I was told I would receive my own forum.

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

CincinnatiFiero

Re: I was told I would receive my own forum.

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:It shares running gear with other Nissan models, right?
I've seen an R32 and IIRC it used Z32 300ZX front suspension, and it, the Z32 and the S13/14 all share the same rear suspension, which is a 5 link setup... wild stuff. A supercar with cheap Nissan parts bin parts.
That seems to be more true of RWD Skylines, but yeah a fair bit of it overlaps.

Got the fluids all changed last night, realized that the clutch had a new braided hose on it. Looked at the reservoir, fluid was black and low. Opened the bleeder, nothing. Started bleeding it and it took a while to get fluid, flushed until the fluid looked new. I wouldn't be surprised if that also could have caused occasional shifting issues. Haven't driven it since the work being done, it's still on the rack.

Found some mad tyte JDM wheels for sale, sent the guy an offer, waiting to hear back. I think I'm going to shelve the 3 spokes instead of selling them, despite being ugly they do sort of fit early 90s Japanese street racer look, but for day to day I want something better looking.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Z32 and R32 GTR are quite a bit different suspension and brake wise. It's a big upgrade to put GTR brakes on the GTS skyline and Z32.

The 3 spoke wheels are cool in a way but yeah, pretty dated. I miss my Advan RGs, they suited the GTR perfectly.
CincinnatiFiero

Bought a set of 1-piece OZ Futura's for the car.

This set was sold new in Japan. Less common than 3-piece futuras, but also considerably less expensive.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Looking good. Axing those aux gauges or upgrading them?
CincinnatiFiero

Ultimately I'd like to ditch them, but they are genuine Autometer, they work, and the pillar pod fits pretty well, so it's admittedly low on my to-do list.
CincinnatiFiero

OZ wheels showed up today. Well some of them did. Box was smashed and obviously repackaged and taped up by UPS. Only 3 wheels in the box and all the packing material in one end. So the 3 wheels that did show up were touching each other.

And begins the claims process.
CincinnatiFiero

August 4th. The 4th wheel finally shows up from the UPS lost and found. UPS wouldn't process the damage claim to the other 3 wheels until I had the 4th. So the process drags on.

They're all scuffed to hell so all 4 need totally refinished. Quote from the local wheel repair shop is less than what I paid for the wheels and dramatically less than the insured value of the box. Hopefully UPS does me right on this one.

Been talking to someone who does mail-order tunes for R32 GTRs, I am not going to race this car nor did I buy it to go fast. So I think a conservative mail-order tune should work just fine for my application. Sounds like 400HP should be no issue though on a car with slightly larger turbos and a more open intake and exhaust.

We've got a GTS coming for a friend, so I'll be curious to drive them back-back.
CincinnatiFiero

Had the carbon hood painted to match and got a JUN(style) lip for it. Had the OZ wheels redone in a grey/bronze that is sort of close to the stock R32 GTR wheel color. Center caps aren't on in the pics, and I calculated the offset a big wrong, so I need to get some spacers and put the center caps on. I had a situation where one of the wheels lug nuts were loose so I drove around centercap-less for a few weeks paranoid and checking the torque all the time. Must have been me leaving them loose because they never got loose again. Either way, yes my fitment is wrong, and yes I am going to fix it.

Learned my car has 324mm brake rotors on it, which is the size of R32 Vspec or R33 rotors. It uses the stock 4 pot Sumitomo calipers, but there is an adapter/spacer bracket under the calipers. Learned that when I got some stock GTR wheels and some 16" JDM wheels in a super low offset for some mad tyte JDM poke. Takes 17s to clear the calipers with 324mm rotors. So, onto eBay all the wheels go.

In other news, my car has a Blitz off the shelf tuned ECU, so I bought a stock ECU with the intentions of have Nistune daughter board soldered into it. Also got some better turbo outlets, and I ordered a different downpipe. Next is some big injectors. Unsure if I want to copy a local friends R32 GTR build because I could just copy his tune on Nistune, or go giant pump, giant injectors, ethanol content sensor (which nistune now supports) and tune for Corn!

Levi, any insights on E85 in an RB26? I've got 2860-5R turbos on my car, so I can produce a lot more than stock ceramic turbos boost-wise. Might be able to use the extra octane. However it seems like around 800cc injectors, 255+ lph pump, stock intercooler, nistune, 2860s or similar, and an open exhaust can make 500hp on pump gas. I don't know that I need to make extra power on E85 that will then start destroying the drivetrain.

Bored and found this in my stash of plates, wonder how long it will take CPD to care
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Let me ask you this, what's the downside to e85?

Range, and that's it.

It's cheaper to run than 85 octane, allows for about 100whp more, it's almost impossible to detonate on, runs cooler, and is (arguably) better for Murica.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

if switching to corn i would not go with the 255. I would go with the 450 walbro. my 255 couldn't hold 5 psi on the corn with my 3.5 turbo. I was running lean. swapped pumps to the 450 and all was good. I had to pull fuel after that.

if you can do 500 hp with your turbos on pump gas, I wouldn't bother with making the switch. Unless you want more power. 500 hp in a 32 is fast.
CincinnatiFiero

The 255 would be if I was just doing premium unleaded tune. Another local R32 friend has an aeromotive 340 in his car for 93 octane tune. Most people seem to do the Walbro 410lph E85 compatible pump in the R32 if they do corn.

North of 500whp you seem to start breaking and going through other stuff in the R32 I don't want to pay for. I bought the car for fun, not to win races, any power increase is for my own amusement only. This is a .nl build, I'm going to make all sorts of mods that I claim add huge power, then never dyno, and never hit the track. I will do a lot of 3rd gear highway merge pulls and talk about the seat of the pants feel.

However I am intrigued by the idea of two tunes and an ethanol content sensor. Sort of eliminates the range and availability concerns of E85. Also buying a 410 pump and 1000cc injectors isn't all that much more than buying a 340 and 800s. I have to buy those parts anyway. Have to buy Nistune anyway as well. The flexibility to go to E85 isn't all that much more. But I will need to spend more money on two tunes. I mostly want to mess with ethanol for my own learning purposes more than anything else.

At this point we are so late in the season I want to enjoy the car as much as I can until the first snow falls, then park it and begin to again mentally masturbate about what I can do to the car.

I am also keeping an eye out for a 97+ R33 gearbox with the improved synchros. The OS Giken gearset is bulletproof, but my wallet is not, so that's not happening.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Aaron wrote: and is (arguably) better for Murica.
*Corn* ethanol is an idiotic idea all around, but we can take that to another thread.
CincinnatiFiero wrote: However I am intrigued by the idea of two tunes and an ethanol content sensor. Sort of eliminates the range and availability concerns of E85. Also buying a 410 pump and 1000cc injectors isn't all that much more than buying a 340 and 800s. I have to buy those parts anyway. Have to buy Nistune anyway as well. The flexibility to go to E85 isn't all that much more. But I will need to spend more money on two tunes. I mostly want to mess with ethanol for my own learning purposes more than anything else.

At this point we are so late in the season I want to enjoy the car as much as I can until the first snow falls, then park it and begin to again mentally masturbate about what I can do to the car.

I am also keeping an eye out for a 97+ R33 gearbox with the improved synchros. The OS Giken gearset is bulletproof, but my wallet is not, so that's not happening.
Good attitude. All projects are built for enjoyment... that just means different things to different people.

If the computer is up to the task, the ethanol content sensor lets you run an infinite number of tunes based on the exact ethanol percentage in your tank at that moment. Have 5 gal of 93 in and dump 5 gal of E85 in on top to make E43? That's fine. Fill up at an E85 station in winter and actually get E60? That's fine too. Fill all the way up on 93 for a long road trip? That also works.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:*Corn* ethanol is an idiotic idea all around.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Like I said, arguably!

Corn has a lot of benefits. Runs cooler, cheaper than low octane to run even accounting for 30% increase in consumption, and it's nearly impossible to detonate on.

With the sensor and an ECU that can use it, like Shawn said availability is a non-issue. My car does not have the capability to use the sensor, so I just carry a flash file in my phone for an e85, 91, and 85 octane tune. If I can't for whatever reason flash the new tune, the car will still run, just throws codes for needing too much fuel adjustment to maintain AFR, but it still runs fine so long as I stay out of the throttle.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Emc209i wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote:*Corn* ethanol is an idiotic idea all around.
RIght back atcha.

"arguably" is an interesting term

The ethanol mandate (requirement to put ethanol in gasoline) prevents ethanol ever from becoming its own commodity as it pegs the price of and demand for ethanol directly to the price of and demand for gasoline. Ethanol will never be able to take over as a biofuel people *want* as long as this mandate is in effect (of course Congress doesn't care what people want and may just force corn ethanol on us anyway).
Satisfying the artificial demand for ethanol using corn ethanol drives up the price of corn, thereby increasing food prices, not just in the US, but the world over. Corn ethanol in our gas makes it harder for starving children in Africa to get food.
Making ethanol from corn is a stupidly inefficient process *anyway*.
We'd be much better off using sugar cane ethanol, like Brazil does. However, Congress has created an *IDIOTIC* system of import limits and price controls on sugar, supposedly to "stabilize" the price of sugar for US consumers. What this actually means is that we pay 2-3x as much for sugar as the rest of the world and get high fructose corn syrup in our processed foods and drinks instead of sugar.
The subsidies paid to the ethanol industry and to corn farmers as well are also complete waste of taxpayer money.

So if we killed our sugar restrictions, killed the corn ethanol program and stopped paying farmers subsidies, we could *still* have E85, but it would be cheaper, ethanol would be cheaper, sugar would be cheaper, corn would be cheaper and our tax burden could be lower.

Theoretically, we might even be able to genetically engineer sugar cane to grow well in Florida, which would be interesting business.
CincinnatiFiero

Spacers on, center caps on!