Fiero Formula in BSP

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

tehmaxfactr

Re: Fiero Formula in BSP

Post by tehmaxfactr »

I plan on it!
tehmaxfactr

Post by tehmaxfactr »

Question, on my 2.8 there is a breather tube from the valve cover to the intake. (Not the pcv one) its on the cab side of the car not the trunk. What I'm wondering is if I can Put one of the oil breather filters on it or just plug it. Does it has be routed to the vaccum lines?
I'm also working on getting the rest of the ac out and possibly getting a new radiator for it. Also got my blower box cleaned out with a new heater core put in.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

That's a breather line, and you do not want to plug it. You can put a small breather filter on it, but why not put the vacuum line back to it? It sounds like you're trying to solve a problem that isn't there.

Why do you want a new radiator for it?
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
tehmaxfactr

Post by tehmaxfactr »

I am doing a custom cold air that runs all the way out to the vent in the side of the car. I don't really want to put anything back in the car that is not needed, so if i can put a small breather filter on it i probably will do so, instead of routing the line back into the intake. Also, wouldn't that allow hot air to go from the valve cover into the intake after the temp sensor? As for the radiator, it was over heating a little when i parked it so i am going to be figuring out that problem.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Yes you can put a breather on that valve cover with no I'll effects. That tube was there for emissions reasons but since you are racing you won't need it. When I had an iron head setup years ago I put a breather on mine
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Son... what in the...
tehmaxfactr

Post by tehmaxfactr »

Haha we did a sticker bomb one weekend and the neighbor girl who is like 7 wanted to pit a hello Kitty on there :).
tehmaxfactr

Post by tehmaxfactr »

Made my initial list last night..... still more to go.

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

You have "solid" listed for your engine mount and "non-poly" listed for your trans mounts... you want all three powertrain mounts to be the same material or you're going to end up with all the stress on the stiffest one. Be prepared to repair cracks in your engine mount bracket when you replace the engine mount.

Ditch the poly end links and go with Rodney Dickman's spherical bearing endlinks.

Forget cross-drilled rotors for AutoX.

I don't think that a Blaster coil is worth the money either.

DEFINITELY go with rod-end lateral links if your class rules allow it.

Check www.shox.com for better prices than WCF

CAI won't give you meaningful performance improvement. Steel vacuum lines are strictly reliability and aren't something I'd spend money on, but it's your car
tehmaxfactr

Post by tehmaxfactr »

I don't think i saw the poly trans mount.... I will double check. I will make sure to check for cracks, I work in a steel fabrication shop so I shouldn't have any problem fixing them up.

Are you talking about the zero lash end links? I have those on the front. You think they would be good for the rear also?

those brakes that i have listed are the cross-drilled rotors for the front. I had replaced the rears recently.

I am not sure if the rod-end lateral links are legal, pretty sure they are not.

Thanks for that site... i didn't even know that one existed and WC is kinda expensive.

The CAI is mainly for getting the engine bay cleaned up and weight out of the car. My vacuum lines are pretty crappy so i think i might have to get some new ones to fix the leaks lines %)

Thanks for the input!
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

$10 worth of vacuum hose will work just as well as the $100 steel vacuum lines and make manifold removal easier
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I would run the WCF mounts rather than rubber ones.

http://www.westcoastfiero.com/mounts/mounts.html
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The rubber ones, particularly the forward trans mount, typically don't live long when driven hard.

Rodney also does replacement mounts... I like his better as they make use of the very commonly available muscle car trans mount

http://rodneydickman.com/catalog/produc ... ucts_id=35

His engine mount looks very similar to WCF's: http://rodneydickman.com/catalog/produc ... ucts_id=73
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

tehmaxfactr wrote:Are you talking about the zero lash end links? I have those on the front. You think they would be good for the rear also?
Yes.
tehmaxfactr wrote:those brakes that i have listed are the cross-drilled rotors for the front. I had replaced the rears recently.
Slotted & cross-drilled rotors aren't worth the extra $$$ over plain rotors for AutoX
tehmaxfactr wrote:I am not sure if the rod-end lateral links are legal, pretty sure they are not.
Double check the rule book... that's one of the best bang/$ mods available for the '88 suspension.
tehmaxfactr wrote:The CAI is mainly for getting the engine bay cleaned up and weight out of the car. My vacuum lines are pretty crappy so i think i might have to get some new ones to fix the leaks lines %)
Understand on the CAI... still don't think it's the lowest hanging fruit. Like I said above... vacuum hose can do the same job as steel lines for 0.1 the cost.

Thanks for the input![/quote]
tehmaxfactr

Post by tehmaxfactr »

Well, I ordered a bunch of parts and just got them in. I have decided to pull the trans out. The second and third synco are gone. I am going to get it rebuilt somewhere local here hopefully. while having the engine and stuff out I'll replace the itchy ass insulation. I cant stand that stuff. I will be doing the rear coil over conversion while its out of the car while replacing a bunch the bushing I ordered. What is a good estimate on getting a getrag rebuilt?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I thought there were a few seals and bearing that had been years out of production that made our getrags more or less impossible to rebuild...
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Rebuild kits occasionally pop up on eBay. You can use an NVG T550 kit if you have another source for the input shaft front bearing... Such as http://rodneydickman.com/catalog/produc ... cts_id=305

While the trans is out, build a hold down strap for the detent housing cover so it can't pop out and ruin your clutch.
tehmaxfactr

Post by tehmaxfactr »

could you post a link to the hold down strap? I havent ever seen anything about that.
Series8217 wrote:Rebuild kits occasionally pop up on eBay. You can use an NVG T550 kit if you have another source for the input shaft front bearing... Such as http://rodneydickman.com/catalog/produc ... cts_id=305

While the trans is out, build a hold down strap for the detent housing cover so it can't pop out and ruin your clutch.
tehmaxfactr

Post by tehmaxfactr »

I also picked up a new battery last night to put in the car.Image
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

that's a good price for the replacement bearing and all the specialty tools to swap it.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."