I love the simplicity of Rotaries.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair