Going to the dyno Sept 26 2006

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Because factory LS1 coils just kick that much ass

Is the Skyline coil per cylinder or waste spark?
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

Coil per cylinder on plug.
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

OK im back!.
Dyno was a Mustang dyno with a wieght simulation of 3600 lbs.
UNCORRECTED NUMBERS ONLY
Well... being on a dyno is a real eye opener... Puts alot of the "dyno sheets" into prespective.

Running stock boost (9psi) I hit 220hp at the rear wheels.
Full power and boost from 3800-7000rpm.
AF was spot on all the way with all the runs.

Going back on Friday to run with GOOD (not fucked) coils and full boost of 14psi with a boost controller.

14psi is the highest i can go right now on stock ceramic turbos.

I have pics and vids. Uploading now.
One thing though... they set the dyno for 3600 pound car... i asked why so high? they said to simulate 4 people in the car...IE/ worst case scenario.
Last edited by donk_316 on Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

awesome dude. can't wait to see the vids
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

Im not really happy with the result. but it gives me a baseline of what an internally stock and stock boost skyline with 128,000kms will do.

I also want the dyno to simulate my cars actual wieght next time... not...400 pounds more.
Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

well with an estimated 300 crank hp 220whp is about a 26% driveline loss - sounds realistic for an AWD drivetrain.
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

After searching on the net. I found the location of my boost restrictor and just removed it. Now im boosting at a full bar. Thats good.

New coils will be here Friday morning and ready for the next pull Friday afternoon.

I really wanna see 270 at the wheels.

here is my graph from today
Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Good looking dyno, just needs to be higher. I have to say, it felt fast with 220whp. Can't wait to see what they are like with 350+whp
S8n

Post by S8n »

Actaully, alot of import people use the LS1 and GM truck coils. Some company even has a plug-n-play harness to put these coils on Supras. The truck coils are a little stronger than the LS1 coils (different suppliers). I have an extra set of LS1 coils if anyone needs them. Oh yeah, just remember, just because they are new doesn't mean that they are good. Used stuff may be used, but you know it works.
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com
'87 GT *Now can be seen at V8Archie's!* www.fotki.com/8balls
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

donk_316 wrote: I also want the dyno to simulate my cars actual wieght next time... not...400 pounds more.
what difference does vehicle weight make for the dyno reading? the dyno just measures the acceleration of the drums, so i wouldn't think weight would have an affect besides adding friction to the bearings on the dyno rollers, but compensating for that would mean adding a higher weight adds more hp to the reading to compensate for that friction.

That's a pretty damn nice powerband btw. It'll be interesting to see if/how the curve changes at a full bar of boost. How does it feel just driving around with the boost restrictor removed?
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

I dunno what difference the weight has on the cars dyno run... But every skyline dynoed by these guys has had the weight set at 3600 to "baseline" us all to each other... thats all i know...

With the restrictor pulled... well, the car pulls HARD. Its hard to explain.. i think they call it acceleration.

With the restrictor in... the car would lose traction while accelerating through the first 3 gears, a real handfull especially while in RWD.

But now, sheesh its a struggle to hold onto the steering wheel while your being squished into your seat. Sounds dramatic but thats how it is.

Hey.. my Fiance noticed it was alot faster... and if a girl notices its faster... it is.

I hope to see the same results but just 5psi more.
Something the dyno operator mentioned was that with every PSI increase i can guess-timate about a 10 foot pound increase... convert that to HP and i "should hit around 273hp" ....god i hope so.. 220hp is embarrasing. But i posted it cause i said i would.
:thumbleft:

I think the reason why it feels so fast is because its all the power and torque from 3800-redline. There is no "out of air" or falling off with this engine.

Imagine what REAL turbos would do to this engine... wow.
Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

donk_316 wrote: I think the reason why it feels so fast is because its all the power and torque from 3800-redline. There is no "out of air" or falling off with this engine.
Yeah its definitely quite a respectable powerband.
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

How much was the dyno run if you dont mine me asking? Maybe next year when I get my car broken in, I would like to dyno it. Should be about 160HP at the wheels. That is what a guy on Old Europe did with a stock HO in an indy.
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

$75 bucks for 3 baseline runs.

If you want to tune also. Its $200 /hr.
Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

Was just told that Mustang dynos read approx 15%-30% LESS than a dynojet.

So... If i dyno at 260+hp on the mustang, im really 300+hp at the wheels? or are dynojets high and the mustang is right?
Last edited by donk_316 on Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
Pyrthian

Post by Pyrthian »

Series8217 wrote:
donk_316 wrote: I also want the dyno to simulate my cars actual wieght next time... not...400 pounds more.
what difference does vehicle weight make for the dyno reading? the dyno just measures the acceleration of the drums, so i wouldn't think weight would have an affect besides adding friction to the bearings on the dyno rollers, but compensating for that would mean adding a higher weight adds more hp to the reading to compensate for that friction.
since you are NOT moving the car, the weight is needed to simulate a realistic load to the rollers? just a guess. never dyno'd yet....
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

Pyrthian wrote:
Series8217 wrote:
since you are NOT moving the car, the weight is needed to simulate a realistic load to the rollers? just a guess. never dyno'd yet....
weight should be irrelivant when not moving and measing hp at the wheels. would only need weight to take that measurement and then calculate estimate 1/4 mile time
Pyrthian

Post by Pyrthian »

Kohburn wrote:weight should be irrelivant when not moving and measing hp at the wheels. would only need weight to take that measurement and then calculate estimate 1/4 mile time
yeah, that what I was thinking as I hit Submit.....
the HP at the wheels is the HP at the wheels.
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

Follow along here as i try to find out. The guys who run the dyno i went to are also in that thread.
http://forums.780tuners.com/showthread. ... adid=47074
Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)