Fiero Formula in BSP

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

tehmaxfactr

Fiero Formula in BSP

Post by tehmaxfactr »

I will be making my 1988 Fiero Formula in a prepped BSP car for autocross. I want to start a thread on here to keep track of my progress and pick up some advice. A little background about my autocrossing. Next year will be my third year for autocrossed and I plan on running in BSP with a mildly prepped Fiero for locals. This year I built a CSP Miata and that soon turned into SSM. I want to build the car the same way I built my Miata, suspension first. I have autocrossed the Fiero about 10 times in E stock, my initial thoughts are UNDERSTEER. Over the next few months I will be documenting my build with pictures and text. If you have any suggestions feel free to give me a shout. I will post some pics tonight of my progress since last night.

My overall goals of this car are , to win the local region competition and eventually move into SSM. I have another Fiero with a 3.6 V6 out of a G6 that has been turboed. It is an 87 the cradle is hacked up and the head gasket it blown. My plan is to get that back running in the car and once it is in there for good to swap it over to my Formula.
Emc209i

Re: Fiero Formula in BSP

Post by Emc209i »

Good. In the mean time, what computer management are you using with the 3.6?
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Sounds good. Glad to have you here! I also run an '88 Fiero in autocross and track days.

Catch up on these threads to start off:
The SERIOUS Wheel & Tire Thread
Shock Valving, Spring Rates
Autocrossing the DOHC 88 Fiero
Can an '88 Fiero be competitive in SSM?
Notchback Rear Aero / Big Wing
Coupe/Formula Front End Aero
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I thought Fieros ran CSP...

You've picked the best year/model of Fiero for autocrossing.

Can you start a thread on your 3.6 swap?
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

I'd also be interested in seeing many many pictures of the 3.6 and turbo build.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
tehmaxfactr

Post by tehmaxfactr »

As for the ecu, I don't know what it is running. Honestly I saw the car on craigslist asked the guy if he wanted to trade for a running 1500$ mustang I had. He had no idea anything about the car. I fixed the transmission mount in the parking lot and drove it home. I got about 5 miles from the house and blew the head gasket. Havent done much but take it apart. I will be piecing it back together in the next few months.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Do you have pics of the engine swap and turbo build? I've always had it in the back of my head to upgrade from my 3.4 to a 3.6 eventually.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

tehmaxfactr wrote:As for the ecu, I don't know what it is running. Honestly I saw the car on craigslist asked the guy if he wanted to trade for a running 1500$ mustang I had. He had no idea anything about the car. I fixed the transmission mount in the parking lot and drove it home. I got about 5 miles from the house and blew the head gasket. Havent done much but take it apart. I will be piecing it back together in the next few months.
Installing the 3.6 out of the GXP has been next to impossible because of the computer management problem. If you do in fact have a Fiero which has this swap installed, it would be a great delight for us here to see a picture of the engine installed in the car. Think you could post one?
tehmaxfactr

Post by tehmaxfactr »

Yea I will post one on the morning. there is a thread on P F F on the original builder.
tehmaxfactr

Post by tehmaxfactr »

sorry for the wait.... Busy weekend carting at VIR and the autocrossing on Sunday!
tehmaxfactr

Post by tehmaxfactr »

Here is a picture of the car that I will actually be autocrossing. :)
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

I had a gut feeling you'd be posting a picture of that car. Is your name Mike, or did you buy that car from a Mike in Raleigh North Carolina?
tehmaxfactr

Post by tehmaxfactr »

I bought it from the guy that bought it from him. I don't have a lot of information on the care yet. any help is much appreciated.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Its a 3500, not the 3.6. Mike bought it from a guy in Florida. It needs a lot of help. The 3.6 is a DOHC engine that's a maintenance nightmare. The 3500 is a pushrod engine, descendent of the original 2.8.
tehmaxfactr

Post by tehmaxfactr »

Thanks, the guy I got it from couldn't tell me anything about it. I figured I can get my money's worth out of it if I needed to part it out.
tehmaxfactr

Post by tehmaxfactr »

You don't happen to know the model of the motor? Lz4 lze or lx9??
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

That's an lx9.

That yellow formula looks good. Can't wait to see the build thread on it getting it ready for bsp
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Its supposed to be an Lx9. There was a kid in Raleigh running around with an LZ8 Fiero that Mike was really interested in. No telling what those two did to the engine if anything. I'm not really big on the 60* degree engines so I didn't pay much attention.

From the reading I did back in the day about that lineup of engines, I think the Lx9 is the engine to have. If you can get the car to look as nice as your yellow formula, you'll have a nice ride. :good:
tehmaxfactr

Post by tehmaxfactr »

The blue car is pretty beat..... what I'm thinking about is get it running in the blue car and then swapping it to the formula. I figure then I can have it on the good 88 suspension that will be all new and sorted the way I like and then put something with some power in it. :)
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Gotcha. Well its your car and you have the right to modify it any way you see fit. But it would sure be a shame to cut up that pretty car's trunk to fit that engine in there. You ought to do a swap that doesn't require any cutting. A yellow 3800 SC would look good in there. :)