Take care of your flywheel or...

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Take care of your flywheel or...

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Last edited by The Dark Side of Will on Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indy

Post by Indy »

So....about that scatter shield we were talking about a couple years back...

On the plus side, you can now use the ring gear like a pull-through string on a top.
Indy DOHC Turbo SD4.....someday.
Oh, and f*ck the envelope. (RFT Insurgent)
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

the ring gear is what went through the hood and flew 150 feet? DAMN
it takes a lot to straighten out a ring gear and feed it through the bellhousing and the hood.

scatter shield... would 1/8" steel be enough?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Makes me want to attach a Kevlar trans blanket to my firewall behind the driver's seat.
Mach10
Mach10 offers you his protection.

Post by Mach10 »

Good thing I read those posts and found out that clutch-dust is a powerful enough explosive to shatter a flywheel... :salute:
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

Never heard of a fiero throwing a flywheel through the firewall, and there have been big hp fieros since day one.

I think GM (mis)designed the DIff carrier to save our spines.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

p8ntman442 wrote:Never heard of a fiero throwing a flywheel through the firewall, and there have been big hp fieros since day one.
If its going to happen, it will be a redrilled flywheel for a Northstar or any other motor that has a modified flywheel.
Indy

Post by Indy »

This is why spending extra money on a small diameter (read as "low energy") flywheel and clutch really doesn't make me feel so bad.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

Indy wrote:This is why spending extra money on a small diameter (read as "low energy") flywheel and clutch really doesn't make me feel so bad.
i'll worry about that after i trash the 4speed and go to swap in a g6 6speed
Mach10
Mach10 offers you his protection.

Post by Mach10 »

That'll buff right out.
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

crzyone wrote:
p8ntman442 wrote:Never heard of a fiero throwing a flywheel through the firewall, and there have been big hp fieros since day one.
If its going to happen, it will be a redrilled flywheel for a Northstar or any other motor that has a modified flywheel.

Funny reading this again. When I was on the dyno with my fiero I stuffed my laptop case behind the drivers seat just incase the flywheel came apart. I am extremely nervous about having a redrilled flywheel after seeing what it did to this skyline.

I hope my sub boxes and a couple fire walls would stop the shrapnel from cleaving my back....

My flywheel may never break but it is one of the first things I would upgrade on my car. A SPEC aluminum flywheel is high on the priority list.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I put a lot of miles and a lot of rev limiter hits on my redrilled stock flywheel. Within the factory RPM range, it'll be fine.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

If I had to bet, I'd put money on one of Arch-bags new aluminum flywheels to let go. Based soley on his track record of crap.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

I have a slight reason to suspect something has departed from my clutch assembly at high rpm... Heard a bang like a bolt flying out and hitting something, then heard it again later on. No noises since, and I crawled under the car to inspect the flywheel, and all the friction surface bolts, ring rear retaining bolts, and pressure plate bolts are accounted for and in place still. Problem is, the clutch slips if I try to launch hard, where it used to bite abruptly and firmly if called on.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Maybe you should start fishing or something, God tells me building cars isn't your destiny :thumbleft:
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.