What would you do? A shop "borrows" your car...

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

donk_316
Booooooost

What would you do? A shop "borrows" your car...

Post by donk_316 »

Just got home from work over seas. Had left my car with a reputable shop to fix an alarm issue i was having.

I called the shop to get a progress report and see if i could pick it up today.

The guy i was dealing with informs me that he took my car to Calgary on a personal emergency (family member in hospital from accident) and put over 600kms on it. And he is sorry and doesnt want to lose his job over it.

He is a young kid. Obviously didnt realize what he was doing... but it was my Skyline GTR...

He has offered to replace my alarm with a top of a line unit with a starter kit.

But even so... i am still in shock. I dont want to press charges, nor do i want the kid to lose his job...

He offered something about $100 per 100 kms or something like that.

But money doesnt mean much. I also turned down the rev limit when i dropped the car off so they couldnt joy ride in it but they could still get to around 5000 rpm.

I dont want to say the name of the shop as i dont want to start anything from my end until i have all the information or can rectify this issue.

i have a phone call into my lawyer now. The manager knows now but the guy said the manager wasnt in that weekend and he took it sat night and they are closed sunday so no one knew the car was gone.
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

if money isn't an issue then what is?

you are concerned about it having been abused - could the kid have abused it any more than the previous owner? isn't that still just a matter of money to rebuild things if they were abused?

if you are worried about trust - well its gone, you can either never use them again, or give them a second chance and inform them that if it were to ever happen again you would put them out of business

I say take everything they will give you without being spiteful
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I would try to find out who had the emergency as I am guessing it was something medical. Then find the hospital and call and see when the last time that said person was in the hospital. See if he is lying.

I think he is lying though. Why take your car for a family emergency? Why couldn't he take his own? He drove your shit while you were gone and pimping bitches and driving the piss out of it I guarantee it. He knew you were gone and racked up a ton of miles and is now scared that you would notice the much higher mileage.

Take his money if he is offering it, then get his ass fired. Teach that bitch not to fuck with other peoples shit.
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

I called the police for their opinion...

SHOCK AND AWE!

The police AS PER USUAL!!!!! can do nothing. They said that they "could possibly" charge him with "driving without permission" or something weak like that ONLY if there were witnesses??? BUT they would have to do a full investigation FIRST ofcourse.

Doesnt matter if he admits to it??? because it wasnt a cautionary statement?!
WHAT THE f*ck KIND OF COUNTRY ARE WE LIVING IN!
Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

so if someone steals your car and returns it before you call the police then the police can't arrest them for auto theft?

WTF?

take the money and the alarm and find a new shop
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Dude. Weak.

I would get his ass fired in a heartbeat. There is no way in hell he couldn't get a ride to Calgary some other way. He is bullshitting you plain and simple.

Take his money, get him fired. If someone took my car for ANY reason without permission they would be hearing about it.

600km joyride, probibly around Edmonton. Nice.

Guarantee that if you came back when you were supposed to, there would probibly be more than 600km on the clock.

Want to go break his legs?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I still can't get over this.... its quite convenient that he "borrowed" the car on a Saturday night when the shop is closed on Sunday and nobody would know it was gone...

This has joyride written all over it dude. Kid probibly thought he would have time to roll the mileage back before you got back. Didn't count on you being 2 weeks early is my guess.

Nothing wrong with posting the shops name either, might warn others to stay away.

:angry:
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

I agree with Levi.

What's with the soft spot in your heart for this guy? He fucked with your car while you were gone. At the very least get him fired.
bryson

Post by bryson »

Personally, I would rather have the $600 instead of getting the guy fired. On one hand, you want to stop other people from going to the shop so that the same thing doesn't happen to them, but also you personally don't have anything to gain from the kid getting fired. Whatever you choose to do, I definately wouldn't sacrifice the money for the kid getting fired. You gain nothing from him losing his job, especially not $600. Besides, I'll bet you can get a deal on the work done on your car -- the manager has a lot to lose if you go around telling people the name of his shop and what happens.
'87 BMW M6 / '88 BMW M5 / '90 Audi Coupe Quattro / '88 Fiero GT 2.3L Quad4 - 400whp; pump gas
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

Dont worry so much!

Everything will be covered. I drafted a contract today that covers my ass as far as the car is concerned and im getting a fuck of a lot more than 600 bucks out of this.
Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

So he can afford $600 to pay you off , but can't rent a car?

it's a BS excuse...

Get him fired and charge him with joyriding , then sue him

he shouldn't be able to buy people off like that.

Actions have consequences....

Excuses never explain and explanations never excuse.
Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.
mysticfire6602

Post by mysticfire6602 »

if someone did that to my gsx i would make their bones into my new driveshaft.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

what about your metro?
mysticfire6602

Post by mysticfire6602 »

well, i dont know. if he took the metro, he can keep it. i wont care. i only have it for the 45mpg. and the turbo project for it went on hold for a bit while i get more cash to rebuild an engine for it. the current one is going.
VR6in

Post by VR6in »

Thats crazy i think i would want payment in blood not in cash.. You just dont do that.. Im honestly at a loss for words just hearing about this. I would really also like to know the name of the shop so i never end up in the same situation you are in.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

donk_316 wrote:I called the police for their opinion...

SHOCK AND AWE!

The police AS PER USUAL!!!!! can do nothing. They said that they "could possibly" charge him with "driving without permission" or something weak like that ONLY if there were witnesses??? BUT they would have to do a full investigation FIRST ofcourse.

Doesnt matter if he admits to it??? because it wasnt a cautionary statement?!
WHAT THE f*ck KIND OF COUNTRY ARE WE LIVING IN!
Unauthorized use of a motor vehicle is what it's called down here, and just having that arrest should end his job at that spot. Did you record your mileage when you left it off? I'd hit the shop with a letter from my lawyer. Fuck that kid, there's no sick relative. He burned a tank of gas playing Tokyo Drift in your dream car. $600 alarm? Fuck that! They should be paying for a new Skyline.

You should offer to let him keep his job, if he lets you beat his ass. See what he says.
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

Little bit of an update...

Car is being flatdecked over to Subracing tomorrow morning. The car is for sure getting:
Nismo Clutch Hose
Nismo Bigger Clutch Cylinder
Nismo HD Clutch Pivot
Nismo HD clutch Bracket
Nismo Supercoppermix Twin plate clutch and lightweight flywheel

The car is not boosting, so if it is as simple as a lose hose or boost leak then no big deal...
If the ceramic wheels are blown off the stock turbos (which is known to happen under high boost and abuse) then a set of Nismo R34 GTR N1 turbos are going on.
I think they are my best bet for the price and they are a good "upgrade" from the stockers. These are ball bearing so boost comes on at 3500rpm instead of 3800rpm and they are good for 300hp a piece with proper supporting mods at 1.3Bar

If i have to bolt new turbos on then i will also upgrade to better turbo elbows so the damn things can breathe, larger 550cc or 720cc injectors and buy an Apexi Power FC and have the car retuned.

crzyone - your 1st inline for my Blitz ECU if you want it.

Also need an Ignitor / Transistor Pack to cure the misfire issues stated in another thread.

So.... assuming no damage was done internally to the engine, i should be in better shape when all is replaced. YES ill re dyno it too
Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Are you gonna have the kids nuts hanging off your rear view mirror like some fuzzy dice?
DreX

Post by DreX »

stimpy wrote:Are you gonna have the kids nuts hanging off your rear view mirror like some fuzzy dice?
ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

donk_316 wrote: So.... assuming no damage was done internally to the engine, i should be in better shape when all is replaced. YES ill re dyno it too
If those ceramic turbine blades are broken, I wouldn't believe anyone who says the motor is fine. I would demand that they tear down the motor for inspection and replace anything suspect, valve job if the valve seats are damaged, etc. The motor could still be running but the bores could be scratched, pistons dinged up, valve seats dented, etc..