Imported another - Toyota this time

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

CincinnatiFiero

Imported another - Toyota this time

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

1991 Celica GT-Four A.

Factory wide-body car, the A makes it equipped like a USA-spec all trac, ABS, fog lights, alloy wheels, 10 speaker stereo, sunroof, etc.

This one has 95,000km on it, turbo-back exhaust, larger intercooler (stock one was hiding in the trunk as well) and a larger rear sway bar (well its obviously aftermarket, I assume it is larger). Stock airbox, stock turbo, stock interior, stock bodywork. Came with the Work wheels on it, and the stock wheels in the trunk. It's a hoot to drive, a lot more fun around town than the GTR, but on the highway or big open curves the GTR is obviously in another galaxy. But great fun for the money.

Cool picture that unfortunately turned out way too blurry
Emc209i

Re: Imported another - Toyota this time

Post by Emc209i »

Looks like fun! How much does it cost to import an older car like that?
CincinnatiFiero

Import duty is 2.5-3%. For some reason on my GTR I paid 3% on the first $1,000 2.5% on everything else. They did note on the import papers than the GTR was >2.0L, maybe that was it, .5% didn't represent too much money so I never pushed the issue. Customs hates Skylines and my car had been legal less than 30 days so I was happy they were going to clear it at any rate. GT-Four was 2.5% on the whole thing. And you pay on everything, the first $800 or whatever like it is for personal items when you go overseas doesn't apply.

Shipping will obviously vary depending on where you're going to, and where you're coming from. $1,200-$2,000 it seems for roll on roll off for cars that run and drive. Non-runner or containerized shipping will be more.

On the 25+ year old stuff you can file most of the paperwork on your own, but even if you do it yourself you will have to find a customs broker to do some of the security filings if it is coming by sea. If you want to pay someone to file the paperwork for you I've seen places between $500 for just paperwork, up to $5,000 for shipping, paperwork, registration, etc.
CincinnatiFiero

Took a couple pics yesterday. Got the A/C working, new OEM exhaust hangers from the dealer, and a couple other little things.

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I used to auto x against the next generation of this car and I liked it. The stock suspension must be fairly soft or his was worn out because of what seemed like excessive body roll. Always thought it would be a great year round Canadian car. I imagine it would handle snow excellently.
CincinnatiFiero

I've got a thicker rear bar on it, I don't notice any body roll. It actually has much better turn-in than the GTR. A friend has a JDM ST205 in town, I need to link up with him someday and compare.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Yeah she has significantly less weight on the front end compared to a GTR. I think a combination of stock ride height and R compound tires contributed to the body roll.
CincinnatiFiero

Well I removed the airbox intake resonator with promises on alltrac.net of tons more spool noise and mad caaaachuuuu wastegate noises. Strangely, the car is no louder, but it feels considerably faster and I notice 1psi more on the boost gauge. Who knows.

Anyway, I am entertaining selling this one, I moved from my big shop to a smaller one, and only have a 2 car garage at home. Putting cars outside forever sort of kills them, so I may have to sell a couple cars. The GTR is here to stay, at least until I buy an R33 GTR so this is sort of nearing the door even though I really quite like it. Also going to sell my 300SEL but that's another thread for another time.