Tech Articles

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

eHoward
Banned

Tech Articles

Post by eHoward »

I'd like to expand this site to include some tech content.

I'm thinking that maybe members that are experts on certain areas of fiero-related topics could write some articles. You would post them here first and have them reviewed by the community and then later published at realfierotech.com/tech/

I think illustrated articles are more valuable then ones without pictures.

I can give out email addresses or custom titles to people that write articles.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

I think custom titles would be cool, like find a way to let people know who is the expert on which motors, and on anything really. Like have a tag for Cryzone that reads, "Expert on every motor possible in a Fiero, and still not be happy."

But really, like 3.4 DOHC below my name, N* below punisher and will, Boat Anchor beneath Shaun's, etc.

And with this, you can click the motor, and it will direct you to their tech write ups maybe? I dunno, just an idea.

I cannot write an article on the 3.4 swap yet, but I'd be willing to write a detailed writeup on the 3.4 DOHC in general, like horsepower, options, EVERY difference over the years, models found in, etc.

I think it would really expand this site as a technical resource.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Articles that I think would be useful:

How to drop the cradle from start to finish with pictures

Adding power the stock engine with dyno runs of different mods

Restoring the suspension with pictures of installation of new bushings

Organized detailed writeups on any of the engine swaps
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

eHoward wrote:Articles that I think would be useful:

I agree like, wow, 764%. I think all those would be amazing helps, to me especially as I plan on doing a lot of this stuff and have never done it before on a Fiero(Dropping the cradle, restoring suspension, and the swap).

I think a section on the 3.4 DOHC swap would just have to say http://www.dohcfiero.com, as that site has it completely covered. But I havn't found a website like that for any of the other swaps.

Oh, for the 3.4 OHV swap, just say "Drill a hole or two, it isn't hard, despite what 75% of those dumbfucks think."
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

eHoward wrote:Articles that I think would be useful:

i can help witht he picw of the poly bushing install with grease fittings - i think i may even have a short video somwhere of drilling out the rubber -
Oversteer

Post by Oversteer »

That would be a good idea. There are alot of people on this forum that know what they are talking about. And yes the 3.4 pr swap could be put into the same category as engine removal and installation.

I wish I had something to offer, but I am useless as shit. I am building an intake right now, if it works I will put it on here, if it doesn't I will save your time and my pride by leaving it alone.

Take it easy
He called the shit poop
Indy

Post by Indy »

I could do a Super Duty article, provided there's enough interest. Most of y'all don't waste time with the 4-banger.
Indy DOHC Turbo SD4.....someday.
Oh, and f*ck the envelope. (RFT Insurgent)
Oversteer

Post by Oversteer »

The SD4 stuff is awesome, I would love to read it. I bought a Pontiac Performance Catalogue with all the SD4 stuff in it. Very interesting.
He called the shit poop
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Oversteer wrote:The SD4 stuff is awesome, I would love to read it. I bought a Pontiac Performance Catalogue with all the SD4 stuff in it. Very interesting.
I agree, I really like reading on how people see past what everyone says about the ol Duke, and they build it. It is really interesting, especially the guys putting 4 valve heads on them, and turboes!

Oversteer, intake as in like a cold air intake or a new intake manifold. An intake manifold build is surely worth porting, I know I like reading them!
S8n

Post by S8n »

I'll do my best to do a photo history of my '87 Fiero GT/LS1 conversion. It will be done using V8Archie's kit (as soon as it is shipped to me!!).
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com
'87 GT *Now can be seen at V8Archie's!* www.fotki.com/8balls
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

I'm close to halfway done with my writeup for the 3.4 DOHC install in an 88 with pics. I'll post it here on RFT when its done or if I give up.. not planning on putting it on Old Europe.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Aaron wrote: Like have a tag for Cryzone that reads, "Expert on every motor possible in a Fiero, and still not be happy."
I'm happy with the N*, but probibly won't be happy with the stock output :thumbleft:

I like this idea. The next time I do something technical on my car I will take a ton of pics and post a how-to. I'm going to need another car... Most of my car is fairly modified. My next big upgrade will be 11.25 or 12" brakes.
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

I'll be sure to take plenty of pictures when I do my 12" Corvette brake swap this winter. Useing the Corvette calipers and all. Will be fabricating my own brackets and such. :thumbleft:
88 coupe: 2.0 turbo 4. T25, w2a, meth injection
MNFatz

Post by MNFatz »

I've got a couple of things I thought about documenting here.

1) 88 cradle into an 85 GT. I've got all the parts now. I picked up an 88 coupe cradle this summer and I just received the coil overs/adapters and sway bar setup from Held Motorsports the last tuesday.

2) 4 speed muncie rebuild. I own the Kent-Moore 'shim selector' tool for determining the shim thickness under the bearing races. I'm waiting on all my bearings to arrive. I was hoping to document a changeover to a 3.32 into a v6 case but I can't find a donor 3.32. Dammit. That, and I might not have the case bead blasted so it won't be as pretty as it could be. I can't find a muncie rebuild documented anywhere else on the internet...

3) ZZ4 swap. This might be beat to death. It will be on an 88 to 85 cradle swap though. I've got all the parts except for a remote waterpump, starter, rear brakes and misc plumbing parts in house now. When I get solid mounts welded up I'll be ready to do this thing.

I've got Fiero shit all over my house right now; I've GOT to start putting this car back together.

-Fatz
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I'm going to be putting together some braided stainless brake lines for the 6000 pretty soon. I'll get some pics and see about doing a decent write up.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: Tech Articles

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Installing Rodney Dickman's Door Detent Rollers: http://realfierotech.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... =3&t=17388

Along the same lines: Installing the detent spring via Rodney's spring installation tool: http://realfierotech.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... =3&t=17515

Repairing cracks in fenders and other RRIM and RIM body panels: http://realfierotech.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... =3&t=17516
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Repacking inner CV joints by crzyone: phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2169
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Never want to play with those needle bearings again lol. Was an interesting project though.

Hard to believe that was 7 years ago.