turn signals quit working

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Shaun41178(2)

turn signals quit working

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Here is what I have checked. The 4 ways still work, so I know its not a blown fuse, but I checked it anyways and it is good..

The stalk clicks and locks in both the up and down position, but there is no lights on the dash, and the clicky thing under the dash makes no noise.

is there somethng obvious I should look for thats known to fail?
ericjon262

Re: turn signals quit working

Post by ericjon262 »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:Here is what I have checked. The 4 ways still work, so I know its not a blown fuse, but I checked it anyways and it is good..

The stalk clicks and locks in both the up and down position, but there is no lights on the dash, and the clicky thing under the dash makes no noise.

is there somethng obvious I should look for thats known to fail?

had a very similar problem a few months ago, turned out to be the actual switch in the steering column. it's a bitch to replace, but nowhere near as bad as I expected. hazards worked, but blinkers and stop didn't. after swapping the switch out, everything worked.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I swapped the relays between the 4 ways and the turn signal and no change.

Also I noticed that my side marker lights don't flash with the 4 ways activated. Only the the taillights, and the front ones down low in the front bumper flash. Are the side marker lights supposed to flash too? can someone chek theirs real quick?

what switch in the steering column you talking about eric? pic?
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

When you say you swapped the "relay", you mean the little round flasher, ya? The flasher for the signals is under the steering wheel attached to the kick panel. The flasher for the hazard is under the right side of the dashboard by the blue dingy box.

The hazards and flashers use a different fuse. So if your hazards work, that doesn't mean the fuse for the turn signals is goods. The signals use "Turn B/U" and the hazards use "STOP HAZ" in the fuse block. Both do use the same grounds, so that's not a problem. The side flashers are in series with the front and rear, so if the blinker is ever going for the front and back, the sides should be going also at all times.

Check ALL the bulbs and replace any blown bulbs, check the TURN B/U fuse. Swap or replace the flasher. Then try again. Should work. If not, it's the column switch.