Custom cradle?

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: Custom cradle?

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

You mean fore/aft? It should be workable. It's wide, but obviously not too wide to fit.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

ericjon262 wrote: that would be the easiest option...
The "easy way" is probably to buy a Corvette...
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:You mean fore/aft? It should be workable. It's wide, but obviously not too wide to fit.
I was meaning to be able to drop the powertrain through the bottom with the suspension in place.
The Dark Side of Will wrote:
ericjon262 wrote: that would be the easiest option...
The "easy way" is probably to buy a Corvette...

88 suspension is definitely easier than buying a corvette...
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Easier? No.. Cheaper? Yes.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Series8217 wrote:Cheaper? Yes.
=> easier.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Don't take this the wrong way, because I'm not aiming this at you, more or less the Fiero community as a whole. If every person logged the number of hours they've been working on their car in order to "save money", and multiplied said hours by the opportunity cost of that time, most could be driving a much nicer vehicle that does not require modification to bring it out of the stone age.

That said, can't wait to see what alternatives you dig up.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

That's the gist of my response...

Once you get a few years under your belt value your time a bit more, modifying a Fiero to go fast becomes something you do because you like how much it hurts, not because of how good you can make it for the effort (propaganda from .nl not withstanding).
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Emc209i wrote:Don't take this the wrong way, because I'm not aiming this at you, more or less the Fiero community as a whole. If every person logged the number of hours they've been working on their car in order to "save money", and multiplied said hours by the opportunity cost of that time, most could be driving a much nicer vehicle that does not require modification to bring it out of the stone age.

That said, can't wait to see what alternatives you dig up.
The Dark Side of Will wrote:That's the gist of my response...

Once you get a few years under your belt value your time a bit more, modifying a Fiero to go fast becomes something you do because you like how much it hurts, not because of how good you can make it for the effort (propaganda from .nl not withstanding).
and my responses were also in a joking manner, I'm sure if I really wanted to, I could go get a loan for a BRZ or corvette, but I don't see any enjoyment out of buying something that is already awesome, mainly because anyone can do that. my car hasn't saved me any money, I'm sure I have more than enough(time+money) in it to have bought a nice C4, or older C5 by now.

the other reason, is I couldn't stand the thought of spending money on a C4/C5 and being beat by all the stock fieros with 4.9 swaps from old europe... :-D
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

so this is kinda coming back from the dead... I have a set of 88 rear knuckles and bearings, and am planning on fabbing up a quick and dirty 88 based cradle for the car. I plan to use aluminum tubes with rod ends, guru's link relocating kit, and C5 e-brake setup. if someone has an accurate drawing of the 88 cradle mounting points and pickup points, I'd appreciate it.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

"Accurate"... Hmmm.

If you have the hub carriers, then you know the longitudinal separation of the pivots. I can get you the lateral separation of the pivots from a spare cradle I have, but not for a couple of weeks.

Building on my measurements of Corvette wheels indicating they should fit with a 1 1/8" spacer, I had been thinking of knuckle designs that would push the wheel mounting face (via a ZR1 hub) and probably the outer suspension pivots out by 1" or so, while moving the strut mount inboard for more wheel clearance.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

fieroguru on here made a cradel off 88 dimensions i am sure. he could prob share that info with you.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

so, there were drawing in Blooze kitcar build, and when I went to retrieve them, they were little x's, posted this thread, and one on Old Europe, and then the pictures re-appeared.

I'll repost them here later.