Moderator: crzyone

eHoward
Banned

How to buy a Skyline GTR in America

Post by eHoward »

stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Following the links, I don't see many cars that are actually "available". I think we should just remain smug that we in the US can get Mitsubishi EVOs and Canadians can't.

Haha.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

stimpy wrote:Following the links, I don't see many cars that are actually "available". I think we should just remain smug that we in the US can get Mitsubishi EVOs and Canadians can't.

Haha.
I think we can. :scratch: Just drive to the states and buy one. We have the Lancer here so I'm sure we can own an Evo. The GTO on the other hand we might not be able to since there have not been any modles of it sold here.

BTW, Motorex is out of business. The owner is going, or is in prison. I will try and track down the story.

Goodl uck importing a Skyline into the states.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/viewtopic.p ... ht=motorex

From another topic
The story's all over the internet. If you want to read the full drama, I'd head over to the GTR forum at FreshAlloy. Basically the owner of MX did a lot of underhanded things he should not have done in the business and both the feds and customers cracked down hard on him. There was also a felony involved, so MX shut down and the cars are now scattered throughout the US via various...creative avenues.
Motorex owner jailed, R32 and R34 legalization rescinded
Monday, March 13, 2006
Posted by: AZhitman
According to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, the owner of Motorex, Nanahoshi Hiroaki, 33, was arrested Thursday and booked into the L.A. County Jail. He is being held on $1 Million bail.

Booking Details

Hiroaki's initial appearance is scheduled for Wednesday of this week.

Hiroaki and Motorex came to the recognition of Nissan enthusiasts in the US as they became the only Registered Importer legally authorized to legalize Skylines for US use. As Motorex was able to comply with stringent US crash-testing requirements, they petitioned the courts to protect their interest in the Skyline market by "locking out" other would-be importers from the list of necessary modifications.

Not only did this give Motorex a corner on the market for legal Skylines, it also allowed them to command a premium price for each legalized car. Motorex-prepped Skylines can fetch upwards of $50,000. While making loads of money, Motorex also made loads of enemies.

According to sources, the lease to the Motorex facility has been overdue for months, and is now locked out by the landlord.

The US Department of Transportation has offically rescinded importation eligibility for both the R32 and R34 Skylines, only 96-98 R33 Skylines are still eligible to be imported.

Stay tuned - We'll keep you updated on the latest news as it becomes available.

UPDATE: http://www.thenittygrittyfiles.org/hirofiles/